United 1 Derby 0 - report/pod | Vital Football

United 1 Derby 0 - report/pod

Deadbat_DB

Vital Squad Member
Podcast links and report below…

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0ooP3gXk3XIZGBMnTm42DD

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/id1508158343?i=1000536595858

After losing points with last minute goals at the Lane this season, it was United’s turn to score late and Billy Sharp’s late penalty saw the home side get the vital three points. Facing 10 men for over half an hour after Kelle Roos’ dismissal, the Rams restricted United to few chances of note and looked like they had done enough to get a point. However, Curtis Davies’ moment of madness proved to the difference but even after Sharp’s penalty, Tom Lawrence hit the post in stoppage time, with virtually the last kick. Despite having a 12-point deduction to send them into the relegation places after a reasonable start to the season, County showed real fight and resolve in the game and arguably had the best chances, hitting the bar and post and forcing Olsen into more saves than his counterparts, Roos and Allsop. United completely dominated the possession and the 2nd half was a one-way contest after a largely even first half and finally the pressure told. United were not totally convincing but will be glad to keep the recent unbeaten run going and now have won 3, drew 2 in the last 5 games.

United made two chances from the side that won at Hull with Norwood and Ndiaye in for Hourihane and Brewster from the start. Sander Berge was not deemed fit enough to be in the match day squad but Enda Stevens was back involved in the league for the first time this season.

Derby included two former Blades from the start with Phil Jagielka in particular getting a standing ovation, and he was joined in the side by Ravel Morrison. George Baldock’s brother Sam was also involved with Richard Stearman on the bench. It had been a really difficult period for Derby and with the points deduction confirmed this week and further uncertainty around the future behind the scenes, it was a positive that they were backed by over 2,000 fans at the Lane.

The game began with a slow pace and both teams sat off but equally both teams were ponderous in their attacks. Untied were too slow to move it and it became a scrappy contest very early on. Fleck did have a low shot that Roos held easily before soon after a lovely ball from Baldock saw the offside trap beaten but after superb control, Sharp could then only blaze over, after doing the more difficult part.

Derby responded well and had a spell of play that led to a corner and from it, Jagielka sent a looping header that bounced off the bar before Olsen did well to save from Lawrence. The ball ricocheted around before United cleared. Gibbs White had not really been in the game and his frustration saw him clash with Shinnie and both ended up in the book.

United started to have more of the ball but the build up continued to be slow and laboured and Ndiaye and Gibbs White were not as impactful as they had been in recent home games. Derby actually had created more clear chances and after an effort from Baldock flashed wide, another opportunity saw Olsen push away a shot from Shinnie. The Blades had been pushed back and were struggling to create too much although Sharp mistimed his header from a Baldock cross before a clumsy foul from Egan saw Lawrence have a good free kick opening from 25 yards but he hit the wall.

Right on half time, Sharp got down the left and chipped over but Ndiaye could not repeat his headed goal against Peterborough and mistimed his jump and as the ball dropped, Osborn fell under a challenge but the appeals for a penalty seemed rather desperate as Derby cleared.

The second half saw the Blades dictate the play with Norwood’s impressive angles passes setting both Baldock and Osborn into good areas but two crosses came in and no one could get on the end of it. Gibbs White and Ndiaye started to get more involved and some decent combination play nearly led to a chance. Just before the hour mark, a lovely ball from Norwood saw Sharp beat the offside trap and knocked the ball past Roos, who seemed to completely take him out. The ball ran loose and Osborn eventually knocked it into the net but the referee’s whistle had gone long before this, prompting some fans to question if he could have waited perhaps? After a fair bit of deliberation, the inevitable red card came out. The keeper was clearly the last man and the only defence against him being dismissed could be that Sharp was going slightly wide but I am not sure many could argue with the decision – it seemed very cynical and crude and a poor decision to be so far out, when the striker still was a long way from goal.

