15th April 1989 | Vital Football

15th April 1989

BlockD

Vital Squad Member
Staff member
30 Years since that awful,tragic day,RIP the 96.

But just to put another slant about that day,who did United play that day,what was the score,and if we did score that day,who scored?

Me and the former Mrs FKB had just got back to the car after a nice walk at Chatsworth House, eager to hear the half time scores. Horrific news instead. We just couldn't believe what we were hearing as the death toll rose.

We were winning 2-1 away at Northampton. Don't recall our scorers, guess Deano might be one of them.

Just talking about it this morning with the other half. We were at my mothers for dinner with the kids. I had a superstition, still do to this day, that I never listen to the Blades away on the radio and only turn on when the match has finished so wanted to get home for the result. Just as we were leaving it came on the television that there were serious problems at the Sty, suggestion that there could be 1 or 2 fatalities. We all said that was terrible and my mind cast back to my second visit there as a youngster in the 60's when we had exited the Leppings Lane End via the tunnel and my feet didn't touch the floor.

45 minutes later got Home and turned the radio on straightaway and heard the number dead could be as high as 20. Spent the rest of the evening listening to the tragic events unfold all thoughts of how the Blades had done had gone.

It was nearly four years after Hysel and in the immediate aftermath the Tory government, SYP and press conspired to let us believe it was hooliganism and drunkeness that caused it. Just a few days later SWFC shamed themselves and wrote a begging letter asking the FA for more money. A stain on their Club that they have never wiped clean and they still hope its a bad dream that will go away.

Anyone who'd been on that end previously knew once they put up the fences and penned the end off what was going to eventually happen. The fact it nearly did on 1 or 2 previous semi final occasions is a damming indictment of the attitude society had towards football fans at the time.

I feel for all the parents, husbands wives and relatives of the 96. I had my twin daughters with me that day. It was 4 days before their 10th birthday. In a few days time they will celebrate their 40th, fanatical Blades, followed the Club all over the country. My girls came home all right from football matches sadly Trevor Hicks girls didnt that fateful day 30 years ago.

RIP the 96.

Just talking about it this morning with the other half. We were at my mothers for dinner with the kids. I had a superstition, still do to this day, that I never listen to the Blades away on the radio and only turn on when the match has finished so wanted to get home for the result. Just as we were leaving it came on the television that there were serious problems at the Sty, suggestion that there could be 1 or 2 fatalities. We all said that was terrible and my mind cast back to my second visit there as a youngster in the 60's when we had exited the Leppings Lane End via the tunnel and my feet didn't touch the floor.

45 minutes later got Home and turned the radio on straightaway and heard the number dead could be as high as 20. Spent the rest of the evening listening to the tragic events unfold all thoughts of how the Blades had done had gone.

It was nearly four years after Hysel and in the immediate aftermath the Tory government, SYP and press conspired to let us believe it was hooliganism and drunkeness that caused it. Just a few days later SWFC shamed themselves and wrote a begging letter asking the FA for more money. A stain on their Club that they have never wiped clean and they still hope its a bad dream that will go away.

Anyone who'd been on that end previously knew once they put up the fences and penned the end off what was going to eventually happen. The fact it nearly did on 1 or 2 previous semi final occasions is a damming indictment of the attitude society had towards football fans at the time.

I feel for all the parents, husbands wives and relatives of the 96. I had my twin daughters with me that day. It was 4 days before their 10th birthday. In a few days time they will celebrate their 40th, fanatical Blades, followed the Club all over the country. My girls came home all right from football matches sadly Trevor Hicks girls didnt that fateful day 30 years ago.

RIP the 96.
Wow that's a very powerful tale ya tell theer Longy mi owd pal.I used to think the Police in SY were amongst the best in't country re;crowd control but that all changed after 1984 and of course after the tragedy.I was playin Bowls cos mi dad asked mi to cos altho i was goin to watch the BLADES and i'd told dad i was goin so couldn't play bowls they were short cos 2 of the lads were poorly(one seriously).I won 21-5 by the way at Wickersley(i was so good it was unreal):yes: When i got home the tragic news was on't TV,horrific.A bloke from our village who'd been a miner then turned to bein a copper(He got alot of verbals in't strike)but he was on duty at piggery that awful day and it affected his mental health very badly,he was in a documentary and said some of their statements had been altered.It is SHAMEFUL that it took this long to get to court,i can't believe Leppings lane end is still standin as i said tother week after Duckenfields court case and i say that not slatin the grunters but in a civilised society like we're supposed to live in,it should have been knocked darn and built again.RIP the 96. UTCB

I was at Northampton that day watching the blades win I thought the score was 1-0 tho pretty sure Deane scored,during the game we were all singing about Hillsborough falling down as sketchy rumours were being bounded about it was only at full time when an announcement came over the tannoy we realised the gravity of what happened we were clapping the players in front of us as they announced it we just all stopped and left in silence,I drove back listening to the radio just numb probably shock,could have been any of us that,I’ve been in some serious crushes back in the day,I refused to go to millmoor after the Easter game when Adkins scored that was a death trap too as it turned out

I was at Northampton that day watching the blades win I thought the score was 1-0 tho pretty sure Deane scored,during the game we were all singing about Hillsborough falling down as sketchy rumours were being bounded about it was only at full time when an announcement came over the tannoy we realised the gravity of what happened we were clapping the players in front of us as they announced it we just all stopped and left in silence,I drove back listening to the radio just numb probably shock,could have been any of us that,I’ve been in some serious crushes back in the day,I refused to go to millmoor after the Easter game when Adkins scored that was a death trap too as it turned out

I was also at Northampton that day,it was a day much like today weather wise,as was usual back in them days,a bloke had a transistor radio listening for the other scores,and he just casually mentioned that the semi final had been held up because some Liverpool fans had invaded the pitch, thinking nothing more about it we concentrated on watching United,end of the game as the players came over to us,the tannoy announced that there had been lives lost at Hillsborough,I can recall Martin Pike sinking to his knees in floods of tears,we were unaware what had happened because bloke with radio had turned it off.
Steve Thompson and Deano scored in a nervy, scrappy win