Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town | Page 11 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Shrewsbury Town

Hortin was even poorer than usual today. More interested in the cricket, couldn't identify Jackson or Bishop as injured players in the first half, did not know we are allowed 5 subs now, and then got the score wrong at the end.

Nearly as bad a performance as some of our midfield.

I don't listen anymore, the last straw for me was music in a sports show the other week. Although City have gone up a couple of leagues, there still remains a little "non league" in certain areas, which is out of City's control.

First and foremost, I hope Jackson and Teddy are not in too bad shape. Another case of bad luck.

Another frustrating game which summarises our season really. At times we looked good, but we are flawed in a few key areas.

Up to our goal I thought we were pretty decent. The goal was a superb move and finish by Mcgrandles who was easily man of the match. Unfortunately, the time up to half time and the 15 minutes after half time was torrid. After going behind Shrewsbury did what ever team that causes us problems do... stand up the pitch and press high. We were terrible and they smelt blood, thankfully after they scored they went back to being deep again.

We are not comfortable defending balls in the box. I can't understand it because the defence individually are decent in the air, but collectively we are vulnerable to balls in the box. We could not deal with their corners and long throws. Otherwise Shrewsbury were very limited.

Midfield (Mcgrandles apart) were not offering enough, too lightweight and limited movement.

Play was very laboured and predictable. For the majority of the game Shrewsbury sat deep and we didn't counter fast enough. Most attacks we allowed them to set up and organise thier defence making them hard to break down. We aren't the fastest team and don't have a player to take on a man.

Execution and decision making in the final third cost us.

Finally consistency! We have the makings of a good team and have shown signs of real promise but it constantly feels like 3 steps forward 2 back. N'Lundulu was a handful and Sanders must be banging on the door for a start. Was good to see Draper and would like to see him get more minutes.

We weren't awful, and we were far from great. We are frustrating.

Last edited:
First and foremost, I hope Jackson and Teddy are not in too bad shape. Another case of bad luck.

Another frustrating game which summarises our season really. At times we looked good, but we are flawed in a few key areas.

Up to our goal I thought we were pretty decent. The goal was a superb move and finish by Mcgrandles who was easily man of the match. Unfortunately, the time up to half time and the 15 minutes after half time was torrid. After going behind Shrewsbury did what ever team that causes us problems do... stand up the pitch and press high. We were terrible and they smelt blood, thankfully after they scored they went back to being deep again.

We are not comfortable defending balls in the box. I can't understand it because the defence individually are decent in the air, but collectively we are vulnerable to balls in the box. We could not deal with their corners and long throws. Otherwise Shrewsbury were very limited.

Midfield (Mcgrandles apart) were not offering enough, too lightweight and limited movement.

Play was very laboured and predictable. For the majority of the game Shrewsbury sat deep and we didn't counter fast enough. Most attacks we allowed them to set up and organise thier defence making them hard to break down. We aren't the fastest team and don't have a player to take on a man.

Finally execution and decision making in the final third cost us.

Finally consistency! We have the makings of a good team and have shown signs of real promise but it constantly feels like 3 steps forward 2 back. N'Lundulu was a handful and Sanders must be banging on the door for a start. Was good to see Draper and would like to see him get more minutes.

We weren't awful, and we were far from great. We are frustrating.
Agree about the midfield Fiorini to lightweight, and what Sorensen gives to the team is beyond me, he has 1 gear and that’s reverse. Obviously shows something on the training ground.

We were good but only until we scored. We should have been 2 or 3 up by that time with the game wrapped up.
After that for some reason we were poor. Bad goal to concede. It's hard to enjoy our home games at the moment.
Point is better than nothing I guess.

If I were the great Brian Moore on the Big Match Revisited and was summing up the game today I'd call it a "low key affair".

First 10 mins were a bit meh as both teams had a number of passes go astray- a bit stop start. In fact the whole first half felt disjointed (not just the delay in game for Jackson's injury). Still 1-0 up at half time was fair. Shrewsbury didn't look very good at all.

Second half was much more balanced- their aerial threat into our box posed us problems all second half.

Similar to the Wednesday game to be honest- two average teams playing an average game which left us 12th (bang average) going into a 3 week league break.
Not a disaster, not awful or dire- not scintillating or joyful.

Nlundulu was active, created problems and had our best chance in the first half through one on one with their keeper. He scores and different game. But he's young and older players than him have missed one on one.

Poole and Maguire had decent games going forward but the whole back four second half looked very uneasy with the "lob" throw in which kept coming in- as MA said after the game, if we know what problems that causes us, don't head it out for a throw, just put it back into midfield and battle it out there.

I'm not sure any player had a mare but not too many were 8/10 either.

Fair result for two teams not on their uppers.

17 attempts on goal for us, 7 on target. We went forward with intent today in the main (and had the ball in the net for a second goal ruled offside).

Finally, for those who booed at the end, go find someone else to follow.

I agree also about the midfield being too lightweight. I really don't think Fiorini and Sorensen should play at the same time.

As regards high balls into the box, we are allowing way too many crosses to start with. Despite the Shrews looking dangerous from long throws and corners, we made little attempt to stop giving them away.

For all Josh's saves, he is very poor at coming off his line, which does not help at all when defending balls into the box.

Not at our best today but we got a point. In the last game or two we seemed to have tightened up in midfield and stopped the opposition running through unchallenged. The problem at the minute is we do not seem to be able to defend corners, free kicks or long throws. What the answer to that is for MA to sort. Enjoying the season so far but there is room for improvement

If I were the great Brian Moore on the Big Match Revisited and was summing up the game today I'd call it a "low key affair".

First 10 mins were a bit meh as both teams had a number of passes go astray- a bit stop start. In fact the whole first half felt disjointed (not just the delay in game for Jackson's injury). Still 1-0 up at half time was fair. Shrewsbury didn't look very good at all.

Second half was much more balanced- their aerial threat into our box posed us problems all second half.

Similar to the Wednesday game to be honest- two average teams playing an average game which left us 12th (bang average) going into a 3 week league break.
Not a disaster, not awful or dire- not scintillating or joyful.

Nlundulu was active, created problems and had our best chance in the first half through one on one with their keeper. He scores and different game. But he's young and older players than him have missed one on one.

Poole and Maguire had decent games going forward but the whole back four second half looked very uneasy with the "lob" throw in which kept coming in- as MA said after the game, if we know what problems that causes us, don't head it out for a throw, just put it back into midfield and battle it out there.

I'm not sure any player had a mare but not too many were 8/10 either.

Fair result for two teams not on their uppers.

17 attempts on goal for us, 7 on target. We went forward with intent today in the main (and had the ball in the net for a second goal ruled offside).

Finally, for those who booed at the end, go find someone else to follow.

Booing ! Mid table in league one what is not to like. Unbelievable !

Well, that's two games in a week where could have been 3 goals up at half time. Wednesday last Saturday and today. Only a short while ago some fans were bemoaning our lack of chances, at least we're making chances now and it's only a matter of time before we put more of them away. We're going in the right direction.