Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town | Page 12 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town

R Shropshire commentators thought the match a good advert for L1 and Shrews best away performance. A fair few on here have said how poor or at best average the match was.

I think that indicates how far we've come and how high our expectations now are. That's not a criticism, just a statement of where we now are, though I agree booing a mid table L1 side for a home draw is a bit much.

If I were the great Brian Moore on the Big Match Revisited and was summing up the game today I'd call it a "low key affair".

First 10 mins were a bit meh as both teams had a number of passes go astray- a bit stop start. In fact the whole first half felt disjointed (not just the delay in game for Jackson's injury). Still 1-0 up at half time was fair. Shrewsbury didn't look very good at all.

Second half was much more balanced- their aerial threat into our box posed us problems all second half.

Similar to the Wednesday game to be honest- two average teams playing an average game which left us 12th (bang average) going into a 3 week league break.
Not a disaster, not awful or dire- not scintillating or joyful.

Nlundulu was active, created problems and had our best chance in the first half through one on one with their keeper. He scores and different game. But he's young and older players than him have missed one on one.

Poole and Maguire had decent games going forward but the whole back four second half looked very uneasy with the "lob" throw in which kept coming in- as MA said after the game, if we know what problems that causes us, don't head it out for a throw, just put it back into midfield and battle it out there.

I'm not sure any player had a mare but not too many were 8/10 either.

Fair result for two teams not on their uppers.

17 attempts on goal for us, 7 on target. We went forward with intent today in the main (and had the ball in the net for a second goal ruled offside).

Finally, for those who booed at the end, go find someone else to follow.

Surely no one was booing??

Been a decent October. I actually believe we are overachieving with what we have and had available all season.

At half time we were 8th in the table, do we look at top 8 side probably not? Are we far off a top 8 side? Probably not with 3 additions in forward/wide areas.

Feel like I keep repeating myself, but if we are in this position 31st December. We will challenge for the playoffs.

Strewth! How do you people remember these facts? I don't even remember Brown being sent off or playing Torquay or anything.
Last week is a struggle to recall...
Ah, well, as you've asked...

The Monday after the game I got a phone call at work and the guy on the end of the phone knew I was a Lincoln fan and asked how the game was. I told him we had a dodgy ref who, in my opinion, wrongly sent Nat Brown off. After another few seconds of slagging him off for other incidents, the caller happened to mention he was the ref in question. I didn't recognise him at the game because he wasn't wearing his glasses!

He was so adamant he made the right call that he drove to my office during his lunch hour (his office was only a few minutes drive away), armed with the match DVD he'd been sent to watch his own performance back, made me watch the incident back on my computer and talked me through his thinking behind the decision.

We agreed to disagree, or rather I agreed to disagree...

Once we get to January it will be different beer. Expect 3 in and perhaps 1 out is my guess.
Much needed, especially some with the desire to get in and around the box!
One out, maybe not in January, but I don't see Adelakun seeing out his contract unless it's one year.

Dull as usual when the opponents play 3-5-2 and press high.
Just need to be braver.
We just seem to get dragged down.

Didn’t hear any booing personally, although if the bloke sat behind me continues to shout forward every single time we get on the ball I might be looking for a new place to sit.
Bit of an average game, think Jackson was more suited to the physical battle so was a miss when he was forced to go off. And to be fair Shrewsbury are the type of team who we have complained a few times we haven’t been able to cope with so a draw was some kind of improvement .
Couldn’t help think about when we played them at Wembley and how the playing styles have reversed .

Back home. Bit of a frustrating watch today. It didn't quite click on the pitch especially in the second half. I think that the injury to Jackson disrupted the whole game plan today. I do wonder if the players were concerned about how he was being taken to hospital and as a consequence their minds weren't quite there. There were quite a few poor decisions made in that second half.

A game we should have won, but at least didn't lose

Ah, well, as you've asked...

The Monday after the game I got a phone call at work and the guy on the end of the phone knew I was a Lincoln fan and asked how the game was. I told him we had a dodgy ref who, in my opinion, wrongly sent Nat Brown off. After another few seconds of slagging him off for other incidents, the caller happened to mention he was the ref in question. I didn't recognise him at the game because he wasn't wearing his glasses!

He was so adamant he made the right call that he drove to my office during his lunch hour (his office was only a few minutes drive away), armed with the match DVD he'd been sent to watch his own performance back, made me watch the incident back on my computer and talked me through his thinking behind the decision.

We agreed to disagree, or rather I agreed to disagree...

Impressive stuff 😀😀

I thought we really missed Jackson and Bishop 2nd half. Very unlucky again with our injuries.
Jackson's a battler and our best header of the ball and Bishop gives our midfield it's drive and guile. Impossible to prove, of course, but I don't think their goalscorer gets a free run in our box if Jacksons still on the pitch. Here's hoping the 3 week break from league matches gives them both time to get back, goodness knows we need them!

We’re suffering from having a couple of children in key areas. Fiorini hasn’t yet made the step up from U21, non-contact football to dealing with being bullied by less talented grown-ups and Griffiths is a liability until he learns that shot-stopping is a given for a goalkeeper at every level from Sunday League up, but it’s box domination and distribution that marks out the good ones. Both may make it as they mature, but I wish they’d do it a bit more quickly.

I thouht N'dululu had a good game and is getting better at playing Hoppers role..
But both Fullbacks seem to want to play the ball backwards too much.
But everything considered a points a point & they are all nearer a step to the top section of the table

Last edited:
We’re suffering from having a couple of children in key areas. Fiorini hasn’t yet made the step up from U21, non-contact football to dealing with being bullied by less talented grown-ups and Griffiths is a liability until he learns that shot-stopping is a given for a goalkeeper at every level from Sunday League up, but it’s box domination and distribution that marks out the good ones. Both may make it as they mature, but I wish they’d do it a bit more quickly.

"Griffiths is a liability" is probably the most clueless post I have seen on this forum for months.

Really does reflect the adage- put 5 football fans in a room and you'll get 6 opinions.

We're suffering?I think you will find that Premier league fans are the only ones that suffer.

Agree with your comments