Style of football and enjoyment of going v points | Vital Football

Style of football and enjoyment of going v points

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
What would we all have? i appreciate at the moment we dont really have either. Maybe I'm getting old and my memory of the late eighties and some of the football in the championship makes it better than it was but it was certainly a better style of football to watch.

Lets take Exeter City as an example. A well run club who play decent looking football and use their academy properly but are unlikely, at he moment anyway, to challenge the top end of league one versus this constant battle to try and push on playing a style of football where watching paint dry on a saturday afternoon could challenge it

Some of the stuff under BFSE I’ve really enjoyed. The long ball tactics don’t bother me as long as there is purpose and not aimless hoofball. There’s beauty in a cross-field long diagonal from Tucker to Oliver; a cushioned header to Dempsey leading 1:1 with the keeper.

I also love it when we deploy the high press we’ll. so many teams try and play it out from the back but most L1 players aren’t capable of doing it. How many times have we won the ball off the opposition in the 18 year box? There were games last season when we did it really effectively.

Occasionally we get some proper skill especially in the wide areas. Graham last season. Careyol this season (when he’s not injured).

There are a couple of frustrations for me (aside from not having the depth of squad we need to compete). I get iterated that we don’t make the most of set pieces. Too many corners don’t clear the first defender. The goal return on Jackson’s long throws is awful. And finally, this season, there has been some aimless stuff.

Everyone remembers our promotion season under Pulis. Remarkable achievement given the state of the club and the group of free transfers he assembled. Style was pretty awful, but did we care?
His team was built on a great defence, wasn’t it a record low number of goals Stannard conceded that season?
A bit like when Martin Allen won us the League 2 title, the low goals against was the key to it, we were great at winning away and not conceding, the home form wasn’t as good overall but we kept the results ticking over.

Everyone remembers our promotion season under Pulis. Remarkable achievement given the state of the club and the group of free transfers he assembled. Style was pretty awful, but did we care?

We played some great stuff early on in that season but that all changed with O'Connors injury in the Fulham match

I know I have a selective memory, but we played some glorious football under Sir Keith, silken one touch stuff with the attitude that if the opposition scored 4, we’d score 5. It didn’t achieve promotion.

If we have to alert air traffic control and give the ball aspirin before every game in order to survive this season, only the Facebook mob will complain.

The only thing I will say if we don't have the players to successfully play the diamond formation I wish he would switch to a more traditional 442 but perhaps we don't have the players for that.

Last edited:
I remember, not too long ago, we played some really patient stuff under Peter Taylor. A number of the twats sat around me would be shouting: “get it up there”.

Agree with points and wins first. No one walks away unhappy after a win.

Conversely, play great following stuff and lose 0-2 and no one is happy.

Getting both would be wonderful. But you have to have a group of players that are obviously a lot better than the division to achieve that. For which you need big gates and big income.

Only time we had both was 73/4 with his Highness Alan Wilks.

Second best for entertainment was under Sir Keith and the attendances were abysmal. Never understood why they were so bad given that we were quite successful (I take account of attendances everywhere being poor in those days).