1st team squad Next season squad | Vital Football

1st team squad Next season squad

FCBEARS

Vital Football Legend
I know it is early but as I sit at my desk in the spare room I thought I would put up a post and we can just add to it.

I see there is a big piece on the main page which also inspired me to put this up.

So at this rate next season we will have:

GK:

Gunn *
McGovern *
Matthews
Jones *

I can't see McGovern staying around. I can see the club wanting him to stay as he will be on low wages and also be a good head to help Matthews and be a good back up but I just think he will want to be playing first-team football.

Jones is out of contract and I can't see that he will be staying.

Will Gunn come back? Or is it time to finally give Matthews the number 1? It is a tricky one. Matthews has been brilliant at Plymouth but will playing for his club be a bit too much or will he take it with both hands?

In my view, I think it is time to give the jersey to him, sell McGovern, bring in another older GK to be the number 2 but also good enough if things look to be too tough for Matthews like a Ross Turnbull, or if DF wants to go for a German then Sören Pirson. There might be an argument for a number 3 too but I think Oxborough will be okay for that but he is out of contract in the summer too so I would recommend we give him a new deal as he could be another future new 1.

So for me defo need a new GK as a backup and if being over safe then maybe a second too.

Defender Right:

Pinto

It is obvious that we need improvement on this side of the pitch. I like Pinto but he isn't a brilliant defender and has injury issues. The fact that we had to use a defensive midfielder and DF also said that Tettey and Watkins can play there is a bit of a worry but to be fair Reed did well.

We have players in the u23s such as Efete but he has been out on loan and his contract is up and I doubt they will keep him. I think DF might go for a player who can cover more than one position but RB is a need.

Godfrey can cover but I think it is a waste of his talent playing him there and when AN tried it it never looked right.

Defender Left:

Lewis
Husband

You look at that and it looks decent for this league and to be honest I think we are okay in this position. We also have Stiepermann if really needed. The only thing has Husband impressed enough I haven't seen much to make me feel confident but as a back up he is okay.

Defender Central:

Hanley
Raggett *
Klose *
Zimmermann
Franke *

If the 3 players I have highlighted leave then we will defo need improvement in this department. I think DF will want to give Franke another chance. Klose might be moved on as he is on high wages and could command a nice fee. Raggett hasn't seemed to impressed DF even Zimmermann who was on death's door was on the bench and played ahead of him. Another loan for 6 months at a league 1 club might be on the cards. I think we will need at least one new player if Franke stays. Will be interesting what happens here as I think DF will be looking back to Toni Leistner who is on a free in summer and could be a replacement for Klose.

Again Godfrey can do a job there but still a waste of talents.

Right Wing:

Hernandez

Really we only have one out and out right winger but have players like Murphy, Wildschut who can play there but still maybe something to look at. We have youngsters like Power and Fonkeu who can also play there but will they be involved next season? For me maybe something to look into.

Left Wing:

Murphy
Wildschut *
Jarvis

I think Wildschut will be sold and I honestly think Jarvis will be given another chance in his last year of the contract. Again Hernandez can cover. I can only see Jarvis being injured again. Would Murphy stay next season? I don't see why not. Would having Murphy and Hernandez be enough? I don't think so I think we need to add another winger to the squad.

Central Midfield:

Tettey * (D)
Thompson (D)
Godfrey (D)
Reed * (D)
Vrancic (A)
Leitner * (A)
Stiepermann (D)
Trybull (D)
Phillips (A)
Cantwell (A)

A - Attacking
D - Defensive

Lots of names on that list yet we have struggled with injuries this season. I would think Tettey will go, I think Reed will go back to Saints if they come down but if they stay up will we go for him? He has been okay but I think we have better in Godfrey and Thompson. Phillips and Cantwell untried in this English level of football. Stiepermann has played most of the time for us as a left back and wasn't that great and hasn't shown much that makes me confident of him being a long-term 1st team player. Leitner I'd hope would be signed but I think he would be played further up in a Maddison role and the same for Cantwell. Phillips I think will be given another loan away but I would be happy for him to be included as he looks decent. If Thompson is fit then Thompson - Godfrey - Trybull - Vrancic and maybe another like Jon Nolan would be perfect.

For me, Stiepermann can do with being loaned out or something. I don't think we need Reed if we get Thompson fit and can sign a Nolan.

Attacking Midfield:

Wes *
Maddison *
Edwards *
Naismith *
Watkins *

Well all of them are uncertain for next season. Wes Ii would like to stay just because of his good work but I guess its not the way to think. He isn't the same player he was and I think he would be on a decent wage. Maddison I would love to stay but I think DF and Webber will see him as our whole transfer budget if we can push £25 million out of him. I had a feeling he would stay with us and see how it is in January but I do think the club will want to sell for the money. Edwards well who is he? I think he has the quality to do it in this league but the last thing we need is another player who causes issues. There might be something in that we will either get him in part of a deal with spuds if they go for Maddison but I just can't see it. Naismith will go and will also save on wages and bring in some money. Watkins, I put in as I've no idea what his best position is and I don't think has done anything to deserve to stay here. If Derby or Forest or who ever it was still offer 2.5 million for him I would take it.

I think if all of them are to go then Cantwell will be pushed but we will need improvements. Leitner might be another to come in and fill the gap but I think we will still need another attacking player.

We have Mourgos in the u23s who has been doing well and also young McIntosh too.

Forwards:

Oli *
Morris
Srbeny
Abrahams

Oli for me will go. I don't think he is happy and also I don't think we have played him correctly he is not a lone forward as he drifts so much to the wings. Give him a quick partner and he would be better but hey what do I know? I think if we can get anywhere near what was being offered in summer we would be silly not to take. He has caused a few issues and been off form. I just don't want him to sign for another championship club but what other clubs would go for him except maybe Wolves?

Morris will be given a go and I think he will be decent not a massive goal scorer but a maker of goals and will causes issues.

Srbeny not seen enough to make a judgement but will be here next season

Abrahams should be given a go but I think a loan will be in the offering.

We need a new forward/s and one with a good scoring record which we all know will not be cheap I suggest that it is someone from the english leagues. We have signed Davenport but he will either be in u23s or loaned.

GK - RB - CD - Winger - Attacking Midfielder - Forwards
So lot to do.

Great post Bears.
Tuckster. It needs to go on home page.

How are things going with your daughter ?

It all seems a bit gloomy to me with most talent leaving and
more average players coming in, which if they do not work out will result
in a relegation battle.

Great post Bears, very informative.

Basically a new squad then - a second new beginning and coming - but what about the youngsters Bears - can we realistically blood any of them?.