Notts Cricket Thread | Page 34 | Vital Football

Notts Cricket Thread

I knew Notts would finish behind Lancashire, but can't believe that it was only by half a point. If only we'd dcored those four more runs we needed on Wednesday morning. AS for Warwickshire winning , that's a bit of a farce, as Notts finished ahead of Warwickshire in the first league, yet Warwickshire were given more points to take through to the second league . Notts basically lost all their wins, Warwickshire kept theirs. Notts played ALL the same teams as Warwickshire and scored MORE points than them in those games. That Warwickshire ended up as champions is a farce.

I'm able to keep up with the actual games as they're played mostly but the system as you describe it sounds very odd and I had no idea that is the case.
Life used to be so simple.

I'm able to keep up with the actual games as they're played mostly but the system as you describe it sounds very odd and I had no idea that is the case.
Life used to be so simple.

Just read that even though Notts finished top of the first league they carried through 5 points. Warwickshire finished second, but because two of their wins were against Notts they carried through 21 points !

They both played the same teams (except obviously playing each other), so looking at the two tables

Notts 151 plus 73 minus the 5 carried forward = 219 points actually won

Warwickshire 145 plus 77 minus 21 = 201 points.

Not even close !

Just read that even though Notts finished top of the first league they carried through 5 points. Warwickshire finished second, but because two of their wins were against Notts they carried through 21 points !

They both played the same teams (except obviously playing each other), so looking at the two tables

Notts 151 plus 73 minus the 5 carried forward = 219 points actually won

Warwickshire 145 plus 77 minus 21 = 201 points.

Not even close !

Thanks LK, understood, nothing like the old days is it.

:thumbup:

The Ashes are due in December and early January and as it's your Winter at that time I've taken over the Notts thread and hope to keep you up to date with the most important cricket in the world.
First off the dates of the Ashes games themselves, it's all subject to Covid which has played hell over here.

First game Brisbane Dec 8 - 12.
Second game Adelaide Dec 16 - 20. (Day/night) My favorite ground.
Third game Melbourne Dec 26 - 30.
Fourth game Sydney Jan 5 - 9.
Fifth game Perth Jan. 14 - 18.

At the moment most of the State borders are closed to all other states and it's impossible to know how the situation will be later on. I'll keep you posted.

Joe Root is highly regarded here and we all hope that England will be able to put a decent side together. I'm a long time admirer of Anderson and Broad, just hope they can last out for the whole tour.

Good luck.

Just a couple of items of interest.
Warner is out of form to the extent that he was dropped by his Indian side.
The Aussie bowlers seem to have been doing well in India.

I haven't been following the Indian games so am unable to offer any more info on any of the likely Ashes players.

Couple of more important points regarding the Ashes.

Stokes is expected to play, our lot now have a fight on their hands.

The Barmy Army are very popular here, hope that Covid doesn't put a spoke in their wheel. (These days they play a quite important part in the proceedings).

Another great performance by our T20 team yesterday. Strange that someone can smash 50 off 20 odd balls in a T20, but we can't bat well in the ashes. Seems the white ball makes a big difference, and can't remember if bowlers run ups are restricted in T20 still.

Couple of more important points regarding the Ashes.

Stokes is expected to play, our lot now have a fight on their hands.

The Barmy Army are very popular here, hope that Covid doesn't put a spoke in their wheel. (These days they play a quite important part in the proceedings).

Guess anyone from the UK won't be allowed in to watch the ashes, unless they have Australian residence/citizenship , whatever it's called.

Guess anyone from the UK won't be allowed in to watch the ashes, unless they have Australian residence/citizenship , whatever it's called.

We have started to open up a bit with flights etc, don't know how we're fixed with regard to the UK but I think that Oz is open to some countries and not others but it looks as though all incoming fliers must have had two jabs.

Two points again.

First off, Root is getting a mild bollocking here because he hasn't taken a strong enough stance regarding the Yorks racial slur business. That sort of stuff is taken very seriously here.

Second, and it only broke today, our Ashes captain, Paine, has resigned that position as he was guilty of sending a sexy text message to a female not his wife 4 years ago. He's married with 3 kids and obviously a bit short of brains, the message included a photograph of his genitals.

Honestly I don't know how or why these blokes dream it up, if the Barmy Army is here I'd hate t be in Paine's shoes.

Two points again.

First off, Root is getting a mild bollocking here because he hasn't taken a strong enough stance regarding the Yorks racial slur business. That sort of stuff is taken very seriously here.

