The Wembley Playoff Final Thread; Huddersfield Town Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by every loyal supporter of the 21st Century | Page 26 | Vital Football

The Wembley Playoff Final Thread; Huddersfield Town Vs Nottingham Forest, sponsored by every loyal supporter of the 21st Century

Lots of great summaries here

It really was about emotion. I really expected it to be snatched from us at some point. I expected the bottler forest to make an appearance. And yet I didn't at the same time, because it always felt like it was going to be our day and our season. It has felt like that for a while. You kind of feel each season that it is someone's season. And this felt like ours.

But that brings its own pressure. If not now, then when?

When we scored it was unbelievable. I expected a goal to become absolutely raucus in the stands, but I think a lot of people were like me- couldn't believe it had happened or understand where it had come from.

As you know, I like stats. I'd done some research on these championship playoff finals that I didn't choose to share with you all because it just cranks up the pressure. Generally speaking, first scorers win. And more often than not, first goal wins. Getting that was massive. Our chances went from 50/50 to about 80/20 with that goal.

Second half I kept taking photos of the time on the score board, so if it all went wrong I could remember how close we had been. But the clock kept going and to be honest it flew by

Suddenly it was injury time. I had set my watch for 6 minutes already, guessing that was likely to be the added time but hoping it might be less. It was torture.

Like others, when the final whistle went I couldn't quite believe we had made it. This was actually us celebrating, it was our players going up the stairs. Samba dancing will stay with me forever. The occasion will stay with me forever. What a party

Great post Pope. It sums up many of my feelings at the match. But throughout the playoffs I had a strong gut feeling that this was our year. We were the irresistible force and no object was immovable.

I’m particularly pleased for fans like you, who haven’t seen the ‘glory days’ of 40 years ago. I was fortunate to see that. So enjoy it, you and other fans deserve this success.

Brilliant day out and great to prevail when you always felt as if it could all go Forest-shaped. We didn’t play particularly well, and we had a few moments of fortune, but I thought we won it in the same way as many Championship matches are won - by getting ahead and winning the battle of attrition that inevitably follows.

Huddersfield were worse than us, and only improved because their game plan fell apart. They showed no ambition in the first half other than to stifle, and while we ceded a lot of the ball to them in the 2nd half, they were relying very much on set plays or a penalty to get them a goal. If our time in the Premier League will likely be bleak and short-lived, theirs would have been even worse.

For me it was great to be there because I probably won’t stand much of a chance of getting a ticket to any game next season. It’s the nature of our support that we have 15k fans when we’re doing badly, and 150k when we’re doing well. You want success as a club, but any more permanent success desperately requires a stadium expansion.

It’s great to be thinking about potentially more exotic signings going forward, and players like de Bruyne, Haaland, and the scummy Liverpool players all playing at The City Ground. And hopefully losing. Even if it does end up being short-lived, it’s better to have a chance of being in the spotlights than to never get past the curtain.

A great day and a great privilege to get to see my club at Wembley, especially when it culminates in victory. I doubt we’ll play there again for a while, and no Premier League fixture is going to top that.

Haaland playing at the WFCG. That will be a good day.

I keep hearing (even from comrad Cooper) that we didn't play that well, but Huddersfield did park the bus first half, and we bossed possession and scored. Not much we could do other than that. And second half there were some great tackles and better reffing. Oh and we got promoted :)

Just an incredible day. We got on the motorway at 9am and it was full of Reds - plenty of horn honking and fist pumping along the way.

Weirdly the game seemed to go by in a flash for me. Usually big games tend to drag on, especially when defending a lead, but I just felt absolutely sure we were going to do it.

Some of us have only ever known Forest to be shite, with the odd decent season here and there but no real success. Steve Cooper and these players have given us something to be extremely proud of.

As others have said it was a dreadful game of football, but those scenes at full time were something else. I'll never forget yesterday.

