Evans gets results | Page 6 | Vital Football

Evans gets results

Jeez where to start. Are you seriously comparing SE and Ferguson? They're working in separate universes.

We knew what we were getting when PS appointed SE, so if you were against his appointment why leave it till over two years in to walk away?

SE operating methods are no different to MA or TP, two of our most successful managers in PS time here. If you know anything about football management you'd know that all players need handling differently,some need a kick us the arse weekly some needed a constant arm round the shoulder. If you get it wrong it can end as Kelman appears to have. Players and managers telling each other to "fuck off" is common place.I f Kelman has gone there's more to this that just that single incident.

If you've worked as closely with players as you claim to have, you'd also know the a football club is not a normal working environment, the way players, managers talk to each other would not be tolerated in most other work places. I'll refer you again to MA and TP as two of the worst for it, but they brought relative success. JED may have got us playing some good football, but his training methods towards the end of his time here (he was here for a shorter period than SE) were fucking shocking, oh, and he signed JET!

Has SE made mistakes, got poor signings in, played hoofball and got things wrong, of course he has but name me a Gillingham manager that hasn't in the last 40 years.

I wasn't a fan of SE appointment but IMO I shudder to think where we'd be if he hadn't been here for the last couple of years given what's gone on in the world in that time and the mess the club appears to be in off the field and budget he's been working too. We only have I think (without checking) 17 contracted players.

I guess fairly soon we'll see where we go without SE but I fear when he leaves it will be south fairly rapidly.
But they weren’t always working in different universes - SE managed Leeds in the same manner as he has managed every other club - he did his Merry go round move players in and move players out in abundance he never actually coached players to Cellino kicked him and Rayner out after 7 months . Not all football club managers use the verbal language like evans does - he’s dreadful even amongst the home supporters around the dugouts - I’ve never heard anyone as bad as he.My point is - he’s old hat a dinosaur and the world is changing and football will have to follow suit like it or not. There won’t be room for the Alladyces warnocks and Evans of the world - thank god - no decency no morals. I don’t want them associated with my club or any English professional club for that matter. Also referring to your comment re ‘all players need handling differently’Evans only knows one way ! Tbh you will never know what might have happened to the club if Evans had not been appointed - thats speculation all round. I wouldn’t wish the club or players any ills regardless who is in charge - but Evans or his type are not for me.
More worrying is the decrease in current gates and I know people have been attacking scally but this brand of football is dire - and there’s only two people to blame for this. Evans and Rayner. This is the third season to sort it out and this season has gone backwards in football terms. They recruited the players 🤷🏻‍♂️

But they weren’t always working in different universes - SE managed Leeds in the same manner as he has managed every other club - he did his Merry go round move players in and move players out in abundance he never actually coached players to Cellino kicked him and Rayner out after 7 months . Not all football club managers use the verbal language like evans does - he’s dreadful even amongst the home supporters around the dugouts - I’ve never heard anyone as bad as he.My point is - he’s old hat a dinosaur and the world is changing and football will have to follow suit like it or not. There won’t be room for the Alladyces warnocks and Evans of the world - thank god - no decency no morals. I don’t want them associated with my club or any English professional club for that matter. Also referring to your comment re ‘all players need handling differently’Evans only knows one way ! Tbh you will never know what might have happened to the club if Evans had not been appointed - thats speculation all round. I wouldn’t wish the club or players any ills regardless who is in charge - but Evans or his type are not for me.
More worrying is the decrease in current gates and I know people have been attacking scally but this brand of football is dire - and there’s only two people to blame for this. Evans and Rayner. This is the third season to sort it out and this season has gone backwards in football terms. They recruited the players 🤷🏻‍♂️

But there are lots of old hat "dinosaur" managers, still working and at a decent level. The younger generation see them as dinosaurs, the older generation see them as disciplinarian and have high expectations and old fashioned morals. Abit like in society. Alot of youngsters have no self discipline or respect for themselves, others or things in general.

You say about JED but he totally lost control of the squad and training was a joke for the last 6 months he was in charge (I use that term losely). That would never happen under Warnock, Evans, Ferguson etc al, the dinosaurs as you put it.

If you think SE is bad I assume you weren't around the club under Pulis, he could be fecking horrible, not just to players and staff but even fans if you caught him in the wrong mood or on a bad day.

Modern day footballer are a mollycodled bunch in general who need discipline but don't like being told what to do, some need an arm round the shoulder and some need a kick up the arse to get the best out of them. If these dinosaurs as you describe them didn't get the best out of or have the respect of the majority of footballers they manage they wouldn't last long in the game.

You seem a bit of a snowflake tbh. Football is a hard brutal business but maybe I'm a dinosaur.

Different managers use different methods but very few are what could be called kind.
When I played, even at non league, most were brutal.
One Manager, who had a sarcastic side, when doing the halftime talk gave instructions to different players then said to me, Oh Hiya. Have you just arrived?
Effing cheek 😂
Was funny though.

But Steve Evans managed to keep Leeds United up in the Championship against all odds- on a tight budget, brought in promising players from the youth team, and made some key loan acquisitions, and he even endeared himself to a sizeable proportion of Leeds fans when he left the club.