Second, and it only broke today, our Ashes captain, Paine, has resigned that position as he was guilty of sending a sexy text message to a female not his wife 4 years ago. He's married with 3 kids and obviously a bit short of brains, the message included a photograph of his genitals.

Honestly I don't know how or why these blokes dream it up, if the Barmy Army is here I'd hate t be in Paine's shoes.

England v Lions abandoned because of rain ! They always make out on UK programmes (Wanted Down Under ) that it never rains in Oz !?

England v Lions abandoned because of rain ! They always make out on UK programmes (Wanted Down Under ) that it never rains in Oz !?

We have floods all the way down the Eastern Seaboard at the moment so it's not just you lot. Sorry to be late with a post but my appendix played up and finally burst which put me into hospital for a spell, I'm out now but have to take it easy for a while, partly age related. The first of the Ashes games starts on Wednesday next week and it's on TV so I've booked my seat on the couch, hope to be able to pass on useful bits and pieces.
Good luck.

We have floods all the way down the Eastern Seaboard at the moment so it's not just you lot. Sorry to be late with a post but my appendix played up and finally burst which put me into hospital for a spell, I'm out now but have to take it easy for a while, partly age related. The first of the Ashes games starts on Wednesday next week and it's on TV so I've booked my seat on the couch, hope to be able to pass on useful bits and pieces.
Good luck.

I hope you're feeling better. I do think that The Aussies are taking advantage of us. Not content with playing the matches in the middle of the night when our players are tired , you've now arranged for both our warm up games to be ruined by rain ! Not sure what happened in the second game, as I guess it wasn't classified as a first class game and there wasn't too much reporting on it, though I did see about four players "retired" on about 30. Guess they think that's a good score for an English batsman in an ashes game. (Batsman is old speak for what is now known in England as "batter" , which I always thought was something you put round cod !

I hope you're feeling better. I do think that The Aussies are taking advantage of us. Not content with playing the matches in the middle of the night when our players are tired , you've now arranged for both our warm up games to be ruined by rain ! Not sure what happened in the second game, as I guess it wasn't classified as a first class game and there wasn't too much reporting on it, though I did see about four players "retired" on about 30. Guess they think that's a good score for an English batsman in an ashes game. (Batsman is old speak for what is now known in England as "batter" , which I always thought was something you put round cod !

Of course we're taking advantage. anything to beat the pommes. But we are in some disarray, Paine out so new stumper, also new Captain, probably a fast bowler which will be a first so it's any bodies game in my opinion.
Good luck.

The Ashes are due in December and early January and as it's your Winter at that time I've taken over the Notts thread and hope to keep you up to date with the most important cricket in the world.
First off the dates of the Ashes games themselves, it's all subject to Covid which has played hell over here.

First game Brisbane Dec 8 - 12.
Second game Adelaide Dec 16 - 20. (Day/night) My favorite ground.
Third game Melbourne Dec 26 - 30.
Fourth game Sydney Jan 5 - 9.
Fifth game Perth Jan. 14 - 18.

At the moment most of the State borders are closed to all other states and it's impossible to know how the situation will be later on. I'll keep you posted.

Joe Root is highly regarded here and we all hope that England will be able to put a decent side together. I'm a long time admirer of Anderson and Broad, just hope they can last out for the whole tour.

Good luck.

Is the Perth game still in doubt ? Think I read that there is a two week isolation period for anyone who goes there, possibly including the cricketers, and I guess certainly including the fans and journalists. Difficult to do when the previous game only finishes five days earlier !

Is the Perth game still in doubt ? Think I read that there is a two week isolation period for anyone who goes there, possibly including the cricketers, and I guess certainly including the fans and journalists. Difficult to do when the previous game only finishes five days earlier !

It's still a cloudy issue, although money rules as usual and I expect that something will be worked out.
More to the point is the first game in Brisbane starting Wednesday I think, the weather may intrude although at the moment it looks OK but we have a wet season predicted all the way down the Eastern coast so who knows?

It's still a cloudy issue, although money rules as usual and I expect that something will be worked out.
More to the point is the first game in Brisbane starting Wednesday I think, the weather may intrude although at the moment it looks OK but we have a wet season predicted all the way down the Eastern coast so who knows?

Perth test match cancelled, but no replacement venue announced yet.

England 147 all out first day then no play because of rain. Greenish pitch due to rainy season, Roote won the toss and decided to bat, all wickets taken by fast bowlers including 5 by new skipper. I'm not laughing yet because that pitch could do anything.
More tomorrow.