Waiting | Vital Football

Waiting

Apollyon

Vital Football Legend
I'm not the most patient person at the best of times, but this wait is killing me. I'm not sleeping, things are running through my mind its crazy.

You know when people say that your life flashes before your eyes? It feels like that.

1999 I lost my dad at the relatively young age of 59 to cancer. That season is a blur because of the events of that year. I was thinking about what I've gone through and done in the ensuing 23 years, and is it one big chapter that closes tomorrow when we get promoted?

I had a breakdown following the old man's death. I left my then fiancee after 6 years of being together. I had a few flings but no real relationship. I kept going to Forest and in 2001, just as Harty came on board, I met my now wife and moved to Northampton (where she was from). 2003 saw us buy our first house together in the grubby North notts town of Harworth. We moved there with my work. The next 9 years were pretty much like Forests hiatus from quality football. I hated Harworth/Doncaster and I was managing to get to only a dozen games a season.

We moved to Watnall in 2012, and the wait for a return to the top league seemed like a possibility. We had the Billy MK1, Clutterball with that massive win at Leeds, O'Driscoll and that massive win against...Leeds. Fawaz, Pearce, false dawn after false dawn waiting for this moment.

2022, I'm content with my life and content to finally watch a team that doesn't leave me wanting to run head down into a brick wall.

Even writing this, the reality that so many years and life events have happened since dad passed and Forest sank to a depth none of us would ever believe, is pretty surreal.

This means so much to so many of us. Some of "our lot" are sadly going through those hard life knocks right now, and still their focus is Forest. That's how much this team, this club means to us.

I'll ask the cosmos for one more favour tomorrow, before hopefully starting a new chapter at the final whistle. This 23 year wait, although eventful, has been a lifetime.

Last edited:
Very touching App. It has been a long time. I've had many ups and downs in that time, but I'm in a very good place at last.

It does feel though that the work has already been done. The team that takes the field tomorrow has been tempered and tuned through this season, and if luck plays a part tomorrow, then we've made our own luck. This season has been enjoyable whatever happens tomorrow, because we've built something great. Enjoy tomorrow whatever happens.

I was doing my GCSEs when we were relegated from the Premier League. Now I teach them and have been doing for as many years as I had been alive back then.

I didn't imagine much of a future for myself back then to be honest. Certainly not the experiences I've been able to have since. But I never expected to wait this long for promotion either.

I remember in 2003 saying to myself that when we got promoted I would have a beer for every year we had been out of the PL. That represented a fairly quiet evening back then, but would represent a downing st-eque bacchanal now

At the last game, I was talking with the people around me about the Yeovil game. We couldn't believe it was 15 years ago. And then we realised; that it's all the same people. The people who sat in our area then are all still there. We've all been sat together for all this time. It feels to me like those fans deserve it. Football doesn't work like that, but I hope we get that one more favour from the gods tomorrow

I am already waiting Apollyon chap! The chippy doesn't open until 12 but you can never be too early chap. Jumbo battered sausage and fisH cakes await,bonjour!

I am already waiting Apollyon chap! The chippy doesn't open until 12 but you can never be too early chap. Jumbo battered sausage and fisH cakes await,bonjour!

Will you be treating yourself to an unprecedented quadruple fisHcake if we win tomorrow chap?

I was doing my GCSEs when we were relegated from the Premier League. Now I teach them and have been doing for as many years as I had been alive back then.

I didn't imagine much of a future for myself back then to be honest. Certainly not the experiences I've been able to have since. But I never expected to wait this long for promotion either.

I remember in 2003 saying to myself that when we got promoted I would have a beer for every year we had been out of the PL. That represented a fairly quiet evening back then, but would represent a downing st-eque bacchanal now

At the last game, I was talking with the people around me about the Yeovil game. We couldn't believe it was 15 years ago. And then we realised; that it's all the same people. The people who sat in our area then are all still there. We've all been sat together for all this time. It feels to me like those fans deserve it. Football doesn't work like that, but I hope we get that one more favour from the gods tomorrow
There are lots of significant things to have happened in all of our lives since Forest were last in the Premier League. The last game that I went to see Forest in the Premier League was at the City Ground when Forest lost to Chelsea, with Frank Lebeouf scoring an own goal. Both the people that I went with, my late wife and my late (Chelsea- supporting) step- son, have sadly died. Forest descended deep, to my personal low point of watching them lose to MK Dons in the National Hockey Stadium when Megson was manager. But they, and I, have recovered.
The universal point of reference is the millennium. Everyone can remember what they were doing before then, and Forest have not been in the Premier League this millennium.

I was lucky enough to be a kid watching the the Johnny Carey team of 67 from the Main Stand enclosure, watched the stand burn down in 68, moved to the Trent End in my teens through the miserable years of Matt Gillies and then the great times of BC. A roller coaster of emotions, good and bad. Growing older and living through the last twenty odd years has weighed heavy, you begin to feel that Nottingham Forest paid for their successes and are destined to forever languish in mediocrity, constantly losing 3-0 to Sheffield Wednesday. I can’t quite believe what has happened this season, and am almost frightened to think of the importance of the game tomorrow. Part of me thinks don’t worry if we lose, we’ll have another go next year, then the year after and so on, that’s how it is. But it’s not like that now, because at long last we have everything in place to win. Believe! We’re going to win, Nottingham Forest will take their rightful place at the top table of English football. Thank you Mr Marinakis, Mr Dane Murphy, and Mr Steve Cooper, you have given an old cynic real hope for the future COYR!

Back in 99 I was 28 years old, all those years of knobbing , boozing , scrapping , more knobbing , relationships , less knobbing, children , hardly any knobbing , pain , loss , heartache , laughter , reflection, and finally inner peace . Yeah I sound like some fooking guru twat.
I’m 51 now , fitter than ever , happy , and just buzzing for tomm now I’m actually going to the match !

We ARE getting promotion tomorrow, it’s all written in the stars, I managed to get my tickets , I’m FOOKIN GOING. We wlll swat them aside and truly believe we will be bang at it , red hot and ready to rumble .

42 years ago today lads... in Madrid...
1-0 v Hamburg
28th May 1980

I’ll be wearing one of these shirts to Wembley , just have to decide which.. hope to meet at least a couple of you for a cold beer tomm.

392C1645-47BE-4558-B0F2-1871337BDB12.jpeg

Last edited:
Back in 99 I was 28 years old, all those years of knobbing , boozing , scrapping , more knobbing , relationships , less knobbing, children , hardly any knobbing , pain , loss , heartache , laughter , reflection, and finally inner peace . Yeah I sound like some fooking guru twat.
I’m 51 now , fitter than ever , happy , and just buzzing for tomm now I’m actually going to the match !

We ARE getting promotion tomorrow, it’s all written in the stars, I managed to get my tickets , I’m FOOKIN GOING. We wlll swat them aside tomm, I truly believe we will be bang at it , red hot and ready to rumble .

42 years ago today lads...Madrid 1-0 Hamburg.
I’ll be wearing one of these shirts tomm , just have to decide which.. hope to meet at least a couple of you for a cold beer tomm.

View attachment 57986
View attachment 57986
Glad you got a ticket.

We ARE getting promotion tomorrow, it’s all written in the stars, I managed to get my tickets , I’m FOOKIN GOING. We wlll swat them aside and truly believe we will be bang at it , red hot and ready to rumble .

42 years ago today lads...Madrid 1-0 Hamburg.
I’ll be wearing one of these shirts to Wembley , just have to decide which.. hope to meet at least a couple of you for a cold beer tomm.

View attachment 57986
Love the Panasonic top!!!