Cheltenham | Page 2 | Vital Football

Cheltenham

I agree LMB but it looked to me (I may be mistaken) that he picked up a knock mid way through second half but limped through to the end. Hope he's not done any damage as he would be a massive loss.

Why does Leam not use his subs more ? Massey 86, Edwards 92.

It was strange that Leam didn't bring him off he was obviously struggling near the end. Just hope him and Whatmough are fit for Tuesday but I suspect Whatmough may have ankle problems, he would be a huge miss

These MOTM suggestions are difficult to choose from.
Going for Callum Lang for his goal & work rate but could have chosen 5 others.
Easy afternoon and never in doubt once Charlie scored despite the officials desperate to even things up.
Liking the jogging off at half time showing a fitter mentality and touch of class from the home fans shown to Kyle Joseph.

Naylor did have a fine game today but got clattered twice around the 75 minute mark, so thought he would have got a rest from that point.

I wasn’t at Accrington but thought that today was Wyke’s best game and a definite MOM contender (along with Max Power)

In other news Crewe’s 91st minute Pen at Rotherham did me out of £900…not that I’m in any way bitter :mad::mad::arrghh::taz:

Back to back excellent performances. Still more to come but very happy to see us press, force mistakes and use the ball to create openings.

Keane deserves a mention the transformation in him within 12 months is exceptional. If that continues we may have a Vardy situation down the line, who knows.

Whatmough will be a massive loss if he's out for a while, he's the ultimate team player.

Naylor might get the legendary chat at some point, he's here he's there he's every fucking where if the fans take to him.

Power, Lang and Wyke had proper games. Mcclean almost got through on goal several times, ball just wouldn't fall kindly. Lots of positives today, was a good watch.

Naylor did have a fine game today but got clattered twice around the 75 minute mark, so thought he would have got a rest from that point.

I wasn’t at Accrington but thought that today was Wyke’s best game and a definite MOM contender (along with Max Power)

In other news Crewe’s 91st minute Pen at Rotherham did me out of £900…not that I’m in any way bitter :mad::mad::arrghh::taz:

Never mind I think you won the crowd guess

A comfortable victory this afternoon. Lang I thought was the standout performer and really should have scored more than the one he did. Good composure to set up Wyke when he must have been tempted to take the shot.

Hopefully Whatmore isn’t too seriously injured as the lad is class and it’s puzzling how he ended up at another league one club on a free in all honesty.

Yet again the officials were useless. They can’t really ask for an easier game to officiate - no penalty decisions, no bad fouls. They should be anonymous yet they still manage to make themselves centre of attention. Given all the money in the game some of it really needs to spent on improving these people.

Tuesday should be a big test and should be a decent indicator of how good we are - or aren’t

Kyle Joseph - class reaction from the lad and the crowd

Will Keane described as our Zidane by one of our lot on Radio Manchester- I wouldn’t disagree

Police need to find a different way to take the visiting nobheads back to the station, instead of driving them into our young rascals on the retail park 😂😂😂

Power’s delivery is absolutely exceptional. He was quality today. I really like how our CMs drop back when we attack with our FBs, meaning we have the numbers going forward but aren’t likely to be caught on the counter. I said before that our full backs supporting the attack would be the key to getting goals and it showed today. We should have been 3 or 4 up easily even though Cheltenham were pretty solid and caused us a few issues. Genuinely think we’re better than our Championship side from two years ago. Maybe not as flashy but incredibly solid at the back and very efficient and balanced

Cheltenhams results so far this season show that they're no pushovers.But we've outplayed them today for the vast majority and got a well deserved,comfortable 3 points.If anything the score should've been more emphatic.Fair play to Cheltenham though because they kept going and therefore us honest for 95 minutes because at 2-0 the game is never over.
It was also refreshing to hear their manager Micheal Duff give an honest assessment of the game and not make any excuses or reference to our so called 'big spending'.

Wyke,Lang and Naylor were superb,but it was another really good team performance.The early goal from Lang,after excellent work by Wyke was crucial and good reward for a high intensity start.Wykes well taken goal early in the 2nd half was also important to give us that cushion after Cheltenham had just changed their shape at HT.

Hopefully Whatmoughs hamstring issue is only minor and the same goes for Naylor's knock too,as both these lads are a crucial part of the spine of the team.

We rest up,recover and go again on Tuesday in what will be a good test against one of the bigger teams in the division.Up the tics!

Big dampener to lose Whatmough and Naylor was struggling as well, right before our biggest game of the season so far. Whatmough's was a such a shite way to get injured as well. Play was dead as the referee had blown for offside yet for some reason he kept chasing the striker and stretched to block his shot, which I assume is how he's done his hamstring. Is Jason Kerr fully fit though, because he didn't look it in midweek?

