14/04 Wigan vs the club with a nice stadium | Page 3 | Vital Football

14/04 Wigan vs the club with a nice stadium

......still touchy tho..........

Oi MiW ...... that's slander ......you can have him for that.

That said .........my response doesn't read right either.

I hate a bloody double entendre .......... you never know which way to take it !

Brick knows that merest brush of the hand on the knee a decade ago was purely accidental. Still witch hunts have been launched for less. :eek:

Brick, I rarely got involved with grip, when I tried he never responded.
Which was fine, as interacting with him was a pointless exercise.
Not sure how I was partly to "blame" for his self inflicted demise.
But that's history, and the board is clearly on the up with out him.

Would you like to explain why you think I can't change my mind?
I changed it once as I felt Charlton where going to build up momentum at the right time. I've since seen Rotherham and have decided they have what it takes to get through the play offs. It's like saying i was wrong, I don't have an issue with that. So I ask again what is your problem with that?

Mind you, I make that prediction on the basis that neither ourselves nor Blackburn are in the playoffs, as I believe either of those will come through the play offs if required.

That's turned out to be a difficult point, as I'd feared. I was impressed with Rotherham and my prediction of Charlton for the play off spot on another thread has now changed in favour of Rotherham.
And there's the full set for my predictions. Champions, runners up and now play off winners ?

Or perhaps it shows how well managed the promoted teams are. Rotherham in particular have bounced back in style after their abject relegation. I’ll be interested to see how Sunderland go next season in League 1

I think the division was actually a lot stronger than it was 2 years ago, but we were also light years ahead of where we were. If Paul Cook had this side in that division I think we'd have a very good chance of not losing a single game and smashing the football league points record (i think that is currently something like 106pts). Alternatively I think if Caldwells side would've been in this years division i don't think they'd have finished in the top 2. I think the league is likely to get stronger every year as the quality in the Championship continues to go up (with the money) and bigger teams and better players filter into L1 who previously would've been bottom half Champ quality.

Scunny, Bradford, Charlton, Peterborough, Portsmouth, Plymouth and even Bristol Rovers and Southend on their day looked good sides capable of being in the mix, but the difference between those and the top 4 was consistency home and away.

Sunderland will fancy themselves to do well but they prob fancied themselves do well in the Champ last season - whoever goes in there has a hell of a job to change the losing mentality and toxic atmosphere around that club.

That is just testiment to the fantastic job that Cook, Mowbury and Warne have done to immedietely shake off last seasons disasters and bring back the confidence as dwdan said.

I can't agree KDZ
The division is just as rubbish as last time. It was harder to win this time as there were two teams capable of winning it. It's all about scoring goals in this division and too many don't know how to or just don't have the ability to. It's what did for Shrewsbury, and Burton likewise.
Game after game our opposition didn't even muster a shot on target, how is that a stronger league?
The difference for us as opposed to last time is that Caldwell completely rebuilt the squad whereas Cook had all the best players from the previous season still on board. We hit the ground running. Blackburn made some changes and were slow to start just like us two seasons ago.
I might be wrong, but I don't think Rotherham made a lot of changes either. So for me, two championship sides walked an easy league 1, and a third showed the rest were not really up to it.

Of course they did. But if they weren't so defence minded and put a bit of emphasis on the goals at the other end of the park, they would have won the league from the position they were in half way through the season. The one team who had that capability passed them.
This season, the two teams who had that capability passed this seasons negative side. And in fact the leagues 3rd highest scorers did them yesterday too.

Or alternatively if they weren't so defensive minded they might well have shipped a shed load of goals and got nowhere where they did. You play to your strengths and Burton did. It's sometimes better to be effective than attractive.

I don't disagree with you when we are talking about Burton or Shrewsbury, but I will always prefer a side that tries to be attractive over a team merely trying to be effective.
What I am saying now, and I said it during both seasons that that would fail against the powerful sides like us twice and Blackburn this time.