Evans to Stevenage... | Page 9 | Vital Football

Evans to Stevenage...

Scally was in the right on this, Pulis tried to blackmail Scally for much greater sum. The amount that Pulis got was what was left on his contract

Which iirc Scally actually tried to pay him when he left. It was Pulis that dragged it through the courts asking for a greater sum.

Didn’t the judge remark something along the lines of Pulis being “one of the most dishonest people ever to stand in front of him” or words to that effect........

It's a matter of record and you can find newspaper accounts from the time ...Scally lost and Pulis accepted an out of court settlement which had nothing to do with what he 'was owed' ,according to the chairman who wanted to pay him nothing. I'm surprised anyone still believes Paul Scally's version of events.
It is rubbish and you’re trying to rewrite history. All through the court case Gills agreed they owed £50,000. With costs, it was settled at £75,000. All Pulis’s other claims amounting to more than £130,000 were dropped. The tribunal case collapsed when the Tribunal chair suggested that Pulis’s actions might be construed as blackmail.

Last edited:
It's a matter of record and you can find newspaper accounts from the time ...Scally lost and Pulis accepted an out of court settlement which had nothing to do with what he 'was owed' ,according to the chairman who wanted to pay him nothing. I'm surprised anyone still believes Paul Scally's version of events.
Really? Not how I remember it. Any chance of referencing (reliable) newspaper accounts?

He went on to screw over Palace. Aask Steve Parrish what he thinks of Pulis.

Really? Not how I remember it. Any chance of referencing (reliable) newspaper accounts?
He went on to screw over Palace. Aask Steve Parrish what he thinks of Pulis.

I may be wrong but I have a memory that the Bristol City Chairman that lured him away was not too impressed by his behaviour while he was there either. Possibly Stoke as well?

I think one of Pulis's gripes was that he believed he was entitled to a proportion of transfer profits, particularly regarding Akinbiyi, even though he used that profit to buy SBT and Asaba. If that had been in his contract then he would have been awarded more than £70k in total.

Just a friendly comment, LHG - I thought that the matter was purely in the civil courts - blackmail is a criminal offence - need to be careful there, just saying..

It’s all in the public domain that PS did accuse TP of blackmail.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2001/apr/27/newsstory.sport1

That article above does not make good reading for anyone supporting TP. And it probably indicates why the judge was scathing of him in his summing up, whilst awarding TP purely the sum owed in his contract and nothing more (which is what GFC requested all along).

The share of transfer profits wangle is one Pulus learned from the master Harry, who of course can hardly add up. It looks workable at first sight but breaks down when you notice that a manager could engineer a transfer at the most opportune moment for himself, rather than the club.

It’s all in the public domain that PS did accuse TP of blackmail.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/football/2001/apr/27/newsstory.sport1

That article above does not make good reading for anyone supporting TP. And it probably indicates why the judge was scathing of him in his summing up, whilst awarding TP purely the sum owed in his contract and nothing more (which is what GFC requested all along).

It might be construed as semantics, but one needs to be careful about choice of words. Lozzy`s words do not repeat a county court reference apparently made specifically by PS; the words Pulis tried to blackmail Scally, as written, are his/her (Lozzy`s) own - i.e. appear in the first person as a fact. Just put an "allegedly" in there and it dilutes it sufficiently. I`m not supporting either party, BTW - just making a reference to how careful people need to be on line about things they say, or think they say ! It`s a jungle out there - ask some of the SOB..

The share of transfer profits wangle is one Pulus learned from the master Harry, who of course can hardly add up. It looks workable at first sight but breaks down when you notice that a manager could engineer a transfer at the most opportune moment for himself, rather than the club.

Also, to balance matters, I also can not see any manager accepting financial responsibility for any dud that they ask the club to sign and then make a substantial loss on.

It hardly matters these days at this level, as players rarely command transfer fees.

Pulis got £75,000, the club also had to fork out £150,000 in costs . Scally got nothing . Seems a pretty clear final score to me.
You'll be telling me next Scally won against the Russo brothers and against Mark McCammon. Quite apart from his ludicrous 'consultancy' retainer the man has cost us a fortune.
Still you go on believing Scally, also Trump won the election, Covid doesn't exist and the Pope plays for Hartlepool.

I also have a vague memory of some dodgy behaviour at Portsmouth.

A little off subject, a very good friend of mine is friendly with an old ex pompey goal keeper (Alan Knight) who played all his career for pompey in all 4 divisions.
He told my mate that Tony Pulis was the worst manager he had played under & reckoned he was an arrogent obnoxious git. I was quite surprised to be honest but Alan Knight would know more about him than me having worked under many different managers in his career.

Fans on this Stevenage forum reckon Evans will be announced as their manager on Wednesday. The timing does fit Evans’ quotes about hoping to still be Gills manager on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday:
https://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/borochat/article/515005
Heist that’s hard to read that forum! Have to click and open every post, unless that’s something on my phone settings.

Aparently we are having a “mass” protest tomorrow
They must be following the discussion forum.

Heist that’s hard to read that forum! Have to click and open every post, unless that’s something on my phone settings.

Aparently we are having a “mass” protest tomorrow
They must be following the discussion forum.

Looks like it OSK and I think the ours by Wednesday call merely comes from Evans' interview where he talks about it being Scally's call... tomorrow, Monday, Tuesday. He may go tomorrow but I doin't think any Stevenage fans have any more of an inside track than we do.

His reaction at the final whistle tonight will be interesting. Will it be a wave goodbye?

I wonder whether the players know the true situation ? If they do, how could it affect their performance tonight ? Might a heartless core struggle to perform or, as true supporters of SE, do they dig-in for the gaffer ? Or, if there`s no truth in the Stevenage situation, do we, as a professional team focus purely on get stuck in and avenge our recent losses against Chelts....

Pulis got £75,000, the club also had to fork out £150,000 in costs . Scally got nothing . Seems a pretty clear final score to me.
You'll be telling me next Scally won against the Russo brothers and against Mark McCammon. Quite apart from his ludicrous 'consultancy' retainer the man has cost us a fortune.
Still you go on believing Scally, also Trump won the election, Covid doesn't exist and the Pope plays for Hartlepool.

Pulis had to pay his costs as well, which I suspect ate up most, if not all, of his award. No one wins with litigation, except lawyers.

To be fair to Scally, both Pulis and McCammon brought legal action against the club, and both of them only effectively received payments that they were clearly entitled to under their contracts, definitely much less than they were originally asking for. The Russo brothers thing was a bit weird - getting a loan from a salad supplier?

His big win was the case against Centreplate where the judge "described Gillingham Football Club’s Chairman Mr. Paul Scally as “admirable” and praised him for his running of the Club."

I do agree that he rushes to litigation too quickly and that ends up costing the club a lot of money in the form of costs, but what would you have said if he had just laid down and paid out a snake like Pulis and a waste of space like McCammon in full?

When Pulis brought Stoke to GFC its the only time I ever heard home fans chanting their admiration for a visiting manager.
Must have been a snake charmer at work .