COYR
We left at about 9, parked at Watford station for £6, bargain. Got return tickets for £5, bargain. What could go wrong? We got to Wembley about 12.30, headed to The Green Man, queued for twenty minutes, only to be told they were now closed, gutted. Tried to find a pub that was open, queued at a place I think was called The Arch, only to be told they also weren’t letting anyone else in, gutted. Only option now was to go to the 🏟. Queued at the Purple Zone and was then told we couldn’t come in till 3. It was all going wrong, we were going to lose, I just knew it.
Tried the stadium again at 2.40, and they let us in, BOOM. Went up the escalators and got in the enormous Lioness bar, got a seat and necked my first Stella in about five minutes. Two more and then go to the seats. Looked through, saw this ridiculously massive stand full of a sea of red. I don’t think I’ll ever forget how taken aback I was. Mull of Kintyre started, cried, looked around with pride and my faith was restored. Like AC, I thought the game flew by, and didn’t care how shit it was, but at no point did I think we’d lose after that goal. The hour after the final whistle was possibly the best time I’ve had in my life, seriously.
Reluctantly, we left the ground and was on our way to the station, when our designated driver said “ do you want a beer before we go” No brainer. Thought we’d try the Green man, because it would be rude not to, got in, and spent the next two hours with 500, if not more Forest fans. Eventually left, missed all the traffic and got home about one o’clock.
Still buzzing now, although hungover, and watching Sky Sports News on a loop.

What a day - certainly made up for the 4 hour drive home today, although tuned into Radio Nottingham for the promotion party and really impressed by the comments of Mr Marinnakis!!!

Back to yesterday, woke up at 5-30 am somewhat tentative of what lay ahead, picked Dad up at 6-50 so 3 generations in the car as we drove down to London (had to stop for a nervous poo at the services just outside North Circular) arrived just before 10am and had first beer in the hotel bar waiting for others to arrive.

Stopped off at Marylebone to meet more friends and had a couple more pints, in 2 separate pubs, every bar, everywhere was just full of Forest!

Tube to Wembley central, couldn't get in any pubs on the high street all rammed - but amazingly got in the outdoor bar area, had a few more pints - saw so many old friends and familiar faces - loads of singing, atmosphere was incredible.

We were in block 541, had to queue for 40 minutes to get in yellow zone L, bursting for a wee - then got inside - concourse was bouncing managed another pint, spoke to some policemen and they said they'd not seen anything like it!

Up the steps 10 minutes before kick off to be confronted by a packed out Wembley, Forest end anyway - never sat down, never stopped singing and nearly broke ribs when we jumped around with absolute joy when we scored .... being dead honest I'm going to have to watch the game back,. because that first half flew by.

Another pint & pee at half time, concourse was probably even rowdier!

Second half, we gave ball away too often, but delighted that VAR & Jon Moss got the penalty decision right, 6 heart attack inducing, breathless minutes of injury time - then crying like a baby as that final whistle blew, hugging Dad, wife & kids (& complete strangers) and we are premier league!!!

The singing was incredible, then to the presentation and you could see hundreds/thousands of Forest fans in the away end running around the seats to be near the players lift the trophy.

Loved the players celebrations - special mention to Yates swimming on the turf, eventually walked out of Wembley with everyone singing as we went down the stairs and outside into a sea of red & white smiling faces.

Waited for the others in our hotel to meet us, then off we went to The Green Man - absolutely rammed with Forest fans (worst pint of guinness in history), so had to make up with 3 or 4 Moretti's and lots more singing!

Walked back down the hill to the tube station, with Wembley's red arch shining proudly, got some whisky, wine & lager - then back to the hotel - singing to every Forest fan en route... can't remember what time I went to bed, but felt rough this morning.

Still too scared to check my online banking, but worth every single penny!

Breakfast, coffee, lucozade & then drove home, got emotional again listening to Radio Nottingham - struggling to focus on work, but absolutely efffing buzzing, still smiling like a loony - can't wait to see what unfolds over the next few days as we prepare for life in The Premier League!

So proud of Nottingham Forest, players, coaches, management and fans - what an incredible day and delighted to have been able to share that experience with my family and friends!

COYR!!

What a day - certainly made up for the 4 hour drive home today, although tuned into Radio Nottingham for the promotion party and really impressed by the comments of Mr Marinnakis!!!

