A-Z Of Christmas Songs | Vital Football

A-Z Of Christmas Songs

herringthorpe

Alert Team
Staff member
This can be anything that has ever appeared in a song at Christmas or the singers, the bands etc

A All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth - I can't remember who sang it, if I ever knew.

... Alvin & the Chipmunks did a version (another "A") :p Clip on YouTube

... or "Away in a manger" - a traditional Christmas carol. Origins of it are still under debate, and there have been several modified versions of it over the years.

--------------------------------------------------------------

B Bing Crosby - singer with several Christmas hit songs , including "White Christmas" and "Peace on earth/Little drummer boy" (duet with David Bowie)

Last edited:
C - Christmas is coming, the goose is getting fat,
Please put a penny in the old man’s hat.
If you haven’t got a penny a ha’penny will do,
If you haven’t got a ha’penny, God bless you!

Love Bing Crosby, Mike and particularly White Christmas and Little Drummer Boy

D Do They Know It's Christmas - Band Aid

... or "Ding dong merrily on high" - popular Christmas carol
-----------------------------------------------------------------

E Elvis Presley Christmas songs/albums - Blue Christmas, Santa bring my baby back (to me), Here comes Santa Claus, etc, etc ... probably where Mud , Shakin' Stevens, etc., got the inspiration from for their own UK Xmas hits.

Last edited:
...or... Fairytale of New York - The Pogues and Kirsty McColl
-----------------------------------------------------------------

G Good King Wenceslas - popular Christmas carol. Based on a story about Wenceslaus I, King/Duke of Bohemia.

Last edited:
I "In the bleak midwinter" - Christmas carol , with words by Christina Rossetti, tune by Gustav Holst. (Let's hope that the winter weather doesn't disrupt the football fixtures!).

... or "I wish it could be Christmas every day" by Roy Wood's Wizzard.

Both classics of their genres.

Last edited:
L Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow

or

Little Donkey
A while ago, Boro had a home match against Newcastle postponed (the pitch was playable, but apparently the approaches to the ground were 'snowed in' and deemed to be too dangerous).
Their manager at the time (Bobby Robson i think) inferred that we'd had the match called off because we were 'scared to play them' :ROFLMAO:.

Anyway, when the match was eventually played - later on in the spring - the first song played on the public address system was ....Let it snow.

M - Merry xmas everybody - Slade

Brilliant, Digger!

N The First NOEL

I think there is a song called No Room At The Inn but I might have made that up!

Re "Little donkey". My baby sister used to sing "Little donkey, little donkey had a very shiny nose.... far, far away in Bentley-ham". She was only a toddler at the time.
Laughed so much, I can't even remember the real lyrics
--------------------------------------------------------------

O "O Come, all ye faithful" - Christmas carol with origins in the 17th century

Last edited:
That's great, Mike!

I still make my own words up to songs!

P Past Three O'clock - made for the night watchmen in London who used a musical instrument to show they were on duty and to mark the hours - apparently!

Q Quincy (Brown)- "Christmas time" pop/rap song from the American singer . Clip on YouTube

Last edited:
R Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer

Sang the original to my son and daughter when they were little and now to my granddaughter.

The other half likes the Wounded John Scott Cree version :rolleyes:

I think he did another song called a "A hundred yards from home", which was a parody of the folk song "A hundred miles from home", and about staggering back from the pub. Not strictly about Xmas from what I recall, but it fits. Remember it being played on Radio Sheffield at Xmas years ago. Can't find it on Google. (May have been a live recording, or possibly could have been by somebody else I suppose, but definitely his style).
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
S "Santa Claus is coming to town" - The Crystals. Not to be confused with the Ronettes. On the Phil Spector Christmas album - all time classic. Bruce Springsteen version is good too.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: