20/21 Match thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC - PL | Vital Football

20/21 Match thread - Tottenham Hotspur vs Aston Villa FC - PL

Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Should be a great week of football coming up.

Tuesday night we have the Leicester vs Chelsea game. Then on Weds, all 4 of Spurs, West Ham, Everton and Arsenal play.

Like 80, I'm OK with the line-up being the same for Villa.

Should be a great week of football coming up.

Tuesday night we have the Leicester vs Chelsea game. Then on Weds, all 4 of Spurs, West Ham, Everton and Arsenal play.

Like 80, I'm OK with the line-up being the same for Villa.

Can't think of a single reason other than tiredness/slow recovery why he should.

3 games in 7 days, does that mean rotation in some positions is required ? Or can Masons so called best team play all 3.

Who is going to keep Grealish quiet ?
I would expect Villa to come at us possibly more than Wolves did.
Lo Celso has not been great.
Son a bit distracted perhaps?
Can Bale start 3 games in 7 days ?

I would suggest we need tenacity in MF and maybe Bale coming on as s sub as opposed to starting. ?

We're going to have to turn up the wick a bit, or at least have lady luck playing for us.
Same line up as the Wolves match please.
Would love to see Dele score or assist. Just want to see a good honest performance from everyone, which we'll need as Wet Spam are playing WBA and Soton, whereas we have Villa and the Foxes.

If we finish 6th I'll see that as a fair result given we paid Jose to destroy our club from the inside out and mentally scar some players.

Match facts from the BBC
Head-to-head

• Tottenham could set a new club record of six straight wins against Aston Villa.
  • Spurs are looking to complete their seventh Premier League double over Villa, a feat they have only achieved against Everton and Manchester City.
  • The Villans have lost 12 of the past 13 meetings in all competitions, with the exception being a victory under Tim Sherwood in April 2015.
Tottenham Hotspur

• Ryan Mason is the first Spurs boss to win his opening three home matches in charge since Harry Redknapp in November 2008.
  • Against Wolves, Spurs had more shots (24) and more shots on target (13) than they did in any Premier League game under Jose Mourinho.
  • They have won eight of their past nine home fixtures in all competitions, scoring 24 goals in those victories.
  • Spurs have won 11 and drawn one of their 12 most recent Premier League home games played on a Wednesday.
  • Harry Kane has scored seven goals in his past six Premier League appearances against Aston Villa.
  • The only players to exceeded Kane's 35 goal involvements (22 goals, 13 assists) in Europe's top five leagues this season are Bayern Munich's Robert Lewandowski and Barcelona's Lionel Messi.
Aston Villa

• Aston Villa's tally of 49 points is their highest in a Premier League season since the 64 they accrued under Martin O'Neill in 2009-10.
  • Villa's eight league away wins is as many as they recorded in their previous three top-flight campaigns combined.
  • They could set a new club top-flight record of nine away clean sheets in a season.
  • Their solitary victory in their final away league game over the past 18 seasons came at Arsenal in 2010-11.
  • Dean Smith's side have lost all five of their Premier League matches played on a Wednesday this season.

Another grovelling statement from Levy up on the Spurs website. Admitting our playing style has suffered. Admitting the club got things wrong but patting itself on the back for Covid NHS involvement.

From Levy's website message:

"We are acutely aware of the need to select someone whose values reflect those of our great Club and return to playing football with the style for which we are known – free-flowing, attacking and entertaining – whilst continuing to embrace our desire to see young players flourish from our Academy alongside experienced talent."

I guess that narrows down the type of head Coach we are looking for.

It is an arrogant prick that tells his fans that he'd spent £250m on new players in the last 2 years before even thanking them for their support this season. Just like apologising to the NFL executives for the stadium delay before his own season ticket holders.

Levy's comms show a complete lack of cultural and leadership skills. He should fire his comms guy (or gal).

Agreed. I was thinking of maybe a man-marking role for PEH. Just follow Grealish wherever he goes.

That means dropping Bale for me.

Play Bergwijn or Moura on the right wing in front of Tanganga and smother Grealish every time he’s on the ball.

He won’t last beyond the hour mark, then Bale can come on put the cherry on the cake.

Team to play Aston Villa: Lloris, Tanganga, Dier, Alderweireld, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Winks, Alli, Son, Bergwijn, Kane.

Subs: Hart, Doherty, Sanchez, Bale, Lamela, Lo Celso, Aurier, Moura, Ndombele.