Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread | Page 29 | Vital Football

Aston Villa v Manchester City - Match Thread

Pleased with that, could have walked away with a draw, no humiliation, second goal we conceded was on the break as we were trying to get forward, we have to remember they have world class players (and some of their touches, lets be honest, were sublime)

Never went hiding, second half gave as good as we got. Loads of positives.
yep back to plucky losers! :throw:

Just listened to Gerrard’s after match interview and he talks about being more cute in transitions by fouling when necessary….can certainly learn from City…they are the masters of it. Did it throughout the 90 and certainly makes it easier for players to continue doing it when no yellows are dished out as was the case with Mr Dean tonight.

Think that the midfield of SJM, Luiz and Marv is our best combination. So much stronger with Marv at the base .

Midfield quite the conundrum isn't it?

I simply can't say which is our best three, especially after Sanson looked pretty useful when he came on, especially with respect to passing which none of the others can do particularly well.

I'd still say get an out and out PL CM in and let the other two, whoever they are, force their way into the first team behind him.

yep back to plucky losers! :throw:
We are still transitioning from a broke championship side from 3 years ago. We’ve come a long way in a very short time, lost our star performer and put in a fine performance against one of the most expensively assembled teams ever.

I don’t get the criticism of individuals. Bailey hasn’t been fit all season, we’ve never seen 90mins from Sanson, Chucky’s still a kid and a raw talent. Not trying to excuse anyone here, but this is an exciting group of players who will develop and the team will continue to be strengthened. I’m beginning to Trust SG with our future and reckon we’ll have a stronger second half of the season as his methods and standards become imprinted on the players.

Let’s all take the time to enjoy the development of this team. I truly believe that we’re only going to get better as individuals and as a team. Enjoyed the game tonight and apart from two long, speculative shots that flew into our net (have to give them credit for both but they could just as easily have missed), we restricted them, competed and gave the neutral a very entertaining game. We’re still 18 months off the five year plan. Can’t wait for the next game or the one against Liverplop - we need these tests.

We are still transitioning from a broke championship side from 3 years ago. We’ve come a long way in a very short time, lost our star performer and put in a fine performance against one of the most expensively assembled teams ever.

I don’t get the criticism of individuals. Bailey hasn’t been fit all season, we’ve never seen 90mins from Sanson, Chucky’s still a kid and a raw talent. Not trying to excuse anyone here, but this is an exciting group of players who will develop and the team will continue to be strengthened. I’m beginning to Trust SG with our future and reckon we’ll have a stronger second half of the season as his methods and standards become imprinted on the players.

Let’s all take the time to enjoy the development of this team. I truly believe that we’re only going to get better as individuals and as a team. Enjoyed the game tonight and apart from two long, speculative shots that flew into our net (have to give them credit for both but they could just as easily have missed), we restricted them, competed and gave the neutral a very entertaining game. We’re still 18 months off the five year plan. Can’t wait for the next game or the one against Liverplop - we need these tests.

Really looking forward to Leicester on Sunday - that could be quite a game.

Really looking forward to Leicester on Sunday - that could be quite a game.
We’ve got better each game, I’m afraid to say we’d have been hammered under DS. There’s not a huge difference in style, but the structure and discipline is improving which I think will lead to more consistency. You can see there’s a belief in what they are trying to do now. I loved the dream of DS, but I’m preferring the steel of SG.

First 10-15 minutes we were all over the shop, our shape was wrong, Citeh seemed to have 12 players on the pitch our shape was that bad.

Fair play to the gaffer, he dropped Bailey in the midfield and Ollie dropped deeper - with a bit of luck and judgement, we held out for quite a while and then when we slowed the game, started to get our confidence and passing, we gave away a soft goal.

Thought Luiz was fantastic, McGinn and Marv played really well. Back 4 were good too defensively, Targett seems to have got his confidence and fitness back.

The most disappointing thing at the the back is Cash’s crossing. You can bet your bottom dollar if the attacker is near post he’ll loop it far post, and if the attacker is far post he’ll try and low ball in. His decision making is terrible when it comes to crossing, no composure. I like Cash a lot, but he needs to work on the routines.

