I know I’m an old cynic, BUT………… | Vital Football

I know I’m an old cynic, BUT…………

Biggles

Vital Squad Member
I realise that most (nearly all) posters on here, display a considerable amount of healthy cynicism, so I am probably preaching to the converted in my diatribe below.
They say that getting old makes you more cynical, and in my experience that is true, (heaven alone knows what the future holds for young Herbie on that basis!), so it may be just me and my age, but I am far from happy about the way this club is being run.
After 3 wins, some fans are already talking of promotion. On that, I would urge extreme caution.
If MGW is recalled in January (which is quite likely), from where do we get a similar replacement?
This is in no way a moan about the appointment of Hecky, Stu and Jack. If they get us promoted this year, or next, they will have worked miracles. In fairness to them, I think fans’ expectations should be tempered.
There is, apparently no money. Why? Where has it all gone? As someone who studies publicly traded companies for a living (hobby), and possesses a logical mathematical brain, the figures don’t add up. I don’t believe any of the rather woolly explanations given by the Board. I have my own views as to where it has gone, but as I have no access to any proper figures and the Prince appears to have a very strong legal team at his diposal, I am saying nothing more on that subject - except to say, I am extremely cynical.
The owner talks a good game; the Chairman most certainly doesn’t. As the owner appoints the board, then he is responsible for its actions.
We have already lost two very good managers, apparently through promises made and then reneged on. That is not the way to run a business of any sort! I have absolutely no faith in the CEO or the rest of the Board, and until they are replaced, I fear that long term, our club is going nowhere except, possibly, “doing a Wednesday”.
I sincerely hope I am wrong, but fear the worst.:death: Rant over (for now).

Yes, a tad more caution needed by many
One swallow- and one bluebird- do not make a summer.

What is true though Biggles is that, when a side starts winning regularly, EVERYTHING else is forgotten.

I realise that most (nearly all) posters on here, display a considerable amount of healthy cynicism, so I am probably preaching to the converted in my diatribe below.
They say that getting old makes you more cynical, and in my experience that is true, (heaven alone knows what the future holds for young Herbie on that basis!), so it may be just me and my age, but I am far from happy about the way this club is being run.
After 3 wins, some fans are already talking of promotion. On that, I would urge extreme caution.
If MGW is recalled in January (which is quite likely), from where do we get a similar replacement?
This is in no way a moan about the appointment of Hecky, Stu and Jack. If they get us promoted this year, or next, they will have worked miracles. In fairness to them, I think fans’ expectations should be tempered.
There is, apparently no money. Why? Where has it all gone? As someone who studies publicly traded companies for a living (hobby), and possesses a logical mathematical brain, the figures don’t add up. I don’t believe any of the rather woolly explanations given by the Board. I have my own views as to where it has gone, but as I have no access to any proper figures and the Prince appears to have a very strong legal team at his diposal, I am saying nothing more on that subject - except to say, I am extremely cynical.
The owner talks a good game; the Chairman most certainly doesn’t. As the owner appoints the board, then he is responsible for its actions.
We have already lost two very good managers, apparently through promises made and then reneged on. That is not the way to run a business of any sort! I have absolutely no faith in the CEO or the rest of the Board, and until they are replaced, I fear that long term, our club is going nowhere except, possibly, “doing a Wednesday”.
I run a business and spend a lot of time doing accounts and budgets. I completely agree with you something does not add up. The only explanation I have is that the Premiership money financed the whole United World project. The Prince has massively over stretched himself and made bad decisions. Hecky and the academy could be a lifeline but within the next 12 months the Prince will have to get more investment. I almost hope we don’t get promoted because the Prince cannot afford that.

I understand some of your concerns Biggles and at times I shared them, however, your questioning of where all the money has gone and without dragging up the old CW debate, you only have to look at the signings we made during his reign. Plus PA needing funds to pay off McCabe, which certainly restricted our balance sheet.
From my point of view, the jury is still out concerning the hierarchy at the Lane and where I read on another thread, I agree, it takes guts to act quickly when things were obviously not going to plan. We won't know whether that was the correct decision for some time.
I cannot now see us doing a Wendy, but at worst will be a mid championship league club. However, I do feel more positive that we could get back up to the Premier before the parachute payments run out.
Perhaps I'm being too optimistic. Time will tell.

