1 foot on the love boat.... | Vital Football

1 foot on the love boat....

hindleymonwafc

Vital Champions League
Maybe in the grand scheme of things it may not be a bad thing, yesterday that is. We have all been swept along on a tide of optimist and feel good factor. Even I have had 1 foot aboard the love boat and still do BTW but it is a massive reality check to ground us all a bit.

We are not going to smash everyone every week...we need to do the hard graft to get the rewards...we also need to pick the right team so GC will have learned summat as well.

All in all the love boat hasn't sprung a leak but is in dry dock for minor repairs...

ALL ABOARD....( insert noise that sounds like that foghorn thingy ).

Caldwell learnt the lesson about picking the right team several weeks back, sadly yesterday he forgot what he'd learnt.

I don't think we can expect to smash teams every week, what we should expect is a degree of competence in not repeating old mistakes and not taking 80 minutes to rectify the problem.

Hopefully the love boat will be full steam ahead once again next week.

for me if we needed a reeality check id rather it be agenst the likes of oldham. if we did this agent walsall next week it culd of clobberd us for an automatic place. what has hapened now is that we go there with a stronger determinateon than normal and they must be sh1ttin themselfs (i hope).

so yeah. all abord the love boat. its still there for the taking

Yesterday the love boat suffered engine trouble, and was floundering in a rough sea. Instead of being in the engine room the crew should have been on the bridge driving the ship forward. Thank goodness the man on the wheel our goalkeeper was steering a steady course.
GC stated we were lucky to get a point, he was right but one up front at home will not get us a top two spot.

DRAGNET - 14/2/2016 11:33
............. but one up front at home will not get us a top two spot.

......and yet in the preceding 4 home games, we've scored 3 goals in each.

The way the team play, the absence of two obviously recognisable forwards means little ................... goals have come from all over the place, and the man up front has been ably supported by a number of attacking midfielders.

Lets not start a 2 up front debate again just because we had a goal-less game for once.

Edit - "last" changed to "preceding".

I disagree, Vukic has been that link man and played up with if not alongside Grigg. His presence, physical ability, ability to hold up the ball and bring others into the game has made the difference. Out and out centre forward no but it has meant we havnt played a lone striker.

The last few weeks have seen us scoring freely not because we had 1 or 2 up front but because we moved the ball quickly and got it forward. Yesterday Oldham pressed our midfield and forced us into passing sideways and slowing the final ball. Its something we have seen before and overcome. I don't understand why we delayed our subs as in previous games Gary has been very proactive and countered the oppositions tactics with swift substitutions. To continue the analogy, perhaps he lost his charts. I have no doubts that he will reset his compass and will soon have us back on course. The good ship Latics ( Wigan Version) is still in safe hands and is sailing onwards towards its port of destination ( promotion).

I'd agree that Vuckic (watch your spelling of players' names Whittle or tl4e will be on your case !) should have been on. That would have been my half time change ...... Haris for McAleny.

TRUE BELIEVER - 14/2/2016 12:43

Are you stalking me. By the way the Brick effect is probably rubbing off on me too.

I thought we were all the same person ....... with a desktop, laptop, tablet & phone !

;o)

moonay - 14/2/2016 12:40

I'd agree that Vuckic (watch your spelling of players' names Whittle or tl4e will be on your case !) should have been on. That would have been my half time change ...... Haris for McAleny.

Yes consider wrist slapped Mooney, TB, Brick or whoever the hell you are!

Whittleblue - 14/2/2016 14:05

Well I guess you learn something new everyday, I always thought Moonay was Sortitout.

GrimReaper87 - 14/2/2016 14:54

Whittleblue - 14/2/2016 14:05

Well I guess you learn something new everyday, I always thought Moonay was Sortitout.

Sortitout has been sorted out

GrimReaper87 - 14/2/2016 14:47

You guys are spot on we definitely missed Vuckic.

While I agree we missed Vuckic. I can understand why McAleny was preferred.
As has been discussed on here Vuckic seems at times reluctant to shoot.
Where McAleny showed last week he will have a go.

I think though GC was simply outhought by Sheridan.
Oldham had players positioned to stop us playing. Yanick had 2 players on him at all times pushing him wide. McAleny wasn't in the game at all. Wabara wasn't able to push up and Power and Perkins were outnumbered in midfield.
All this to isolate Grigg who had to keep coming back looking for the ball.
Leaving us with no one upfront.

I can't understand the criticism of McAleny. He broke well from midfield in the first half and forced a foul on their central defender, when, had he not been fouled he was through on the keeper. He had a very good chance and appeared to get caught out by the pitch in the second half and then was over enthusiastic to make amends for that error and got caught in possession soon after. He was then unceremoniously dragged off.

I think it was telling that in the 11 minutes of "highlights" posted on the Latics website he features quite often.

The main culprit yesterday was Yanic. He had another one of "those" games. He worked hard down the flanks but appeared to make the wrong decisions when in a good position. A couple of times he made weak shots from inside the area, then he shot from a tight angle with players in good positions in the area.

Another who didn't play top his normal standard was Perkins. He seemed to be insistent upon stopping and turning to play the ball backwards every time we threatened a break. He also got caught in possession a few times.

I was in the west stand and lost count of the number of times Colclough was standing holding his hands out asking for the ball in acres of space only for the ball to be syphoned down that corridor of certainty of about a yard wide, down the left flank from McCann to Yanic. I also find it frustrating to see Pearce pass to McCann, who is standing about 6 inches from the touchline and has player about a foot away, when the only option open to him is to pass it back to Pearce. Why does Pearce not simply move forward with the ball and draw the player off McCann and then pass it to him??

Still sailing on the love boat here

We have suffered just TWO defeats in our last TWENTY FOUR games

We have gone a straight ten unbeaten taking 22 points

Not counting yesterday the previous NINE league games we have scored 21 and conceded 9 +12 GD

Not too bad a run of form to be taking into the final third of the season.

Rivals last ten:

Burton

Lost two, 22 points - for 17 against 8 - GD +9

Gillingham

Lost two, 19 points - for 18 against 9 - GD +9

Walsall

Lost two, 21 points - for 13 against 12 - GD +1

Coventry

Lost three, 13 points - for 17 against 11 - GD +6

It's tight but I'm still on board

Yon Mon - 14/2/2016 16:32

GrimReaper87 - 14/2/2016 14:47

You guys are spot on we definitely missed Vuckic.

While I agree we missed Vuckic. I can understand why McAleny was preferred.
As has been discussed on here Vuckic seems at times reluctant to shoot.
Where McAleny showed last week he will have a go.

I think though GC was simply outhought by Sheridan.
Oldham had players positioned to stop us playing. Yanick had 2 players on him at all times pushing him wide. McAleny wasn't in the game at all. Wabara wasn't able to push up and Power and Perkins were outnumbered in midfield.
All this to isolate Grigg who had to keep coming back looking for the ball.
Leaving us with no one upfront.

i think you have it there yon mon. you opened by seying you understud why mcaleny was started agenst vuckik but later sed that mcaleny wasnt in the game at all.

ok. to give gary the benifit of the doubt then he sees mcaleny shoot and score in the last game so thinks start him but i think youll agree that after 25 to 30 mins into the game he culd of seen that it wernt working and had vuckik on at half time. it wuldnt be the first time hes done a duble sub at half time. this pitch debate asside i think that sub wuld of put a hole new spin on the second half.