Derby had been in the middle of making a change anyway and still made this substitution with Morrison coming off for Knight and then Sibley having to be the man sacrificed for sub keeper Allsop. The free kick was taken from Gibbs White, but like Lawrence in the first half, he clipped the wall and it was cleared. United were now totally on top and Norwood continued to combine with Baldock but Gibbs White’s influence was growing. Still for all the possession, United were not creating clear chances although they won several corners and saw numerous crosses going into the box but Davies and Jagielka stood firm.

Norwood came off for McBurnie as United maybe looked to go direct but still seemed a surprise that the day’s outstanding player departed. Jozwiak came on for Baldock as Derby were now fully in defence mode and sitting back trying to frustrate. Stevens replaced Norrington Davies and the crosses continued to reign in but Derby were proving resolute and were sticking all 9 outfield players behind the ball.

Ndiaye was blocked out as the ball would not sit and then Baldock’s cross evaded everyone. It was one way pressure completely now but a rare break saw Lawrence actually be the first player on either side to force a save as Olsen gathered at the second attempt, albeit unconvincingly. Baldock was playing as a right winger now and a great cross should have seen Ndiaye score but his header was wide when he was completely unmarked. The same player came off for Hourihane as the game entered the final 10 minutes.

McBurnie and Sharp could not get on the end of two crosses before Gibbs White’s skill was read and Derby cleared. The game went into the final minute and a cross from Hourihane came into the box and inexplicably Davies handled as the heads went up. It was absolute idiocy from an experienced centre back. SHARP was undeterred from his miss last week and smashed it straight down the middle at the Kop End. After drawing the jeers from the away fans, Sharp once again rammed it down opponent fans throats and shushed them several times as he jogged back to half way.

There was 5 minutes of stoppage time accrued to be played and this was signalled as soon as Derby kicked off. They sent Davies up top and tried to battle onto his flick ons. United seemed to have stood firm but after another silly late free kick giveaway, this time from McBurnie, Derby launched it forward and Davies outjumped his namesake and Lawrence got away from Egan and was in on goal as once again United were wide open somehow when protecting a lead. However, the Derby man’s shot may have deflected off Egan and onto the base of Olsen’s left-hand post and came out. Stevens cleared the ball away and it was not long after the final whistle went. United had nearly been denied in stoppage time again but this time they held out and kept their first clean sheet at home all season.

United - In the end United will be glad of the three points and the victory was maybe better than the performance which although saw us dominate the ball, we did not do enough in the final third probably. There were some decent things, but it was all a bit slow and laboured and we did not move it quick enough or test them enough. It seemed like it was going to just limp to a boring 0-0 draw as we did not maybe show the urgency or tempo all game to hurt them.

Derby actually hit the post/bar and Olsen made 2 or 3 decent, if expected saves. This was more than their keepers made. We got into great areas but time after time we failed to have the quality, the cross or anyone find composure when it mattered. We did not have many efforts on goal but Ndiaye x 2, Sharp x 2, Stevens and a few others had decent to good chances we did not really get close when we should have. Derby actually defended pretty well and battled hard. They were unfortunate not to take anything from the game and were a tad unfortunate at the death when it seemed to nick Egan, the shot, or would have been 1-1 and we had the post to thank. United did not get their flair players into the game as they have done in recent home games and Ndiaye and Gibbs White were ineffective for long spells.

The first half was quite even actually and after Sharp missed, they grew into it and had chances at goal and the one that hit the bar from Jags and the rebound was saved. They had another one go just wide too. We then had Ndiaye have a header where it got blocked off but overall, 0-0 was about right. We took too long to move it and Gibbs White/Ndiaye were not influential enough as things did not quite come off – added to Sharp missing a few decent chances too.

