Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread

the same feeling coming out of the ground though, a feeling of relief that we didn't disgrace ourselves
Sure, but that's valid against a machine like City, isn't it? We wish we were at the level where we should be livid but we're just not. Players deserve credit for not only keeping going and keeping us with a shout right until the end, but also not letting the quality drop in our play and resort to hoof ball. A game nobody expected us to win but a really promising performance that would have beaten most of the teams in this league.

I half get the “but we still lost” argument. As much as I’d like to win every game, no team wins every game.

Where I get disappointed which seemed to be a trend under our former manager, was that we’d play well against top sides but ultimately lose, and then we’d go next game and play a Burnley or a Watford and lose or draw that one.

The speed of passing from Mings to Targett was ferocious, because it had to be. Targett controlled every ball fired at him, and moved it on. I dislike the way we can raise our intensity out of necessity for a Citeh or Liverpool, but we then slow it back down for the next game.

If we played like that second half against 16 other teams in the league, we’d blow them away each and every time. It’s obviously not that linear and it doesn’t work like that, but the more we can play faster, quicker and with more precision, the better we’ll get as an average.

Last edited:
Where I get disappointed which seemed to be a trend under our former manager, was that we’d play well against top sides but ultimately lose, and then we’d go next game and play a Burnley or a Watford and lose or draw that one.

Exactly this. And why I said earlier. Context of last night is the result of the next game. And in our case it’s a game v a team who whether we like it or not are ahead of us but are absolutely catchable not only because of the pr spouted by the club about ‘big plans’ but because we are AVFC and they are …well….Leicester.

Over to you SG and players.

Last edited:
Exactly this. And why I said earlier. Context of last night is the result of the next game. And in our case it’s a game v a team who whether we like it or not are ahead of us but are absolutely catchable no only because of the pr spouted by the club about ‘big plans’ but because we are AVFC and they are …well….Leicester.

Over to you SG and players.
I suppose a teenage Villa fan views Leicester as a bigger club than Villa as they will have only seen Leicester as above us and Villa as a championship/ newly-promoted side.
I see people views are often era or age-related as to how we see things

That was the first time in ages that I've seen a cit£h team panic like they did at times in the second half. They even resorted to hoofing it up the pitch at times. If we could have played in the first half like we did in the second I believe the result would have been completely different. The miss by chucky was criminal regardless of his age and lack of experience and it was a pity it didn't fall to a different player.

That was the first time in ages that I've seen a cit£h team panic like they did at times in the second half. They even resorted to hoofing it up the pitch at times. If we could have played in the first half like we did in the second I believe the result would have been completely different. The miss by chucky was criminal regardless of his age and lack of experience and it was a pity it didn't fall to a different player.
I somewhat agree but who would have scored it 100% on their left foot, I wouldn't fancy any of our players

I hate to say it in some ways, but that was the first time Guardiola really impressed me. The instruction to Jack was sit back and time waste, they won't clobber you BUT don't try and go past them, keep possession and hit the corner when you can.

Worked a treat sadly. Took our momentum with a click of a finger and allowed them to settle again.

I hate to say it in some ways, but that was the first time Guardiola really impressed me. The instruction to Jack was sit back and time waste, they won't clobber you BUT don't try and go past them, keep possession and hit the corner when you can.

Worked a treat sadly. Took our momentum with a click of a finger and allowed them to settle again.
He had a £100m player on the bench to bring on to execute that specific task. Just shows you the sheer differences in levels and resources between the two sides.

There's the short term, and the longer term. Short term we lost. Period. Nothing to celebrate.

Longer term, what can we take from it? SG's continuing to improve the team. Overall that was a good performance compared to what went on before (although plenty of things to improve). First half wasn't great; overdoing playing it out from the back, and Luiz was a passenger. Second half was much better. We can and should do better.

Surprised Carney was brought on instead of Ramsey, but maybe SG wants to exercise his whole squad. AEG would have been another good option. And I'd like to see Archer at least on the bench.

He had a £100m player on the bench to bring on to execute that specific task. Just shows you the sheer differences in levels and resources between the two sides.

Yup, anyone else and Cash/others would've been more in and played the averages or got sucked into lunging and then he's free, but as we know, Jack can keep you on your toes for 30 seconds without actually going anywhere.

Blimey did he say that or is that your idea?