We must always remember there is reality and our perception of reality, a perception that is tainted by on the field success. I will go to one point about losing two managers over broken promises. I really don't think this was Wilder. Wilder spent more money that every other manager of the club combined. He was backed and backed strongly. Did he have some recruitment done for him? I think so. I don't thing Berge was his player, but Wilders problems were in his own head, not through broken promises. The feedback from Twirlo from the horses mouth suggests this to be the case.

Similarly, Slav may have gone to the board with a long list of players he wanted, but having teased three goals out of £70m of strikers, and being 19 points off automatic after 18 games, would you have given him the money.? What was so good about his formations and selections and tactics that made us think he was going to get it right here.?

I do share a sense of disquiet about the club, that all is not quite as it seems, but I'm not seeing a Tunaman scenario here. I hope not. HRH could have done things very differently with the ground and the assets, but I think he took the honourable route. I don't get the sense that he is clueless or malevolent...

so your basing your fears on MGW going back ,which hasnt happened and accourding to the wolves manager it isnt going to happen, and on money thats come in and cause now were skint ,but you arnt privy to actual figures lmfao .brilliant. id stop thinking about it ,watch the games and concentrate on what you actually know for 100 percent fact . And because you have no faith then the club is doomed. wallop thats it then we may as well give up .

I understand some of your concerns Biggles and at times I shared them, however, your questioning of where all the money has gone and without dragging up the old CW debate, you only have to look at the signings we made during his reign. Plus PA needing funds to pay off McCabe, which certainly restricted our balance sheet.
From my point of view, the jury is still out concerning the hierarchy at the Lane and where I read on another thread, I agree, it takes guts to act quickly when things were obviously not going to plan. We won't know whether that was the correct decision for some time.
I cannot now see us doing a Wendy, but at worst will be a mid championship league club. However, I do feel more positive that we could get back up to the Premier before the parachute payments run out.
Perhaps I'm being too optimistic. Time will tell.
Seems you are flying higher than most of us whatever has happened to the money. the PL is along way off without some investment in new players. Even if we flunked it into PL even with the PL money there would need to be additional investment to keep us there. From the evidence we've seen so far it isn't there Cynical maybe but a more practical interpretation.

We must always remember there is reality and our perception of reality, a perception that is tainted by on the field success. I will go to one point about losing two managers over broken promises. I really don't think this was Wilder. Wilder spent more money that every other manager of the club combined. He was backed and backed strongly. Did he have some recruitment done for him? I think so. I don't thing Berge was his player, but Wilders problems were in his own head, not through broken promises. The feedback from Twirlo from the horses mouth suggests this to be the case.

Similarly, Slav may have gone to the board with a long list of players he wanted, but having teased three goals out of £70m of strikers, and being 19 points off automatic after 18 games, would you have given him the money.? What was so good about his formations and selections and tactics that made us think he was going to get it right here.?

I do share a sense of disquiet about the club, that all is not quite as it seems, but I'm not seeing a Tunaman scenario here. I hope not. HRH could have done things very differently with the ground and the assets, but I think he took the honourable route. I don't get the sense that he is clueless or malevolent...
bang on wi a few things, wilder was broken at how the players he loved just stopped playing for him,he couldnt motivate em and it hurt. The prince wasnt going to risk the clubs future by throwing money at it like he did wi chris whether it isnt a lot compared to others or not. He got the slav appointment wrong in hind site he knows , he apparently through others got whiff of the players not playing /training for slav ,spoke to senior players and the rest is as we are now.
this constant mumping at how the club is run on social media isnt any good ,when the concerns actually happen then we can all do summat about it ,until then get to the lane and have a lovely pie, remember its all contact less though lol

I’d say he has put the clubs future at risk the parachute payments that are supposed to be a cushion to ease relegation have already been borrowed against and so we are left with nothing to fall back on when we should have been buying to secure players who could get us back we scraped loans together at the last minute that’s not good leadership imo
i think we need to go back ASAP just to bring some much needed cash through the door yes we may yo yo for a yr a two but I’d take that over waiting for investment like Kev did who knows where we would be by the time that happens if ever

How toooooo end up with a £1,000,000......

