The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by BUPA "for all your medical needs") | Page 3 | Vital Football

The Official Crewe Alexandra Match Thread (Sponsored by BUPA "for all your medical needs")

Worrying. We’re vulnerable at the back and pose little threat up front. But we toil mightily.

We look a bit dozy at the back, look quite useful in between going forward, and seem to offer nothing at all in attack. I think a couple of goals could really change things, but can’t see where they are to come from at the moment.
Up the Gills!

People say that without Evans we are going down, but with him that’s where we are headed currently anyway. Agree with 58 (for once) in that Evans constantly moaning that he has to play youth team players who aren’t ready is counter productive.
For me it’s the worst group of players we have had since Pennock’s season in charge, we did manage to stay up on the final day and I’d take that again tbh.

People say that without Evans we are going down, but with him that’s where we are headed currently anyway. Agree with 58 (for once) in that Evans constantly moaning that he has to play youth team players who aren’t ready is counter productive.
For me it’s the worst group of players we have had since Pennock’s season in charge, we did manage to stay up on the final day and I’d take that again tbh.

I think this group of players is better than that Pennock team, we just can’t get them on the bloody pitch

I would agree that going public repeatedly saying the kids are not ready possibly does not only knock their confidence.It also makes opposition managers look for their weaknesses before the game and try to exploit them.Not sure you are right that this is the worse group. Fitness appears to be a major issue if we had a fully fit squad then I feel they would do a lot better .Various reasons for the fitness problems.The Embargo has had a affect as well for all the denials.Only being allowed to sign players on a short term deals and having everyone out of contract come June. Especially when you have injuries in the camp will affect the thinking of players. If you have a longer deal you are probably more likely to take a chance with your fitness when the manager really needs you.
The nearer we get to the end of the season the more players will look out for number one.

Last edited:
I would agree that going public repeatedly saying the kids are not ready possibly does not only knock their confidence.It also makes opposition managers look for their weaknesses before the game and try to exploit them.Not sure you are right that this is the worse group. Fitness appears to be a major issue if we had a fully fit squad then I feel they would do a lot better .Various reasons for the fitness problems.The Embargo has had a affect as well for all the denials.
I didn’t say it’s the worst group, just the worst since Pennock’s season in charge (but not worse than that squad was). Just the seasons in between including Evans’ first 2 seasons we’ve had better squads.

Evans seems very good at his own PR to protect his reputation. The excuses trip off his tongue after every poor result .
This squad needs it's confidence boosted as well as new blood.