1936..... | Vital Football

1. That's England in the photo

2. I've seen us play on German soil twice in the past 5 years

3. I don't think any of the Rams on here would stoop so low as to suggest your club was Nazi supporting

You may like to take it down as it is a) factually incorrect and b) in exceedingly poor taste

If it was an attempt at humour, it failed miserably. As did your club this season. 25 seasons on the trot you have ended the season below Derby. Reflect on that.

1. That's England in the photo

2. I've seen us play on German soil twice in the past 5 years

3. I don't think any of the Rams on here would stoop so low as to suggest your club was Nazi supporting

You may like to take it down as it is a) factually incorrect and b) in exceedingly poor taste

If it was an attempt at humour, it failed miserably. As did your club this season. 25 seasons on the trot you have ended the season below Derby. Reflect on that.

Afraid Basie’s right, MA...it’s us - in 1934 I think. The hero was the ‘keeper, Jack Kirby, who not only wouldn’t salute but turned his back on the bastards. Guy next to him looks a bit reluctant too.

In their defence, they were 1930’s footballers doing as they were told...probably ill informed and it was sometime before everything really kicked off.

Is it right that Aston Villa refused to give the Nazi salute?

Believe so, cropped. 1938 I think...the day after the England players gave a Nazi salute the Villa players didn’t.
Not quite Villa 1 v Derby 0 though...they claimed it was all a misunderstanding and did give the salute for the next match.
Guess most sportsmen just did as they were told in the name of ‘diplomacy’ back then. Even more credit to Jack Kirby imo.

At least one sportsman who didn't whether he was told to or not - Jesse Owens at the 1936 Berlin Olympics.

__Pgnaus Jesse Owens American Sprinter 1936 Berlin Olympics.jpg

Yes, Basie...Jesse Owens stance was brave and laudable but credit where it’s due...Jack Kirby’s was equally so, if less well known.

Afraid Basie’s right, MA...it’s us - in 1934 I think. The hero was the ‘keeper, Jack Kirby, who not only wouldn’t salute but turned his back on the bastards. Guy next to him looks a bit reluctant too.

In their defence, they were 1930’s footballers doing as they were told...probably ill informed and it was sometime before everything really kicked off.

Thanks for pointing out my error and my apologies to RB on this one. I remember seeing this photo before and the blurb said it was England. You obviously can't trust everything you see/read on tinterweb thingy ( shock, horror ;) )

Last edited:
Latest Rams News