And, yes, Cellino was right that 'Evans talks too much', and his style of play involves long, sweeping balls into areas of the pitch when creating an attack, and doesn't really have a plan B when things go awry. But so did Pulis and Martin Allen and they were both two of the most successful managers in our club's history.

And Cellino should never have assumed ownership of Leeds given his history of repeated tax evasion and for his drug-cartel exploits in the U.S (alleged or otherwise), and its laughable that he would have passed the 'fit and proper' test.

And unlike Evans, Cellino actually went to prison for his crimes!

But there are lots of old hat "dinosaur" managers, still working and at a decent level. The younger generation see them as dinosaurs, the older generation see them as disciplinarian and have high expectations and old fashioned morals. Abit like in society. Alot of youngsters have no self discipline or respect for themselves, others or things in general.

You say about JED but he totally lost control of the squad and training was a joke for the last 6 months he was in charge (I use that term losely). That would never happen under Warnock, Evans, Ferguson etc al, the dinosaurs as you put it.

If you think SE is bad I assume you weren't around the club under Pulis, he could be fecking horrible, not just to players and staff but even fans if you caught him in the wrong mood or on a bad day.

Modern day footballer are a mollycodled bunch in general who need discipline but don't like being told what to do, some need an arm round the shoulder and some need a kick up the arse to get the best out of them. If these dinosaurs as you describe them didn't get the best out of or have the respect of the majority of footballers they manage they wouldn't last long in the game.

You seem a bit of a snowflake tbh. Football is a hard brutal business but maybe I'm a dinosaur.

And then there are the 'dinosaurs' like Louis Van Gaal who's direct, physical footballing philosophy, very much the antithesis of 'Total Voetball' still won Ajax their last Champions League.

Similar can be said for Elliot List. Not done much in his career either - and we got a fee for him!

No doubt BFSE make mistakes but what I do like about him is that he quickly moves to correct those mistakes (what you refer to as a merry-go-round). Previous Gills managers would keep the dead wood on the books.
That’s a bit harsh on Elliott List, current Player of the Year for Stevenage:
“List signed for League Two club Stevenage on 31 August 2019.[18] He joined the club for an undisclosed fee.[18] List made his Stevenage debut on the same day his signing was announced, playing the first 63 minutes in a 2–2 draw at home to Macclesfield Town.[19] Having scored a career-high eleven goals during the 2020–21 season, finishing as the club's top goalscorer for the season, List was named Stevenage's Player of the Year in May 2021.[20]

That’s a bit harsh on Elliott List, current Player of the Year for Stevenage:
“List signed for League Two club Stevenage on 31 August 2019.[18] He joined the club for an undisclosed fee.[18] List made his Stevenage debut on the same day his signing was announced, playing the first 63 minutes in a 2–2 draw at home to Macclesfield Town.[19] Having scored a career-high eleven goals during the 2020–21 season, finishing as the club's top goalscorer for the season, List was named Stevenage's Player of the Year in May 2021.[20]
Player of the year in a poor League 2 team (21st), played in their 5 0 defeat yesterday. Not having a pop and I liked the lad, but hardly tearing up trees since he left us.

Oh I’m far from being a snow flake Blue but you’re totally missing my point that we see in a changing world - it won’t be long before the lawyers get involved because if the way the world is changing / it’s happening at Olympic level and soon football will come under the cosh. No I wasn’t around supporting Gills under Pullis but where’s he now ? Don’t he end up having a fling with scalleys wife ?? Great example for a manager - come on how can you condone that if it’s true ?

Oh I’m far from being a snow flake Blue but you’re totally missing my point that we see in a changing world - it won’t be long before the lawyers get involved because if the way the world is changing / it’s happening at Olympic level and soon football will come under the cosh. No I wasn’t around supporting Gills under Pullis but where’s he now ? Don’t he end up having a fling with scalleys wife ?? Great example for a manager - come on how can you condone that if it’s true ?
And most big business are hard and brutal - you seem to think football is exempt and comes under a different set of rules ... this is changing

It’s not true, that’s why nobody needs to condone it .
Do yourself a favour mate and take another break.👍

Player of the year in a poor League 2 team (21st), played in their 5 0 defeat yesterday. Not having a pop and I liked the lad, but hardly tearing up trees since he left us.
I think he’s exactly the sort of player we could do with, pace and can carry the ball forward, always a useful sub to bring on against a tiring defence.
He Can score a goal too, remember his winner v Cardiff in the FA Cup.
None of the players who leave us are likely to tear up trees at a higher level. Look at how the much lauded Graham and Ogilvie, who we’d have kept if we could afford them, have struggled to get any first team league match time at all at their new clubs.

I though he had potential to go on to bigger things... ... it he’s stagnated at best.

I think you have a valid point there. In any other business, it simply would t be acceptable to swear at staff and sideline them with the hope that they’ll leave.

That’s not a dig at BFSE... ...it’s a comment about every football manager. I was watching Pep on a ‘behind the scenes’ documentary... ...and even he was effing and blinding at his players!