After the break we completely dominated the game and had so much possession. They sat further and further back and we had countless crossing chances but they dealt with us fairly well and it never quite happened with too much play going wide rather than down the middle. The red card of course gave us a man advantage but actually we had been dominating up to that point anyway. I just felt we lacked composure, even though we had upped the tempo. Baldock actually put some decent balls in and Ndiaye missed a few and then we put McBurnie on and tried to go more direct. I felt Norwood had been controlling the game so this was a bit harsh maybe the change but can see we could gamble with another attacker at this point. We kept plugging away but they had a chance on the break and at this point I was not convinced we had done enough to get an opportunity. The incoming keeper was tested no more than the outgoing one. Then the late cross and a moment of madness and we have a penalty. Sharp showed a lot of balls to convert after missing last week and that seemed to be it. Of course, this is United and the penchant for late goals being conceded at home nearly happened again but luckily Lawrence’s shot (maybe off Egan ) hit the post. Why we had two on two at the back was incredible for this last chance? We needed to have men on the cover but it was a routine free kick forward and a header won and they were in. Lucky let off really.

We take the three points and are now sitting right in the middle. We have two very different away games but Boro are struggling at the moment and seems Warnock is under a bit of pressure. We need to go there and defend properly versus more big players that will put us under pressure and hopefully some of the quality the other way can cause them problems. We then had a tough game at Bournemouth. If we can get 3-4 points from the next two that would be great. 6 and we would be firmly ensconced in the playoffs. Failure to win one of them and we are back down to the bottom 7 or 8 probably. So, it is shaping up to be a big week but we have won back-to-back games and that is pleasing. It was not convincing but it is just important to get three points. Not sure any individuals were brilliant and a lot of players were average and we lacked the fluency and tempo we need but at least we somehow kept a clean sheet – although not sure how.

Ratings:

Olsen 6/10 – He made a save after the one looped on the bar but it was straight at him and then 2nd half saw another shot bounced off him and he gathered. On the last-minute chance, he seemed to show a lot of his goal. Not been totally convincing in the games I have seen to me. He was ok and did not make any big errors really but his handling and command

Baldock 7/10 – One of our better players today and maybe the next best after Norwood. Defensively did what he had to but actually did some much better things going forward. One good pass to Sharp early on and he put a few good crosses in too and actually tried to pick someone out (Ndiaye 2nd half). He still wasted or overhit a few but he was constantly down that flank and 2nd half was maybe our main threat and kept trying to find space and openings. Whatever you think of his final bits of his play, his effort, determination and boundless energy are fantastic qualities and he keeps popping up in great areas giving us that outlet.

Norrington Davies 5.5/10 – Again I thought he was one of our weaker players. People may think I am picking on him, but I am simply not convinced by him at all. He started the game with two poor touches and had to get back and recover his own mistake. He gives his man way too much time and seems to lack judgement in where he needs to be positionally. Going forward he does gallop into good positions but only recall one decent cross coming in and most of the time he hit the first man or overplayed it. I must admit I expected much better after some of the reports on loan but I would have Stevens back in now who albeit with poor form for a season or so, still at this level will probably be much superior both defensively and attacking wise.

Davies 7/10 – Overall thought he was decent today and showed some decent interceptions and came out from the back well showing his touch/quality on the ball. Like others, I felt he took too many touches at times to work it out of his feet and find a teammate but I also thought he played some decent balls too. Not sure he was worried much defensively but lost that last header to Davies that could have been costly and showed he is quite weak physically/aerially.

Egan 6.5/10 – He was ok but again too many balls into our box saw them win the headers or loose stuff. Teams have way too many chances going in, especially at home in games. He also took way too long to do basic passes and move it on. He defended ok I suppose with no clear errors but do think we are soft and too susceptible to the ball into the box still. Derby had little of the play but still created and had as many if not better chances. At the end he lost his man but at least got back to seemingly get a foot in.

Norwood 8/10 – I thought he was excellent today and some of his passing was superb. He played it quicker and drilled passes right and left at pace that got us moving. He was the one player who upped the tempo. He controlled the game and was easily the best midfielder on the park. His pass to Sharp was superb for the red card. Seemed to want to make the position his after Hourihane had played last week. I was surprised he came off actually as he was dictating the game at this point even if we were not having tons of chances.

