2 little ducks. | Page 2 | Vital Football

2 little ducks.

What’s the weather like in your parallel universe?

I'd suggest you live in a parallel universe if you think League One teams should generally lose to teams 2 or 3 divisions below them. As I say, I have no doubt we'll come a cropper, but that doesn't change the fact that we have better players than these teams and should beat them!

If anyone has any stats on League One vs National League in the Cup I’d be interested to see them.

Dunno about over a period of years.

But last weekend, the split of League v Non League was approx 12 wins for the league side, 12 draws and 3 or 4 wins for non-league.

(I'm vague because without checking the league tables, I didn't know if some were L2 or non-league).

Anyway, as many draws as wins for the league team and a couple of upsets. I'd imagine that would be pretty representative most seasons.

And I'd assume the above stats would weigh a little more in favour of the L1 teams if I'd split L1 and L2.

I am not convinced that we will beat Hartlepool for the same reasons that we didn't beat Carlisle or Brackley.

An understandable viewpoint, Mark, but I really do think we are a better away team this season than we were at the time we played Carlisle & Brackley.

It will be tough at Hartlepool, they are a decent NL side and will raise their game. But there will be pressure on them to take the initiative and that seems to be the recipe for better Gills` performances as we can involve our pacey players (plural) , an asset we didn`t have at Carlisle or Brackley. Given that Pools home form hasn`t been very good (they have more points on the road) and there will be a small but noisy contingent of Gills present, I believe we will win the game.

Maybe. But I understood SL was a phsycologial manager, one who could understand players and thereby develop them.