12 point appeal | Page 29 | Vital Football

12 point appeal

Jul 4, 2020
I'll publicly declare my OPINION (fears) here, now, I really hope and pray that I'm wrong, but the lawyers will provide zero tangible benefit for the future of Wigan Athletic and will cost us (tens of ??) thousands of pounds.

I get no satisfaction from the above, and in fact look a little silly at the massively underestimated costs.

Posters asked on here why such a highly respected QC would take on a case unless totally confident of winning and thus avoiding any reputational damage.

I can only think of one reason why the member of a law chambers which has almost certainly seen it's revenue streams decimated by the pandemic and Covid affect in recent months (if you believe all the articles on google about law chambers suffering) would take on a highly lucrative case at this time and it's nothing to do with winning or reputation.

Devastating decision for so many reasons. Players will now be sold en masse for peanuts, huge reduction in tv income, solidarity payments and no spectators allowed in. Feel pessimistic regarding the very future of the club, think that decision was all or nothing. Seems like death by a thousand cuts at present.

As for the efl, trying to justify why we were punished now and Wednesday weren’t is just laughable. Corrupt incompetent wankers.

Statement from EFL.

An independent Arbitration panel has ruled that Wigan Athletic’s 12-point deduction for entering administration last month will stand after dismissing the Club’s appeal against the sporting sanction.
The insolvency event occurred on the 1 July 2020 and under EFL Regulation 12.3, the Club was subject to a 12-point sanction; yet the timing of the deduction could only be determined once the final games of the season had been played.
The reason for this approach was due to the administration taking place after the fourth Thursday in March. In such circumstances EFL Regulations state that, in the event a Club is relegated by virtue of their final position following the conclusion of the league campaign, then the deduction would apply in the following season.
As the Club was not in the relegation places following the last round of Championship fixtures, the sanction was then applied to their 2019/20 total which resulted in a 23rd placed finish.
In cases of insolvency, the panel does not determine the timing of the sanction as it can in independent disciplinary proceedings.
The decision of the arbitration panel is final and legally binding.
The EFL will continue to engage with the Administrators to provide its full support in all ongoing matters with the aim of achieving a long-term future for the Club.

Full support my arse!!

Devastating decision for so many reasons. Players will now be sold en masse for peanuts, huge reduction in tv income, solidarity payments and no spectators allowed in. Feel pessimistic regarding the very future of the club, think that decision was all or nothing. Seems like death by a thousand cuts at present.

As for the efl, trying to justify why we were punished now and Wednesday weren’t is just laughable. Corrupt incompetent wankers.
A fucking men

Stunned.

Just stunned.

But, we'll come through. Just a shame we won't be able to go to so many cracking away games in League 1.

I hope it turns out Parry went to Epstein's island with Prince Andrew.

Club’s on death row now. Only a matter of time before the day comes where we are taken to the electric chair.

Long time lurker (just read post in past) - first time poster.

Gutted - felt that this was always going to be the outcome.

Would love to see the reasons behind the decision, and to ensure that the decision sets a precedent going forward.

Truth is more clubs are likely to fail in the next 12 months - C19 was and is the reason used by NFL - it sounds to me that the EFL refused to believe this and applied the penalty. They even said so when the penalty was first announced just after admin.

We were the first club to enter admin following C19, maybe our owners knew when to throw in the towel, rather than throwing good money after bad. (it kills me to say that). The reality is stadium sport viewing is not going to return until at least October (which seems optimistic) - think of the cash flow impact, normally our season tickets are bought now, which generates much needed cash - the sales of these must have been impacted by C19 behind closed doors fears - which in turn leads to the loss of other revenue streams due to no match day sales.

Will EFL be consistent in applying the penalty to other clubs - that is what I fear - they have just taken away an option that could and would have saved non premier league football, - they may have just destroyed the EFL.

That's a bad result.500k lost in legal fees and about £3 million less in TV money as a tier 3 club rather than a tier 2 club.

It always seemed an optimistic appeal.Wigan, like all league clubs sign up to the League's rules - go into administration and receive a 12 point penalty

We need to stick together now more than ever...let's have none of this " I'm not watching football anymore " bollocks. Keep the faith, what chance would we have had in the championship with a 6m wage bill ?

At least it will flush out the realistic take over groups and fire off the others.

At times you think this is as shite as it gets just think of Derian House and Real problems.

Up the Tics.

I wont stop loving Wigan, but I have fallen out with the sport, football was/is a big part of me, but as the years go on, you see how the sport is becoming more and more about keeping the big clubs happy for revenue than the integrity of the sport.

Glad I'm not alone in feeling this way

I get no satisfaction from the above, and in fact look a little silly at the massively underestimated costs.

Posters asked on here why such a highly respected QC would take on a case unless totally confident of winning and thus avoiding any reputational damage.

I can only think of one reason why the member of a law chambers which has almost certainly seen it's revenue streams decimated by the pandemic and Covid affect in recent months (if you believe all the articles on google about law chambers suffering) would take on a highly lucrative case at this time and it's nothing to do with winning or reputation.

If u take 'No Satisfaction' from the above, WHY post it....just added insults to injury imo. Last thing we currently need is the 'i told you so' brigade or even the 'Hindsight' brigade......