Fleck 6/10 – After some excellent games, I thought he was quieter today. He was not awful but did not get involved as much as he had done and needed to influence the game more. One shot early on and one run down the left but thought he looked a bit laboured at times. Like the rest of the team, he did get on the ball a lot more second half and started to play quicker. I do think he was not as involved or effective as maybe Norwood or Osborn though out of the midfielders. Some awful floated corners too.

Osborn 7/10 – Another steady to decent game. He was always looking to get on it and moved it quicker than many others. Tried to get crosses in when he could and link but he also maybe left Norrington Davies exposed a few times with 2 on 1’s. After the break he was in some excellent positions and put a few good crosses in and kept us moving forward when he could. Love his energy and showed some decent quality at times but again like others struggled to find that one killer ball.

Gibbs White 6/10 – Not his game really today and his weakest Blades game so far. His touch was off and he did not really get into it at all first half and then got frustrated and got booked. It seemed to shoot off him too much and his control was not there. He kept trying but they also got tight on him knowing he was the danger man. Second half he was better but again not sure anything came from his play but at least started to get on it more and combine with others. Had a few bits of play that nearly came off and at least started to drive at defenders.

Ndiaye 5/10 – Poorest he has been really. A few neat flicks but not in the game much at all first half and it seemed to pass him by. He then had a chance but missed his header. 2nd half got a bit more involved but got blocked out on one opportunity and then badly missed another header. Did show a bit more for it but also gave it away a few times too and overall, he was not a factor. Came off before the end and I would have taken him off for McBurnie rather than Norwood personally but suppose Slav wanted another forward who could use pace/trickery to create.

Sharp 7/10 – He actually missed a good chance by his standards as he beat the offside trap, pulled down a great piece of control but blazed over. He never normally misses the target so this was a surprise. He also mistimed his jump for a header but was in good areas first half even if he did not finish. Kept plugging away and still looked our most dangerous strikers. A few crosses did not quite sit but then at the end he has the bottle to score the late penalty and the winner.

Subs –

McBurnie 5/10 – Not convincing when he came on and not sure we looked anymore like scoring than before. Not sure I saw him link much but he was a nuisance factor I suppose and the late penalty saw him challenge for the hand ball. Annoyingly he gave away two stupid free kicks (one led to the late chance) where he is stupidly barging into men.

Stevens – Some fresh legs down the left and did get into some good positions but a horrible wayward finish when well placed. Expect him to start now though.

Hourihane – Surprised Norwood got the nod after he began last week but seems with a lot of games he is rotating his squad. Came on and had a corner instantly and they looked a bit more dangerous than we had shown.

Jokanovic 7/10 – It’s a win. He looked very frustrated with the speed of our play and was urging us to play it quicker and also looked annoyed with some of the decisions we made in shooting when we had overloads (Baldock for instance). His subs were a bit odd as Norwood was playing well and I think Ndiaye had run his race too long before he did come off. The Stevens sub was fine as we were attacking down the wings as they bottled up the middle. Not sure the subs influenced the late goal or us winning the game. Expect us to keep rotating this week. Would not be shocked if McBurnie starts at Boro and maybe Berge comes in too if fit.

Derby – I tipped them to do down as many others did knowing a points deduction was looming amidst the mess off the field. At first, they struggled to even get a squad together but were allowed signings with a few former Blades coming on of course. They started the season with some decent results and picked up a few wins but then the inevitable blow in the week came. I think Rooney was hugely out of his depth last season and lucky to get and stay in a decent job to say he had no experience. However, he has done well this season and shown some fight when he could have walked away. His interviews have been really good in that he is not wanting to leave and shown some fight and maybe endured him to the County fans who also thought he was out of his depth. They seem to have come together and he has signed some experience to compliment a few decent young players. I still expect them to struggle but actually would not be shocked to see them get out of it as they are some poor sides like Peterborough and Hull, as we can testify.

