1 point off playoffs - its only October! | Vital Football

1 point off playoffs - its only October!

Marco Polo

Vital 1st Team Regular
Wow what a great start to the season.

Yes there have been ups and downs, some good performances and some bad but wow, we're competitive again!

Isn't it great to be looking up instead of down the table for once

We are only one point ahead of 15th though chap! Agree we are a lot better than recent years and we need to give the squad and manager time.COYR.

The funny thing is if we'd held on for a win last night i'd have thought bloody hell top 6 and we're not even playing well yet and would have been fairly optimistic about the Boro and Norwich games.
Now i can see us struggling for points in the next few matches .

It's the fact we have little style. We are unable to play hoofball, or fast passing games and even when we are able to control midfield, fail to take advantage. Reading, Bury, Brum and now Millwall, we played awfully and deserved to get nothing. The fact we got some points only papers over the cracks. Take those four points away and we are not sitting that pretty. We are not improving either. With a back four and two defensive midfielders we have 7 players behind the ball. Like we had when we went 7 games without a goal. Can't blame Watson and Colback for passing sideways/backwards. That is where the players are standing. Service to Bereaton last year was non existent, service to Grabben remains poor.

The funny thing is if we'd held on for a win last night i'd have thought bloody hell top 6 and we're not even playing well yet and would have been fairly optimistic about the Boro and Norwich games.
Now i can see us struggling for points in the next few matches .

The break should help us, a recharging of the batteries and perhaps getting some of the other players involved - Tachy, Yacob?

I don't expect anything in the Boro game, but at least Norwich will be here to play football - so, could be a good game to watch.

It's the fact we have little style. We are unable to play hoofball, or fast passing games and even when we are able to control midfield, fail to take advantage. Reading, Bury, Brum and now Millwall, we played awfully and deserved to get nothing. The fact we got some points only papers over the cracks. Take those four points away and we are not sitting that pretty. We are not improving either. With a back four and two defensive midfielders we have 7 players behind the ball. Like we had when we went 7 games without a goal. Can't blame Watson and Colback for passing sideways/backwards. That is where the players are standing. Service to Bereaton last year was non existent, service to Grabben remains poor.

We are work in progress Polly, but lets give some credit to Millwall - they had a game plan, but had we actually used our heads, we would have managed that game to a probably undeserved 3 points.

To put it in context - Millwall have drawn with Boro, Blackburn & Leeds and have beaten Derby.

We could easily have lost that game and were lucky not to be 0-1 down in first 5 mins.

I tend to agree with that, 1 up on his own does little for any striker with 7 behind the ball except cause him to spend the whole game in a constant physical battle to find space ( as opposed to constant movement into space that occurs when you have a 5 or 6 men in front of the ball pulling the defense around)
Last night we were poor tacticaly after we had done the hard work. And the game was won in my opinion.

I tend to agree with that, 1 up on his own does little for any striker with 7 behind the ball except cause him to spend the whole game in a constant physical battle to find space ( as opposed to constant movement into space that occurs when you have a 5 or 6 men in front of the ball pulling the defense around)
Last night we were poor tacticaly after we had done the hard work. And the game was won in my opinion.

at least one should still expect the striker to challenge and win his percentage of challenges, tackles, headers and sprints. i still havent seen Grabban do any of these things in 2 months. I just dont get why people are still thinking hes good when anyone else has a bad game they must be dropped.

This possibly wasn't the game for Grabban. Although it is easy to say in hindsight, this was the type of game which would have suited Murphy and Dawson.

at least one should still expect the striker to challenge and win his percentage of challenges, tackles, headers and sprints. i still havent seen Grabban do any of these things in 2 months. I just dont get why people are still thinking hes good when anyone else has a bad game they must be dropped.
He doesn't look suited to this formation to me, when I have seen him before (admittedly mainly on internet clips) he seems to be most effective moving into space rather than battling for the ball or holding it up. From my viewing of the games he has seemed isolated and not getting away from his markers very often. With the fullbacks sitting deep against Millwall we never pulled them wide and there was no space for him to move into and he had no service to speak of. For me that's a player being played out of position?