100 ball cricket / T16.4 / T15.10 | Vital Football

100 ball cricket / T16.4 / T15.10

Lienking

Vital Football Hero
So what do people think of the new 8 City Team competeition ? According to Andrew Strauss it is aimed at mums and kids! Apparently counting to 120 balls in T20 is too complicated to understand, though having 15 overs of 6 balls and one over of 10 doesn't exactly seem simple. Please just stick with T20, rather than selling out to tv time slots!

The writing was on the wall as soon as Colin Graves ( Yorkshire Chairman ) got his hands on the ECB top job - our summer sport is only going one way & this latest announcement just about sums up what an absolute mess we are heading for...

When I was about 10 (just over 50 years back) my dad used to take me to a 7 a-side tournament in Lenton. Each team had a wicketkeeper, and the other six players bowled one over each. If I remember correctly the 7th batsmen could actually bat on with a runner. Was actually really entertaining, though the people living in the houses next to the ground probably didn't think so!

Another sign that money dictates. Over here the 50 over games and Big Bash have been sold to pay TV.
I don't subscribe to that and don't intend to start now either, but it's bloody annoying, not that I watch Big Bash but do enjoy the 50 over games. Or did!

Hitting

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/45294390

I really can't see how 100 will attract any different fans to T20. Surely anyone who is remotely interested will already be at the T20 games? If this is to succeed it needs ALL the best players, including particularly the England players. Without them, it will just be a second rate T20.
I assume fans aren't allowed to go to the trial games.

Article in the telegraph about the trials. Samit Patel was the captain of one team. Apparently the balls were bowled in blocks of ten from each end. The ten balls can be bowled by one bowler, or two sets of five by two bowlers. Blocks of 25 may be trialled too. There can also be a 150 second time out, for the coach to come on and tell the players what to do. Apparently one team was 66 for none when the coach told Samit and the spinners to bowl wide, and the team only made 128 all out.
There may be two fielding subs too.

This all actually sounds more complicated than T20!!

Why did they not invite spectators?!

Probably didn't want anyone rubbishing it before it's started! As someone said, if they want to shorten it to get it on tv 20 5 ball overs makes sense. Don't agree with this. As someone says are Leicester and Derby people going to support a team in Nottingham? Would people from Sheffield even support their own team in Leeds. All the England players probably won't play. Just a third rate T20.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47323641

Well, anybody else think this sounds more complicated than T20 even though "women and children" should be able to understand it ! (Their words not mine!). It's really only a slightly more complicated duplication of T20. I wonder how many people from Derby and Leicester will come along to support the "East Midlands Marauders" or whatever they're going to be called.

The format will be:

100 balls per innings.
A change of ends after 10 balls.
Bowlers deliver either five or 10 consecutive balls.
Each bowler can deliver a maximum of 20 balls per game.
Each bowling side gets a strategic timeout of up to two and a half minutes.
A 25-ball powerplay start for each team.
Two fielders are allowed outside of the initial 30-yard circle during the powerplay.

Team names to be decided, 15 man squad, 3 overseas players.

I seem to remember warning folks about Colin Graves. He’s a dictator & the counties now want him out. His legacy will be this tournament.
I’d love to think it’s not to late to bin it - but I fear he’ll force it through.