Today they had a go and actually had some good chances and hit the bar/post. First half they were well in it and had that flurry of chances but then as the game went on, sat further and further back and invited pressure all 2nd half. I felt they did not try and come out and even before the red card had started to defend deeper and deeper. They will say we did not test them but if you concede possession and defend with numbers, they will always be a chance. They made two stupid mistakes with the red mist from the keeper and then Davies and this decided a game they maybe could and should have nicked a point. They still had a late chance at the end.

They battled hard and defended and did restrict us on chances. They did not look a beleaguered side that is in crisis (at least off the pitch) but whether they can keep that fight up if they become marooned at the bottom (due to the deduction). Also, if players do not get paid and/or the crisis continues off the field, Rooney may walk way despite his fight and desire to keep going.

Opponent Man of the Match – I thought the two centre backs defended really well till the late Davies moment of madness. Jags was solid and battled hard. The rest of the team saw Lawrence have a few chances but his missed the few he had.

Opponent Weak link – Roos. Stupidity and made sure a tough 2nd half became even tougher. Wild and reckless really and no need to go charging out. Morrison barely touched the ball to be honest in terms of assessing the other Blades player and was rightly taken off.

Referee/Officials – David Webb. Another ref that was a bit annoying with some odd decisions and he kept stopping things to talk to players but booked others like the Shinnie-Gibbs White one with more alacrity. We noticed him way too much in a nothing sort of game. Rightly waved away a few penalty appeals (disappointing in Gibbs White who seemed to dive) for us but the red card I think he got right. Sharp may not have got there but the keeper is last man and he has clattered him. Really clumsy. The penalty also was an easy decision and he had no option really.

Crowd / Match Day experience – Derby fans were excellent and considering the cost of tickets, to tell 2,000 and sing all game after the week they have had was very impressive. They were good in the cup too. Although they will one day learn their lesson about winding up Sharp maybe! He seems to always score against them after they mock him! I felt United fans were really quiet and subdued today. It was a big crowd but the only real noise seemed to come from the away fans. They tried to encourage and support but felt there was not the volume we normally hear and kind of mirrored the team for a flat effort.

Was Norwoods best game for us in a long time
But, there didn’t seem no urgency today, just happy to play it sideways and backwards, the crowd was subdued, but they can blame the game for that, the sending off got them going,
Still, we just about deserved the win
And, well done to Derby fans, turning up and making it lively!!!

I felt United fans were really quiet and subdued today. It was a big crowd but the only real noise seemed to come from the away fans. They tried to encourage and support but felt there was not the volume we normally hear and kind of mirrored the team for a flat effort.

Our home support is a big, big problem.

It has become absolutely pathetic.

Won't be long till the back of the Kop are all sat down.

I noticed the imbecile of an interviewer went fishing for a "the fans were great line" out of Billy with a question about the noise from the home support "especially after the penalty went in". Well, yeah, the home crowd celebrated a late winner a bit. Fuck me what a muppet :ROFLMAO:

Thankfully Billy didn't humour him and went on to say nothing about the home support.

Although I wish he'd be critical. He's got the right to be. No one would slag him off if he did. But Billy just plays it safe all the time as captain doesn't he.

Generally agree just a couple of minor disagreements thought baldock could have been better the amount of times he refuses opportunities to put the ball in is getting ridiculous he needs to watch Osborn who was much better than your score imo too many below par today as I said on the opinions thread so I’ll leave it there still not convinced with the keeper doesn’t appear able to collect balls at him one bounced off back into the area well away from him got lucky no derby player was near and it’s happening every game still
anybody any idea why Davies wasn’t at least booked for the handball :shrug:

Just seen Billy’s match reaction on YouTube , about the game and the Derby Fans being disrespectful
To be honest, from the Westfield corner, couldn’t hear what they were singing

Apparently it was a song where the last line is "Billy Sharp is a sex offender".

And apparently we now sing the same about Barry Bannan. Which shows a truly pathetic level of obsession.

Jags must have shown him how to deal with a punt into the box zero danger and the player raises an arm. Sometimes you wonder what goes through footballers brains bizarre.