Danny Cowley | Vital Football

Danny Cowley

shadydave

Vital Youth Team
Is going through a tough time with Portsmouth, below us in the table now.

Just wondering what people make of this? Anyone in the know regarding the situation down there? He'll clearly be highly respected here long term for what he achieved with us, but since leaving us it's been an 'interesting' time for them.... (my understanding is that their PPG at Huddersfield was actually quite good, although their fans weren't sorry to see them leave.)

Is their style of football becoming quickly out of date? Maybe their management style doesn't wash well with higher league players?

Nothing but fond admiration for Danny and Nicky. What a fantastic job they did here with the football club and unifying the City. They felt like family members at the time.

You almost sense a Graham Westley kind of scenario. (apart from being far more likeable people). In the respect that the achievements set out here haven’t been replicated elsewhere.

They did have an identity of play, a fast paced front foot style of football. They have tried to deviate away from that by playing more football. Ultimately if that isn’t in your nature, you end up playing more football but more often than not between your centre halves and back four. But as we have witnessed bar the odd exceptions the higher you go, the better and more technical the games became.

The question will be can they adapt, ultimately if it doesn’t improve at Pompey. Then you have to look lower League 1/League 2 for your next job and effectively start again.

Is going through a tough time with Portsmouth, below us in the table now.

Just wondering what people make of this? Anyone in the know regarding the situation down there? He'll clearly be highly respected here long term for what he achieved with us, but since leaving us it's been an 'interesting' time for them.... (my understanding is that their PPG at Huddersfield was actually quite good, although their fans weren't sorry to see them leave.)

Is their style of football becoming quickly out of date? Maybe their management style doesn't wash well with higher league players?
Are you asking us to do your 'homework/dissertation' for you?

More the result of significant financial measures than anything else. Portsmouth were losing £700,000 per month last season and slashed their playing budget for this year. Players left in search of bigger wages and DC had to find cheaper replacements. He also lost striker Jayden Reid for the season seven minutes into his debut in pre-season. Off the field they are redeveloping and modernising Fratton Park at a cost of £10 million. This season always looked like treading water for now.

They did have an identity of play, a fast paced front foot style of football..

I can't agree with that, an issue for them is that they have no identifable style, they are an entirely pragmatic duo. They have more in common with the Mourinho school of thought, than managers like Guardiola, Klopp, Pocchetino etc, where you know exactly what you're going to get - or right at the other end of the spectrum, Pulis and McCarthy.

At least with Appleton it's obvious what the plan is, whether people like that or not.

I said on another thread that I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up back here sooner rather than later, in a kind of Nathan-Jones-at-Luton scenario where you have everyone on board from the start if it hasn't worked out as you expected at bigger clubs where you've been subjected to the usual barbs about background, tactical naivety and being out of your depth - all the usual football fans cliches.

More the result of significant financial measures than anything else. Portsmouth were losing £700,000 per month last season and slashed their playing budget for this year. Players left in search of bigger wages and DC had to find cheaper replacements. He also lost striker Jayden Reid for the season seven minutes into his debut in pre-season. Off the field they are redeveloping and modernising Fratton Park at a cost of £10 million. This season always looked like treading water for now.

But sadly no Manager is given any time to consolidate and build a side over a few transfer windows, it all has to be done yesterday - otherwise it’s an OUTRAGE!!!!!

Hope we do see them back at Lincoln one day.
But think they'll have a couple more clubs first and we'll have a couple more managers.
But who knows...they might never be back or else back here by Christmas!
All alternate universes are plausible!!
Can’t understand why it’s not going them at Portsmouth with the players and money they have got

Hope we do see them back at Lincoln one day.
But think they'll have a couple more clubs first and we'll have a couple more managers.
But who knows...they might never be back or else back here by Christmas!
All alternate universes are plausible!!
I was hoping to see them next month with Pompey at the Bank ….not sure it’ll happen though.

I can't agree with that, an issue for them is that they have no identifable style, they are an entirely pragmatic duo. They have more in common with the Mourinho school of thought, than managers like Guardiola, Klopp, Pocchetino etc, where you know exactly what you're going to get - or right at the other end of the spectrum, Pulis and McCarthy.

At least with Appleton it's obvious what the plan is, whether people like that or not.

I said on another thread that I wouldn't be surprised to see them end up back here sooner rather than later, in a kind of Nathan-Jones-at-Luton scenario where you have everyone on board from the start if it hasn't worked out as you expected at bigger clubs where you've been subjected to the usual barbs about background, tactical naivety and being out of your depth - all the usual football fans cliches.

Obvious to the opposition as well, they know exactly what we're going to do and how to stop it. Nothing wrong with adapting your approach for a different challenge.

Obvious to the opposition as well, they know exactly what we're going to do and how to stop it. Nothing wrong with adapting your approach for a different challenge.
…providing that you have recruited the calibre of player whom can adapt to a new play book for each match and remain effective - that needs the right players and a settled squad that know each other.

…providing that you have recruited the calibre of player whom can adapt to a new play book for each match and remain effective - that needs the right players and a settled squad that know each other.

Or just being willing to tweak the formation slightly, or put away a certain part of your game for 15 minutes while you're under pressure. Doesn't need to major changes, just adapting to what you see, or at least trying to