Wyke and Lang great, thank goodness the latter is tied up long term. When the time comes to sell him, we're going to make an absolute packet. Needs to work on his end product though, he should have had a hat-trick inside 30 mins.

Some teams in this league can look decent in the build up but then do nothing in final third. We get it forward quickly and then make something happen and carry a real threat. We’re also very solid at the back. As long as we don’t have an injury crisis then I think we’ll be right up there.

I think Whatmough may have had problems earlier in the game, as there were a couple of times the ball went dead and it looked like he was slightly uncomfortable and stretching.

Tilt was also warming up much more vigorously at half time as if he was told he was possibly coming on while the others were just having a kick about - until one of the coaching staff seemed to come out and tell him he wasn't getting on and he joined in with the kick about. So it seemed to me Whatmough was possibly playing with a niggle and Tilt was planned to replace him at some point in the second half.

So hopefully it was more precautionary rather than Whatmough picking up anything serious.

Before a ball was kicked we knew if we turned up we'd have a vastly superior set of players to Cheltenham who werent helped by missing 2 of their best players in Boyle and Wright. But I think they put up a good fight and defended heroically to keep the score down. It would've been easy for them to become demoralised after the early goals in both halfs but they kept plugging away like Accrington did and made us work for the win. There was a couple of moments they could've snatched a goal so I'd not say it was an easy 3 points but one they made us earn.

I thought Joseph did quite well with very limited service, competitive physically, good movement off the ball and good feet. I think he'd have really suited the style of play we have if he had stayed but if he stayed and we hadn't got in the 800k fee for him maybe we wouldn't have been able to strengthen like we have. So no complaints he went.

I thought it was another positive step forward in our style of play. Naylor is now showing for the ball constantly which is a massive help in playing out, although Cousins still seems more hesitant to get involved in the build up - I hope he opens up a bit more as i think he can do more than he is showing. There is still long balls but not as many and like at Accy away there seems to be a lot more method to how we are playing them and what areas we are hitting. The first goal came from Power dipping it over the top into a channel and the second came from Wyke dropping deep to pick up a diagonal from Watts and link up with Power. You compare that to pre international break and you can see the tactics have been tweaked to become a lot more effective. I think we were helped by Cheltenham not putting a high press on us like Sunderland did which allowed us to play out comfortably and never be pressured into going long unless we chose to but we'll happily take that. It was a night and day performance to the cup game.

I was impressed again by our level of intensity, work rate and battling. Since the opening day loss to Sunderland where we were very underwhelming in the league no matter the opposition or how we've played those qualities have been consistent. In years gone by we'd be the type of side that would either show intensity for the top sides but go missing for the easier games or visa versa so I think it's very pleasing to see we have been applying ourselves equally. We've got a squad better than most, so if we match everyone in the league for effort it will likely see you winning most games.

Amos protected well but very competent in everything he does and reliable to make the saves when needed.

Power is our play maker from right back and continues to excel there, he's really made the position his own.

Whatmough and Watts both exceptional again. Fingers crossed Whatmough is ok for Tuesday. Both a lot more discerning with the long balls they played

Darikwa defended well, got forward to support but had a few wayward passes that we got away with.

Cousins was ok, some good moments but some bad too where he gave the ball away in risky areas. Not as assured as he can be, still not really getting too involved in the build up play as much as he could.

Naylor is getting better by the game, he is getting involved in the build up play much more now and defensively is superb. Seemed to be struggling by the end but he hopefully will be fine. Already a huge player for us.

McClean probably had a less memorable game. Worked hard as always and had the odd good moment but a fair few misplaced passes - just not his day.

Keane was a bit quiet by the standards he set himself this season but still involved in our good play.

Lang isn't really a right winger and can't cross but having him on the right gives him extra time and space to arrive in the box late and is a constant threat with his direct running. Excellent goal and assist and if it wasn't for some last ditch defending and good goal keeping could've been 3 for him.

Wyke has benefited from being used more sparingly as a target man, he's still often the focal point of attacks but not every long ball is 70 yards aimed at his head and he's better for it. Hard working, unselfish assist for Lang and great finish for this goal. 3 goals in his last 2 must have his confidence flowing so hopefully he'll start to become a regular scorer now.

I think despite our improvements in our style of play there is still a lot more to improve on and when we do we'll play even better.

Plymouth, MK and Sunderland all won - Plymouth are real dark horses with 2 good strikers and a tidy team now they sorted their defence out but im not certain they will go the distance for the automatics. MK play excellent football almost unplayable at it's best but their Achilles heel has always been over playing defensively and committing suicide - so far this season they've seemed to be much better at avoiding that so they are going to be a huge threat if they keep that up. While Sunderland we know are going to be up there, in past years they bottled it at the final hurdle but I think they'll not falter this time. All 3 of them have easy home games on Tuesday so if we drop points against Sheff Wed all 3 could jump us. Staying top is going to be tough.