10 things America does so much worse than Europe | Vital Football

10 things America does so much worse than Europe

SiggyBrownie

Villa Princess
The term “American exceptionalism” is often tossed around by politicians. Neocons, far-right Christian fundamentalists and members of the Republican Party in particular seem to hate it when anyone dares to suggest that some aspects of European life are superior to how we do things. But facts are facts, and the reality is that in some respects, Europe is way ahead of the United States. From health care to civil liberties to sexual attitudes, one can make a strong case for “European exceptionalism.” That is not to say that Europe isn’t confronting some major challenges in 2014: neoliberal economic policies and brutal austerity measures are causing considerable misery in Greece, Spain and other countries. The unemployment rate in Spain, the fourth largest economy in the Eurozone, stands at a troubling 26%—although Germany, Switzerland, Denmark and Iceland have lower unemployment rates than the U.S. (5.1% in Germany, 3.1.% in Switzerland, 4.6% in Iceland, 4.2% in Denmark). But problems and all, Europe continues to be one of the most desirable parts of the world. And the U.S.—a country that is in serious decline both economically and in terms of civil liberties—needs to take a close look at some of the things that European countries are doing right.

http://www.salon.com/2014/07/11/10_things_america_does_so_much_worse_than_europe_partner/

'MERICA.

Yeah, bless their little cotton socks, they do so well for youngsters!

Health care.. well, I have a different perspective to most on that!

Interesting article Siggy.

I tend to think we are the unruly, won't listen to anyone, we know everything teenagers when it comes to our age and how we come off to the rest of the world.

Bit annoying really. I don't like being thrown in with that stereotype.

What I find quite funny Siggy is how people perceive America until they go there.

I was similar, thought every other person would be obese, muscle cars everywhere,everyone ott loud etc.

Obviously I met villabrownie and I forget the username of my second American wife and don't want to use her real name, but you know, plus later you before going, so I knew that bit at least wasn't true.

But since I've had the same sort of conversation, even last week with a young (40's) friend of my mom whose just back from New York,

Always goes, 'it wasn't what I expected, they weren't how I thought they would be' ...both in a good way!!

Just shows stereotypes aren't always right!

Dem Mericans don't live long yo cos them fat and eat chips and chips with fries and burger yo!!

5 (couldn't think or be arsed to do 10) things America does better than Europe -

1. Films - yes they make a lot of crap but all the majority come from Stateside.

2. Television - again they make crap, but in the last 20 years they've given us - The Sopranos, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire, Game of Thrones, Rome (the BBC also helped make this), 24, Breaking Bad, and that's just the ones I like!

3. Sport - yes they make their own, but they get bloody good at anything they turn their hand to, like that annoying kid at shool who's just bloody good at everything!!!

4. Music - Only Britain could threaten their creativity here, and I'd argue surpass it with our history in this area, but as far as Europe goes as a whole, the Eurovision loses Europe points here.

5. Weather - they have every single weather you can think of, only this winter you could throw a cup of boiling water in the air and it froze, you can't do that in Scarborough, you just can't!

Agree on the TV,went from utter junk to some pure brilliance. I bet 90% of what I watch is American now! like Boss with Kelsey Grammar on while I'm typing.

I would argue our music outshines all comers!

As Siggy will probably know better than any of us, the stereotypes are there, but many people in the States are just like us.

I have been very lucky to have met, and become friends with, many of our US friends. It's a bit of a generalisation, but the fact they explore outside their own borders probably means they are different to stereotypical Americans. Also, East and West Coast US citizens are just like Europeans in many ways.

Where this all falls down is that rather large middle bit!!! Some of the loonies their really do need a wake up call.

(Not you Siggy, but I bet you see them and know what I mean).

I have worked ages back with an american he was a giant bloke very obese bless him but he was the nicest bloke i have worked with, i was an apprentice and he talked me through all the tests we was doing together on the gas regulators and was just so full of life, saying ''hey buddy'' made me chuckle until the bigger kept sending me to the canteen every half hour pfff lol

When the kids am older we want to take them to Florida.Disney Land, it scares me now thinking of the flight time but i will do it for the kids GULP!, But i think the problem today in this media driven world is the governments seem to depict what the people of that country are like, i just luv the passion of the US people i think we have lost that over time the spirit and passion for our country as they have.

The Fear - 11/7/2014 20:59

What I find quite funny Siggy is how people perceive America until they go there.

I was similar, thought every other person would be obese, muscle cars everywhere,everyone ott loud etc.

Obviously I met villabrownie and I forget the username of my second American wife and don't want to use her real name, but you know, plus later you before going, so I knew that bit at least wasn't true.

But since I've had the same sort of conversation, even last week with a young (40's) friend of my mom whose just back from New York,

Always goes, 'it wasn't what I expected, they weren't how I thought they would be' ...both in a good way!!

Just shows stereotypes aren't always right!

I don't think the stereotypes are entirely wrong, they are just based on what we see in Europe of American tourists, so they are stereotypes of one particular group of Americans, the type that travel to "little ol' England" with their large frames, large camera lenses large Hawaiian shirts and even larger luggage. And here is the main point while we Brits can claim a wide diversity, difficult to stereotype the USA can claim an even more diverse population with a land mass about 60-70 times that of the UK and a population some 5 times bigger. There will be some stereotypes that can describe various groups but they are most likely stereotypes will will rarely encounter in Europe as our window into US culture is American tourists in Europe, fast food and movies, hardly all encompassing for such a large and demographically diverse nation.

Cant argue with that list as a 'European' living in America...

Freedom of travel can be added to that list they have gone crazy with the travel protocols at airports...

Oh I love your country and your people. Sure there are some idiots and those who shouldn't breathe one earth however that is the same anywhere. I have some wonderful American friends.

1/ A.A/12 step came out of the U.S
2/ Your passion for your country and your people
3/ Country music
4/ TV and films, there is so many to name. The 1's face has, plus NCIS/Law & Order/CSI/CI. On the frivolous side, storage wars and pawn stars. Other oldies with a light weight side too: Fresh Prince, Sabrina, The Cosby Show, the 1 from the 70's with the 2 young lads living with a 1 Father, another 1 around in the 90's (damn my head this morning) of a young boy growing up.

And so on