20/21 Match thread - Aston Villa FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL | Page 11 | Vital Football

20/21 Match thread - Aston Villa FC vs Tottenham Hotspur - PL

Result

• Win

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Lose

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Harry interview was interesting. He admitted we were off it the last 2 games. Kind of backing Jose.
I thought Tanganga cancelled out Auriers poison and he put in a good performance.
Hojbjerg provided more grit and steel than Winks.
Vinnie was a surprise and he worked very hard.
Moura was fantastic.
Kane was more energetic and dropping deep.
Rodon did ok and was eager to impress.
I'm not sure Ndombele justified his selection , he improved a bit second half.

If Jose picked the team for attitude, it worked. Some tactical tweaks as well to freshen things up.

As I said before, demanding top 4 by Levy is unrealistic, hope for it yes. We have a doable run in if we can stay up for it.

“As I said before, demanding top 4 by Levy is unrealistic, hope for it yes”.

Top 4 was never unrealistic. However, the disease of poor attitude, square pegs in round holes etc will never nett anything worthwhile.

We’ve been consistently inconsistent, and have no idea what our best 11 looks like.

Levy had every right to demand or expect top 4. He had no idea Jose was to encounter such a demotivated bunch. All this combined with a ‘yesterday man’ type of management/ coaching tactics is resulting in a scrappy mush mash of a season.

Nobody saw Wet Spam coming, and we all hoped the foxes would curl up and go back to sleep.

We’re definitely capable, but have lacked leadership on and off the field to warrant top 4.

“As I said before, demanding top 4 by Levy is unrealistic, hope for it yes”.

Top 4 was never unrealistic. However, the disease of poor attitude, square pegs in round holes etc will never nett anything worthwhile.

We’ve been consistently inconsistent, and have no idea what our best 11 looks like.

Levy had every right to demand or expect top 4. He had no idea Jose was to encounter such a demotivated bunch. All this combined with a ‘yesterday man’ type of management/ coaching tactics is resulting in a scrappy mush mash of a season.

Nobody saw Wet Spam coming, and we all hoped the foxes would curl up and go back to sleep.

We’re definitely capable, but have lacked leadership on and off the field to warrant top 4.
If today's team continues to show heart and desire, we can be dare to do. Up to Jose to keep getting that tune out of them.

That defence worked their nuts off to maintain a clean sheet. Bet they are chuffed.

Last edited:
Getting top 4 is not unrealistic, but demanding it with City, Utd, Liverpool and the Chavs in the mix is. Add to that Leicester, Everton and W Ham performing as they have and it's even less a given.
Set targets yes, but demanding or expecting is stretching it. It's good to shoot for the stars of course.

Just watched the replay, Good result, have to say against a lack-lustre team. The penalty was a travesty . Defender goes to ground to block the cross, Kane misses the ball and falls on him. Kane is a master at drawing the foul - drives me nuts, cunning sneaky bastard!
Drafted this then took a look at the posts; I see Pompey makes the same analysis.

My question about the players being a "demotivated bunch" is why would that bunch be so choosey about when to be demotivated though? Why be so motivated for Burnley and Fulham etc. but unanimously decide to be motionless and lost for arguably our biggest league game of the season, against bitter rivals, at a time where a win could push us closer to a CL spot?

What. The hell. Changes?!

The only disappointment in the game was when Jose bottled it and bought Sissoko on. That could have really come back to bite us.

Other than that, good result. Villa were poor after we scored but our second half was much improved.

Sisososo can be a dead body when the opposition has exhausted themselves, but instead of seeing an op for more goals, Jose sees locking the game out, fortunately we had no need to score anymore as their attack was woeful.

Sisososo can be a dead body when the opposition has exhausted themselves, but instead of seeing an op for more goals, Jose sees locking the game out, fortunately we had no need to score anymore as their attack was woeful.
The Sissoko sub was the one disappointment for me.

Ndombele was absolutely dominating the game for the 15-20 minutes prior to his substitution. The way we were playing the next goal was only going to come from us. That's how you defend a two-goal lead.

After the way Sissoko defended for the second (in particular) and third goals in Zagreb I wouldn't pick him in a Spurs shirt again this season. And then I'd move him on.

The Sissoko sub was the one disappointment for me.

Ndombele was absolutely dominating the game for the 15-20 minutes prior to his substitution. The way we were playing the next goal was only going to come from us. That's how you defend a two-goal lead.

After the way Sissoko defended for the second (in particular) and third goals in Zagreb I wouldn't pick him in a Spurs shirt again this season. And then I'd move him on.

In a nutshell, this is why we need to remove Jose from his position. He cannot help himself with his biases and negativity.

Was thinking whilst watching the game what Jose has done to help Dele get back to his best since the "reconciliation" the day after transfer deadline day. Gio comes off the bench in the 70th minute during the week after a long layoff and plays extra time. He then gets thrown into the league team. Can't remember Jose doing that with Dele however well he plays in our shirt. Not that I don't like Gio of course, but it was a little hint of the bias in operation.