Emi2 was poor, still doesn’t do the basics well enough. Ollie had a much better game, held the ball up much better and deserved his goal.

Genuinely think we deserved a point with that performance, the statto’s will disagree, but the tactics of the game to hold out and the chances we created saw huge swings of momentum in our favour and if only we had more composure in the final third (not just Carney - Emi2, Bailey also), then we would’ve scored more than one today.

Pleasing result and I’ve never chanted Villa til I die so vociferously!

First 10-15 minutes we were all over the shop, our shape was wrong, Citeh seemed to have 12 players on the pitch our shape was that bad.

Fair play to the gaffer, he dropped Bailey in the midfield and Ollie dropped deeper - with a bit of luck and judgement, we held out for quite a while and then when we slowed the game, started to get our confidence and passing, we gave away a soft goal.

Thought Luiz was fantastic, McGinn and Marv played really well. Back 4 were good too defensively, Targett seems to have got his confidence and fitness back.

The most disappointing thing at the the back is Cash’s crossing. You can bet your bottom dollar if the attacker is near post he’ll loop it far post, and if the attacker is far post he’ll try and low ball in. His decision making is terrible when it comes to crossing, no composure. I like Cash a lot, but he needs to work on the routines.

Emi2 was poor, still doesn’t do the basics well enough. Ollie had a much better game, held the ball up much better and deserved his goal.

Genuinely think we deserved a point with that performance, the statto’s will disagree, but the tactics of the game to hold out and the chances we created saw huge swings of momentum in our favour and if only we had more composure in the final third (not just Carney - Emi2, Bailey also), then we would’ve scored more than one today.

Pleasing result and I’ve never chanted Villa til I die so vociferously!

I agree with everything except Emi2 - he was one of our better performers IMO. It was his incisive passing that got us into their final 3rd. I agree he had some poor touches and passes but overwhelming he was positive and busted a long for us until the final minute. You cannot put him in the same class as Bailey tonight who from the first minute looked disinterested without the ball and selfish with it.

I'll add to your assessment that Watkins was MotM for me. If he had of played like that vs. Palace we'd probably have been out of sight by HT. His hold up play was excellent and he mostly made the right decisions. The goal capped off a much more confident and assured performance just edging out Marv as our best player IMO.

Also a quick word on Gerrard's tweaks, I never thought a midfield of Luiz, McGinn and Marv could work but they completely bossed the second half. All thats missing is real physicality and a bit more ingenuity.

Yep Dougie and Marv second half very comfortable mixing it with them.
We'd ave done most teams tonight if we'd played like we did second half all game
Decent in second half. Has to be said they were without five players who would walk into most other PL teams yet it didnt stop them flying at us first half.
Bailey injured again but flatters to deceive anyway. Ramsey had a niggle, otherwise he would be unlucky to be left out.
Leicester another real test.

Interesting thing I noticed last night and not sure if anybody else did, but Luiz and McGinn, primarily 1st half, dropping into Cash's and Targett's positions with them higher up the field when we were bringing the ball out from the back. No idea the reasoning behind this, maybe keep possession better or disrupt Citehs line's but it's intriguing and maybe just another example of Gerrard's tactical nous.
Whatever it is I'm extremely impressed by how he's got us playing so far.

I was dreading this game but left feeling that we're back on right track. Yeah they had a few players out but look at how much that team they put out cost, getting on for half a billion pounds.

First 15 the murdered us. They are machine like when playing like that unfortunately. Genuinely couldn't see anything other than a heavy loss at that point. But they stuck at it and we actually looked dangerous on the counter. Thought we were unlucky to go in 2 down as the first was a big dirty slice of luck.

Second half was a different story. Thought we were the better team throughout but they still controlled the game, which you'd expect. Was surprised by the subs second half as I was fully expecting El Ghazi and Ramsey. Not sure it was the right moment for Chukwuemeka but I probably wouldn't have been saying that if he'd scored his chance.

Overall a good performance but zero points. The improvement is impressive though as we've actually gotten better with each game under Gerrard which points to it not simply being a new manager bounce. Onto Leicester Sunday and hopefully 3 points. UTV!