1st november 1964 | Vital Football

1st november 1964

Rod Currie

Vital Football Legend
The day the late GREAT KING OF THE WING scored his first goal for THE MIGHTY BLADES.What a player this fella was,after GOD my favrit player of all time,what a partnership they were,add Sir LEN and ya have my BLADES holy trinity,truly MAJESTIC.UTCB

Words fail me......just wonderful.

Blocky, please save and show us all again some time soon.....37 minutes
of warm memories mate.

The day the late GREAT KING OF THE WING scored his first goal for THE MIGHTY BLADES.What a player this fella was,after GOD my favrit player of all time,what a partnership they were,add Sir LEN and ya have my BLADES holy trinity,truly MAJESTIC.UTCB

Rod, according to my records, Woody’s 1st goal for us in the league was the day before, i.e. 31st October (in a loss at Leeds), although he had scored the previous May against Barnsley in the County Cup.
I watched his League debut on a Wednesday night at Liverpool. Although we lost 3-1 (Birchenall scored for us) it was obvious even then that we had unearthed a “jewel”.
I remember it as though it was yesterday.
Actually , that’s not quite true, because I can’t really remember anything about yesterday. :bag: :shake:

Watching this I notice something I'd forgotten....TC wearing 8.
He started off wearing the number 8 shirt Chippy, he was actually playing as a striker for a good while before Harris moved him to playmaker and he donned the number 10 on a regular basis.

He started off wearing the number 8 shirt Chippy, he was actually playing as a striker for a good while before Harris moved him to playmaker and he donned the number 10 on a regular basis.

I have no idea if this is true,but why let the truth spoil a good story as they say, I was told TC switched to the number 10 shirt after the Mexico World Cup and the performances of the Brazilian number 10

Did he wear 9 for a few matches Gray?
Or old age and merged memories?

I have no idea if this is true,but why let the truth spoil a good story as they say, I was told TC switched to the number 10 shirt after the Mexico World Cup and the performances of the Brazilian number 10

TC made his SUFC debut wearing 10, v Spurs at BDBL on 26/2/68, and he scored. During the rest of that season, he played in another 10 league games as a 10, plus one as a 9, and one as an 11. Also, 2 County Cup games wearing 10.
The following season (68/69), he started off as a 10, but as the season wore on, mainly as an 8. In all games: 21 as a 10, 24 as an 8, 2 as a 9, and 1 as a 12 (FA Cup 3rd round).
The next season (69/70), he again switched frequently between 10 and 8 (19 as 10 and 34 as 8).
The next 6 seasons, (after the 1970 World Cup) he always played in the 10 shirt.
I have no idea whether this was coincidence or a JH master stroke.

TC made his SUFC debut wearing 10, v Spurs at BDBL on 26/2/68, and he scored. During the rest of that season, he played in another 10 league games as a 10, plus one as a 9, and one as an 11. Also, 2 County Cup games wearing 10.
The following season (68/69), he started off as a 10, but as the season wore on, mainly as an 8. In all games: 21 as a 10, 24 as an 8, 2 as a 9, and 1 as a 12 (FA Cup 3rd round).
The next season (69/70), he again switched frequently between 10 and 8 (19 as 10 and 34 as 8).
The next 6 seasons, (after the 1970 World Cup) he always played in the 10 shirt.
I have no idea whether this was coincidence or a JH master stroke.
in the 60s the number 10 shirt was worn by the second striker and number 8 was usually the inside right as it was in those days mick jones was always number 9 and alan birchenall number 10 commonly nicknamed the blonde bombers thanks to dick wragg we got relegated after selling both of em !