Now we only have league games left for a month, it will be interesting to see whether players like Japhet get to keep their shirts. I have a feeling that Jose's job would have been hanging by a thread this morning if Japhet hadn't used his smarts 2 or 3 times in the first half.

Villa pulled our boys down in nearly every attack; we got very few fouls awarded in our favour. They dived at nearly every contact and were rewarded with free kicks galore, near our box. Moura was sent tunbling six or more times in dangerous areas, with only one yellow being awarded. Villa never stood off when we had the odd free kick but he booked Hoj on the first occasion he encroached. Dean is our nemesis. I was shocked when he gave the pen.

I just cannot warm to Ndimbele ...I watched him closely and he strolls about like a strutting pheasant ...yes he has the odd amazing run or trick....but look how deep he was playing and as a supposed playmaker and AM he was doing short one twos with Hoj and not pushing on...he is lazy and overrated and does not put in a shift ....he needs upgrading to a player who really really cares and puts his heart on the pitch like Moura, and Lamela show. I would sell him aand get a player who consistently provides end product.

Those who think Ndimbele worked his socks off were certainly warching a different game to me.

A nine out of ten performance from Lucas, best player on the park by a distance. I haven't rated any Spurs players performance that highly in quite a long time.
Yesterday's match was a fixture where the train smash could have exploded in flames. Fate seems to be smiling on Mourinho insofar as that after last weeks debacles we should get successive fixtures against Villa, a woeful team without Grealish who is frittering his career away there, and relegation bound Newcastle. Probably together with ShefU the three worst performing PL teams currently.
You can do no more than win though, and we gave a professional and efficient if unspectacular performance yesterday. After we thrash Newcastle in the next outing, early prediction 5-0, all the top four hype will start again in the media and amongst fans. With six points out of six we will again be back in the mix, but probability is that the cracks will have only temporarily been papered over.
Our season outcome is basically in Chelsea's hands. If they gather as many points as us over the balance of the season, which they are quite capable of, our season will be a failure even if we win The Reserve Team Cup, irrespective of whatever claims Mourinho makes otherwise.
If they slip up, which may happen given that they are contesting three competitions, our season will come down to our away form in the run in. We have three potentially difficult and dangerous away games still to come against Everton, Leeds and Leicester. If we can find the character and commitment to take seven points from those three matches, who knows, just maybe....

I just cannot warm to Ndimbele ...I watched him closely and he strolls about like a strutting pheasant ...yes he has the odd amazing run or trick....but look how deep he was playing and as a supposed playmaker and AM he was doing short one twos with Hoj and not pushing on...he is lazy and overrated and does not put in a shift ....he needs upgrading to a player who really really cares and puts his heart on the pitch like Moura, and Lamela show. I would sell him aand get a player who consistently provides end product.

Those who think Ndimbele worked his socks off were certainly warching a different game to me.

I must admit to questioning what i watched. He was a lazy git in my eyes. I lost count of misplaced passes to team mates. The little 5yrd passes with Hojbjerg look half arsed, as though he is saying, go on its your turn to run. He does a 5 minute cameo every so often which then has everyone dreaming but god he needs a rocket up his arse. Effort is basics for me. I cannot and will not accept any excuses for lack of effort.

Moura and Reggie did nothing but dribble past the Villa team. I didn't see Moura stopped legally except maybe once. Reggie was stopped each time by two blokes which if our defenders had sandwiched him, would have been free kicks every time. If our defender had crocked Reg it would have been an instant yellow. Moura was lucky not to have been injured after the waves of assaults on him. We should be campaigning against our unfair treatment by match officials; not campaigning against our own manager.

I must admit to questioning what i watched. He was a lazy git in my eyes. I lost count of misplaced passes to team mates. The little 5yrd passes with Hojbjerg look half arsed, as though he is saying, go on its your turn to run. He does a 5 minute cameo every so often which then has everyone dreaming but god he needs a rocket up his arse. Effort is basics for me. I cannot and will not accept any excuses for lack of effort.
He also won us countless free kicks. It seemed every time he beat a player they just fouled him. And with impunity because there were no yellow cards issued. And it's happened against other teams recently too.

Having said that I can see why you would say he looks lazy. It goes back to a previous discussion: is he playing a much safer role under instruction or is he simply not trying.

For our second goal it was he who dispossessed the Villa player on the halfway line and quickly fed the pass to Moura that led to Kane's penalty. In about three seconds he turned defence into attack that led to the goal. That's what he gives us. After that he totally dominated until for some unfathomable reason he was hooked for Sissoko.

Vini really grew into the game last night. His physical presence alone caused Villa a lot of problems. And he created space for Kane once the latter adjusted his game to him.

I'm not sure that we've seen enough quality yet to suggest he would be a first choice forward or replacement for Kane. As a squad player though he'd be a valuable addition. The problem is his release clause. I just can't us paying or even justifying the reported £40m.