Summer transfer thread | Page 28 | Vital Football

Summer transfer thread

Luongo has left Sheffield Wednesday after turning down a new contract.

If there was ever any truth we wanted Morsy back I'd say Luongo is a better version of him, younger and without a free.

We seem to have a lot of central midfielders but if we were in the market for one he'd be my no.1 choice.

Smith and Iheikwe both leaving Rotherham after rejecting new contracts. Massive blow for Rotherham to lose 2 huge players for them.

Sheff Wed apparently looking to bring in both. We could do a lot worse than offering them deals and Championship football.

Edit - Sheff Wed have confirmed the signing of both. That's brutal for Rotherham to lose 2 of their key players to a division below in the eve of preseason.

Last edited:
Luongo has left Sheffield Wednesday after turning down a new contract.

If there was ever any truth we wanted Morsy back I'd say Luongo is a better version of him, younger and without a free.

We seem to have a lot of central midfielders but if we were in the market for one he'd be my no.1 choice.

I wouldn't think twice about bringing in Luongo.

Clearly a Championship calibre player who has been unfortunate to have recurring injury problems for the past 3 seasons.

Anyone mention Richie Smallwood ? ... signed for Bradford

Unbelievable signing for them in L2 as he's still a Championship standard player. Suprised he didnt get a better offer from a club higher up the league's but when i saw Bradford offered 2 years with an option for a third it made more sense. At his age he probably got mostly offers for 1 year from Champ or L1 clubs so opted for the longer deal for maximum security despite it being at a lower level.

I am not sure we needed him as we have a lot of similar options in that position, so our link may have been the typical agent talk trying to push Bradford offer up.

Clearly a Championship calibre player who has been unfortunate to have recurring injury problems for the past 3 seasons.
I suspect you've highlighted the probable reason clubs may be hesitant to risk signing him

Not for me. We need players who have the potential to improve at Championship level not players on the way down. Luongo has had his time in the Championship. We need to look at emerging talent which Luongo was when he was still at Swindon and made the move to QPR

Not for me. We need players who have the potential to improve at Championship level not players on the way down. Luongo has had his time in the Championship. We need to look at emerging talent which Luongo was when he was still at Swindon and made the move to QPR

issue is those players cost money, something we don’t have, where the latter will be cheap and players we can afford, I’m not even a fan of smallwood, but it’s clearly the type of player we’re focussing on

I reckon it's pretty obvious that, like most teams, we'll be picking up mainly out of contract players, or taking a punt on unknown youngsters like Josh Stones. Seeing as contracts don't officially end till next Thursday, the lack of signings is no cause for panic. If in a fortnight we've not signed anybody it might start to be a cause for concern but not till then.

Unless, of course, your propensity is to look on the downside.

The lack of transfer activity isn't an indication of us having no money to improve the squad. Hardly any transfer business has been done so far even by clubs with millions in parachute payments.

We supposedly blew clubs out of the water on wages last summer in L1 with Wyke and McClean apparently being on something like 8k in a division where the average wage was around 2k. So it seems the ownership is clearly ambitious and willing to invest.

We aren't going to be crazy and double the top earner or anything like that but if it was true we were offering 8k in L1 I imagine we'll be willing to push that up a few grand to attract better players. It's not going to be top money for this level but it would be competitive and probably not a million miles off the type of wages we were paying before admin.

I think we'll be sensible in going for realistic targets and competitive in our offers without being excessive.

But even if we had a very low budget it may be harder but not impossible. We've seen with a good eye for talent and the coaching ability to bring out the best in what you have - you can be very competitive without the money.

I don't mean we are skint by the way, I am merely talking about our potential budget constraints, and what that means when we look at potential incomings. We did make quite a bit of money from January sell on's, its more what budget we have been given, and what our aims are for this season, if it is to stay up, then we will be focussing on signing frees and loans, and hopefully those will include good business.

Personally, I do think we need to make some form of investment in younger players who have the potential to sell on for a major profit.

I just hope the new regime play hardball compared to the previous owners when it comes to selling players, you see players in this division now potentially go for high 7 or 8 figures, we should be holding them out for that, as well as making sure that those players are tied down to contracts where it cannot be taken advantage of.

Free agents are starting to fall off the board now, with most teams officially back for pre-season.

We better get a move on because in about two weeks or so there won't be many left...

Another free agent Will Vaulks joined Sheff Wed, another good bit of business for them in L1. They are doing what we did last season trying to cherry pick the best frees they can for that level.

Rotherham have signed RWB Peter Kioso, 22, from Luton on a three-year deal. A key player in MK Dons' promotion push last season, making 38 appearances in all competitions.

The type of deal we should be doing to be honest. Hopefully it's a sign Fossey is on his way, otherwise that's another promising player - at a good age in a position we could do with adding to - that's headed to a potential relegation rival...

I think we've all been patient but I think most teams are at least off the mark now with deals so we really need to get a move on.

Rotherham signed Peter Kioso from Luton, he impressed on loan at MK Dons last season.

I thought he looked the best right wing back we played against last year in L1 and he'd be in Luton's plans for this season but they mustn't have fancied him at this level for some reason.

I'd have been quite pleased if we had gone for him so it'll be interesting to see how he does. But it's another one out of the Fossey picture hopefully making it easier for us to get the deal done.

Edit - just saw i basically wrote same as Vic.

Rotherham signed Peter Kioso from Luton, he impressed on loan at MK Dons last season.

I thought he looked the best right wing back we played against last year in L1 and he'd be in Luton's plans for this season but they mustn't have fancied him at this level for some reason.

I'd have been quite pleased if we had gone for him so it'll be interesting to see how he does. But it's another one out of the Fossey picture hopefully making it easier for us to get the deal done.

Edit - just saw i basically wrote same as Vic.

Vic, Hud - whatever you wanna call me! :LOL:

Just waiting for Fossey to inevitably sign back with Bolton now to make this less-than-stellar start to the window a bit more miserable...