Start with £100,000,000 and buy a football club.

I don’t really give a fcuk about off field antics at BDTBL, The Board/Owner, transfer in/out, managers ........

I can’t explain to myself after more years then i care to remember being a Blade why even now the emotional roller coaster they give me ......

Fcuking hell in all other walks of life they wud have been fcuked off years ago !

How toooooo end up with a £1,000,000......

Start with £100,000,000 and buy a football club.

I don’t really give a fcuk about off field antics at BDTBL, The Board/Owner, transfer in/out, managers ........

I can’t explain to myself after more years then i care to remember being a Blade why even now the emotional roller coaster they give me ......

Fcuking hell in all other walks of life they wud have been fcuked off years ago !
It has always been a roller coaster ride OG.

The thing is lads - and thank you all for your views - I no longer care.
After nearly 74 years watching the Blades, chewing my finger nails and worrying about the result, it has stopped being important to me.
I actually really enjoyed watching the Bristol game, because the result didn’t matter to me, and I thought it was very entertaining. I wasn’t swearing (to myself) at players when they made a mistake. It was lovely, as though a weight had been taken from my shoulders.
Yes, it’s true that my age and health conditions mean that I am unlikely to see the long term picture emerge, but while I’m here, I would prefer to see my club play attractive and successful football. Lets hope they do.
So yes, Twirls, while ever I can, I will continue getting down to ’Lane and, rather oddly, probably enjoy myself more than ever (except the fist 4 years under CW), but I certainly won’t be having a pie. :wagging: Cheers!

Last edited:
After nearly 74 years watching the Blades, chewing my finger nails and worrying about the result, it has stopped being important to me.
I actually really enjoyed watching the Bristol game, because the result didn’t matter to me, and I thought it was very entertaining. I wasn’t swearing (to myself) at players when they made a mistake. It was lovely, as though a weight had been taken from my shoulders.
Yes, it’s true that my age and health conditions mean that I am unlikely to see the long term picture emerge, but while I’m here, I would prefer to see my club play attractive and successful football. Lets hope they do.
So yes, Twirls, while ever I can, I will continue getting down to ’Lane and, rather oddly, probably enjoy myself more than ever (except the fist 3 years under CW), but I certainly won’t be having a pie. :wagging: Cheers!
Makes me wonder if we will all get like you when we get to a certain age or whether it’s unique to you m8 I want us to win but I also want to be entertained I don’t swear to myself though when players make a mistake everyone around me can hear 🤭 I need to try and 🤐 a bit more

So yes, Twirls, while ever I can, I will continue getting down to ’Lane and, rather oddly, probably enjoy myself more than ever (except the fist 3 years under CW), but I certainly won’t be having a pie. :wagging: Cheers!
Hope you've got plenty of years left mi owd pal,i don't really trust any of the money folk in football not just those at BDBL. 3 wins in a row for us now,if we were like the clowns at S6 we'd be thinkin world domination's back on but most BLADES, well them that i know anyway think we're due a loss.:LOL: UTB

Makes me wonder if we will all get like you when we get to a certain age or whether it’s unique to you m8 I want us to win but I also want to be entertained I don’t swear to myself though when players make a mistake everyone around me can hear 🤭 I need to try and 🤐 a bit more
Well you are one BIG MOUTHY GIT Mi owd pal.:yes: UTB

Coming up to 69 next week I think the expectation subsides ( a conditioned reflex from so many let downs??) so I do think age probable lends a bit of perspective and balance but, during those 90 minutes, whilst I might , on the very odd occasion, be minded to acknowledge a bit of decent play from the opposition, I am rooting for the Blades as strongly as ever.

The build up, and the aftermath, are less consuming than they were but ,yes, the game still counts.

Also, whilst some might see it as heresy on a Blades forum, there's also the opportunity to see and appreciate, without jealously or hatred, some of the best football, and footballers combined as a team, that the world has ever seen - and that, for me, is watching the sheer excellence that is Man City.

Yes they have more money that we can ever dream of and lend weight to my earlier comment that winning tends to obscure any other faults but ,for me, they are the finest I have ever seen.