17 April 1976 - your memories | Vital Football

17 April 1976 - your memories

Co-op Stand Imp

Vital Reserves Team
I’ll kick off with Donny’s shocking chocolate brown kit (like Coventry) and Percy’s diving header. And now you’re gonna believe us .........

Queueing down the street, getting lifted over the turnstile, being placed front row against the wall of The Railway End in the corner with The West Bank as that was about the only place where it would be possible to see anything. First ever pitch invasion at the end and then back to my Uncle's house for a celebratory tea with the cousins.

As a Schoolboy living in Luton, I remember being very happy going to school the next day and telling all my mates that we had won the league. Surprisingly they were not in the least bit interested. This was when I knew that the Imps were the team for me.

My second ever game at the Bank , 24 hours after the first against Stockport. Clearly thought that this would be the norm for every match!!

Frustration - the Stockport and Donny games over Easter were the only two home games I missed that season, we were at my grandparents in north Wales, I was following the games on the radio (score updates if radio 2 could be arsed) and like a bear with a sore head all weekend.

As it turned out, it was my last time with my grandad in his own home. By the time I'd done A-levels and saw him again he was in hospital as he was too frail to cope while my grandma had cancer treatment ( successful, she lived 15 more years ) and he died in October 76 just before I started uni.

So with hindsight my focus and ire was wrong that weekend - but I had to wait 41 years before finally witnessing the Imps winning a title and missing Donny still hurts.

Buying one of those white (polyester) scarves with red writing from a seller on the corner of Gowts Bridge. All well and good but then the red writing peeled / scratched off as soon as you tied it around your wrist or folded it. It didn’t last much longer.

Ah well, when all said and done it made this eleven year old happy !

Happy times all round, so looked forward to every home match. Dad, mum and I with season tickets in the St Andrews Stand. Dad use to leave the Echo early to get there for 3 O’Clock, he missed a few and cut it fine on others. Mum with her flask of warm milk with the rum in it. They really were happy happy times all round, the little things in life you appreciate more and I’m not talking material things either.

Was to be one of the most important games at that time of my Imps supporting career after 16 years of mainly dross. Couldn't wait for the day, got onto Sincil Bank early with my girlfriend of the time, settled into the game, 1-0 up all my dreams coming true, and then gf said I dont feel very well can you take me home !!!!! We clambered over the turnstile to get out, not to be beaten, rang my dad who picked gf up from the High Street and he took her home ! Back to the Ground for part of the second half, blagged my way into the Railway end this time, remember the Percy header to this day and Sams pen. Must have been the only person who went in and out of the Ground four times ! It did end happily 44 years later we are still speaking !
UTI.

Percy's diving header, viewed from the South Park Stand. That goal put the result and the title beyond doubt.

Does anyone remember the 50 odd Donny fans coming into the West Bank after about 15 minutes the police formed a cordon round them and they left about 15 mi utes from time, a fantastic day we played like the champions we were that day.

Didn’t get to this one as we’d moved to the capital. My last City game that season was the northants Wednesday night 3-1 win?
I was sadly watching Peterborough that day.

Magnificent day. Watched a lot of the games that season but there was a real party atmosphere at the Donny game. I was leaning against the wall directly behind the goal when Percy’s header went in and the memory of that ‘thump’ off his forehead and the ball hitting the net was just awesome. RIP Big Perce - some magical memories of you. Also, the celebrations and the crowd at the end of the game. Brilliant.