And most big business are hard and brutal - you seem to think football is exempt and comes under a different set of rules ... this is changing

Sorry Kettners but if you've been around any dressing rooms or training grounds at any level from non league up you'll have witnessed many an incident that is 'the norm/excepted' at most clubs that wouldn't be tolerated in a normal business environment.

You seem to think that there is no place for some old school coaches just because they don't follow the latest coaching manual or are PC enough. I've got coaching badges, does that mean I'd make a good league manager, not on your nelly and I'll tell you why, because whilst I may be blunt I'm knowhwere near blunt or ruthless enough. As Shoty said earlier kind and nice don't do very well in a dressing room environment.

Sorry Kettners but if you've been around any dressing rooms or training grounds at any level from non league up you'll have witnessed many an incident that is 'the norm/excepted' at most clubs that wouldn't be tolerated in a normal business environment.

You seem to think that there is no place for some old school coaches just because they don't follow the latest coaching manual or are PC enough. I've got coaching badges, does that mean I'd make a good league manager, not on your nelly and I'll tell you why, because whilst I may be blunt I'm knowhwere near blunt or ruthless enough. As Shoty said earlier kind and nice don't do very well in a dressing room environment.
The problem with these short texts / opinions is that they are sometimes taken out of context and too literal. My point was that Evans and his foul mouthed like are old school and dinosaurs of the game. There are many ‘mature’ mangers out there in league football That don’t resort to these poor moral displays. Of course there is language in dressing rooms of course we all have choice language in work departments but it’s becoming a very precarious environment if you choose to go down that line for the future. I don’t like Evans or his like - to me they have bullied there way around football. It might work for you but I don’t want to sit anywhere near that dugout and hear what comes out of his or Rayners mouth. There is a very toxic atmosphere at Gills both home and away and Evans is not a likeable bloke. Lovell was a hero and a gentleman and for me you can’t compare the two aspeople. Ok Evans record is better overall but time will tell. No doubt he will roll onto another club at some point and his vent his spleen at someone else no doubt

Lovell was a hero and a gentleman and for me you can’t compare the two as people.

Don't know either of them well enough to judge them as people. SE on the couple of occasions I've spoken to him at the training ground and at the first fans forums was nothing like the guy you see on the touchline.

I grew up watching SL and he is one of my hero's from my youth, a lovely bloke (even delivered newspapers to his house on my paper round as a kid) but his disinterested demeanour on the touchline for me was not what I want to see either as a fan or player. Whilst SE is the opposite end of the scale you know what he's thinking and let's.yiu know them.

Who would I want to play for out of the two personally? SE every day of the week. You may not like his methods but his track record is not bad for a dinosaur.

Kettners, mate, how many times are you gonna call Evans a "dinosaur" 🤦🏻‍♂️

Your posts are coming across snowflakey about Evans behaviour - he's actually behaved far better than I expected when he got appointed. I notice you fail to mention the community work Evans has got involved in or the thoughtful video message the club put out on their social media accounts of Evans showing respect to Plymouth fans after there was a bad incident there a day before we played them.

Let's have a look at past Gills managers - I'm sorry but Hess was hardly an angel (Gills legend, my favourite player) but he constantly wound up opponents as a player, we loved him for it & correct me if I'm wrong but used to give the ref stick in his post match interviews. We had Tony Pulis, top manager but horrible bloke. Then there's Stan Ternant who was a nutter but very popular despite relegation "Ronnie and Stanley are keeping us up" remember that song from the Rainham End? Oh yeah and Martin Allen was mad as a box of frogs but won us the league two title.

You don't have to go for a beer with Evans down the pub and be his best pal but just support him while he's Gillingham manager as he wants the same thing as us for Gills to be successful. Simple as that. UTG.

Kettners, mate, how many times are you gonna call Evans a "dinosaur" 🤦🏻‍♂️

Your posts are coming across snowflakey about Evans behaviour - he's actually behaved far better than I expected when he got appointed. I notice you fail to mention the community work Evans has got involved in or the thoughtful video message the club put out on their social media accounts of Evans showing respect to Plymouth fans after there was a bad incident there a day before we played them.

Let's have a look at past Gills managers - I'm sorry but Hess was hardly an angel (Gills legend, my favourite player) but he constantly wound up opponents as a player, we loved him for it & correct me if I'm wrong but used to give the ref stick in his post match interviews. We had Tony Pulis, top manager but horrible bloke. Then there's Stan Ternant who was a nutter but very popular despite relegation "Ronnie and Stanley are keeping us up" remember that song from the Rainham End? Oh yeah and Martin Allen was mad as a box of frogs but won us the league two title.

You don't have to go for a beer with Evans down the pub and be his best pal but just support him while he's Gillingham manager as he wants the same thing as us for Gills to be successful. Simple as that. UTG.
Possibly rules out Adam Barrett ever being a top manager a altogether great bloke. I will never forget him coming to my defence when Martin Allen was out of order after I had gone to the training ground to thank the players for their efforts.It was just after we won promotion or the title.