Back to yesterday, woke up at 5-30 am somewhat tentative of what lay ahead, picked Dad up at 6-50 so 3 generations in the car as we drove down to London (had to stop for a nervous poo at the services just outside North Circular) arrived just before 10am and had first beer in the hotel bar waiting for others to arrive.

Stopped off at Marylebone to meet more friends and had a couple more pints, in 2 separate pubs, every bar, everywhere was just full of Forest!

Tube to Wembley central, couldn't get in any pubs on the high street all rammed - but amazingly got in the outdoor bar area, had a few more pints - saw so many old friends and familiar faces - loads of singing, atmosphere was incredible.

We were in block 541, had to queue for 40 minutes to get in yellow zone L, bursting for a wee - then got inside - concourse was bouncing managed another pint, spoke to some policemen and they said they'd not seen anything like it!

Up the steps 10 minutes before kick off to be confronted by a packed out Wembley, Forest end anyway - never sat down, never stopped singing and nearly broke ribs when we jumped around with absolute joy when we scored .... being dead honest I'm going to have to watch the game back,. because that first half flew by.

Another pint & pee at half time, concourse was probably even rowdier!

Second half, we gave ball away too often, but delighted that VAR & Jon Moss got the penalty decision right, 6 heart attack inducing, breathless minutes of injury time - then crying like a baby as that final whistle blew, hugging Dad, wife & kids (& complete strangers) and we are premier league!!!

The singing was incredible, then to the presentation and you could see hundreds/thousands of Forest fans in the away end running around the seats to be near the players lift the trophy.

Loved the players celebrations - special mention to Yates swimming on the turf, eventually walked out of Wembley with everyone singing as we went down the stairs and outside into a sea of red & white smiling faces.

Waited for the others in our hotel to meet us, then off we went to The Green Man - absolutely rammed with Forest fans (worst pint of guinness in history), so had to make up with 3 or 4 Moretti's and lots more singing!

Walked back down the hill to the tube station, with Wembley's red arch shining proudly, got some whisky, wine & lager - then back to the hotel - singing to every Forest fan en route... can't remember what time I went to bed, but felt rough this morning.

Still too scared to check my online banking, but worth every single penny!

Breakfast, coffee, lucozade & then drove home, got emotional again listening to Radio Nottingham - struggling to focus on work, but absolutely efffing buzzing, still smiling like a loony - can't wait to see what unfolds over the next few days as we prepare for life in The Premier League!

So proud of Nottingham Forest, players, coaches, management and fans - what an incredible day and delighted to have been able to share that experience with my family and friends!

COYR!!
Brilliant recap, and out of interest, how many pints was that yesterday lol

Worth pointing out Worrall's comments in his interview about the team being a "mistreated dog" before Cooper came in.

Basically extremely scathing of Chris Hughton
I don't think he understands the meaning of "kill with kindness" though.....thick **** :grinning:

Lord almighty what a day ...
Anyone who was there yesterday will never forget it . One of the greatest days ever wasn’t it ? Thank you to Rich for sorting it for us.

the boxpark was insane , what a party it was in there before and after the match . On the way to Wembley some bloke on the tube says to me “ ah great you’re going to the match! Me too “ it was Ian Holloway and what an absolute top bloke he was, talked about Cooper and how he wasn’t convinced at first but has maximum respect for him and happy to be proven wrong , his own football career, family , music , everything .
sits down with us for the whole hour journey and then walks with us up Wembley way to the box park where we hugged it out and said goodbye !

in the boxpark they had Andy Reid , Nigel jemson, and Julian Bennett up on stage , Steve chettle was there , party was incredible.

and then Wembley stadium - totally different to watching it on the tv! It was immense in there , BUZZING . The whole day was just incredible wasn’t it lads ??

Yesterday was greatest day in a generation to be a forest fan . Just so grateful to have been there . We took over the whole place yesterday . The noise , the colour , just wow . View attachment 58030View attachment 58031View attachment 58032
You went for the pin stripes then.
Did Holloway actually do any magic, or was he just in fancy dress?