Merson claims Dele has his Mojo back.. | Page 3 | Vital Football

Merson claims Dele has his Mojo back..

I would love for you to be right.

I think he should never, ever play CM in a white shirt again. Put him behind the striker, give him a chance of doing well and reducing his chance of fucking up the team.

I can see why we are playing him LCM. He covers the ground nobody else can. With Son and Reggie down the left someone has to do the dirty work.

I don't think this is his best position. He looks his most dangerous as a Tim Cahill type. Less pressure to give the ball away needlessly.

I see his current position as a short term fix.

Going forward I don't see him as a starter to be honest. Unless he takes up Kanes spot. Which probably won't happen.

He is working hard. He still gets dispossessed to easily and looks technically a bit shabby.

He used to be super confident. Then he became over-confident/ arrogant when I genuinely think his profile went to his head. A combination of things( injuries,Mourinho, Euros) have severely dented that confidence but something has definitely clicked with him attitude wise so hopefully he can keep progressing in the right direction.

He is working hard. He still gets dispossessed to easily and looks technically a bit shabby.

He used to be super confident. Then he became over-confident/ arrogant when I genuinely think his profile went to his head. A combination of things( injuries,Mourinho, Euros) have severely dented that confidence but something has definitely clicked with him attitude wise so hopefully he can keep progressing in the right direction.

It's hard not to back a man working as hard as he can to contribute. He was quite vocal and involved during the penalty shoot-out the other night after being subbed.

Well the good news is that Dele says he is happy playing number 8 and clearly loves the box to box stuff. As part of that, we must accept that his stats may never be as good as when he was in Poch's 4-2-3-1 playing as a false 9 or 10.

What Dele now needs to happen is that the 6 players ahead of the defence start crossing the white line with his attitude. Then he can be like Lampard or Gerrard and trust that others are covering for him in the same way as he does for them. Then he can start to focus on his attacking talents again. As part of that he needs to be the most vocal outfield player.

Dele should also be the current vice captain.

Well the good news is that Dele says he is happy playing number 8 and clearly loves the box to box stuff. As part of that, we must accept that his stats may never be as good as when he was in Poch's 4-2-3-1 playing as a false 9 or 10.

What Dele now needs to happen is that the 6 players ahead of the defence start crossing the white line with his attitude. Then he can be like Lampard or Gerrard and trust that others are covering for him in the same way as he does for them. Then he can start to focus on his attacking talents again. As part of that he needs to be the most vocal outfield player.

Dele should also be the current vice captain.

We don't have a captain.

We don't have a captain.

We don't have a shouty bloke at centre half or centre mid. We had that with Dawson and he was a terrible captain. Couldn't even run a back four.

What we do have is a GK that constantly talks to his back four and makes the collective better than the individuals. There is no more reassuring voice behind a back four in world football. Spurs fans take that for granted and we only notice when other keepers like Gollini fill in for him. I'm guessing Hugo also has the respect of the dressing room.

What we don't have is a great captain playing in the right position like Hendo.

We don't have a shouty bloke at centre half or centre mid. We had that with Dawson and he was a terrible captain. Couldn't even run a back four.

What we do have is a GK that constantly talks to his back four and makes the collective better than the individuals. There is no more reassuring voice behind a back four in world football. Spurs fans take that for granted and we only notice when other keepers like Gollini fill in for him. I'm guessing Hugo also has the respect of the dressing room.

We don't have a captain?

Dele is the architect of his own downfall. When he broke through with us he was built up by the media as the best thing since sliced bread and unfortunately Dele believed the hype and thought he should be playing for Real Madrid. That attitude along with his celebrity lifestyle plus all of the injuries ended up taking its toll on the young prodigy. He has had to endure a tough time in recent years mostly caused by himself. He has watched other youngsters come in and steel his mantel, players such as Foden, Mount, Bellingham etc.
Hopefully he realises he may in last chance saloon and wants to haul himself back into the limelight and back into England contention.
We know there is a player in there and I for one hope he applies himself and gets back.

Agree there muttley, regards Lloris constantly talking to his back 4, but he should be doing that anyway, thus not being the Captain, that option as you hinted at should go to an on field player, esp a CM with a big mouth lol!

Dele is the architect of his own downfall. When he broke through with us he was built up by the media as the best thing since sliced bread and unfortunately Dele believed the hype and thought he should be playing for Real Madrid. That attitude along with his celebrity lifestyle plus all of the injuries ended up taking its toll on the young prodigy. He has had to endure a tough time in recent years mostly caused by himself. He has watched other youngsters come in and steel his mantel, players such as Foden, Mount, Bellingham etc.
Hopefully he realises he may in last chance saloon and wants to haul himself back into the limelight and back into England contention.
We know there is a player in there and I for one hope he applies himself and gets back.

His tough time were mostly caused by injuries. So avoidable if Levy and Poch had given him and Eriksen some respite by bringing in more players in that key position. I'm guessing when you're on your 3rd or 4th soft tissue injury then it's quite easy to let your mental health suffer. You then find ways of filling your days and throw yourself into your other businesses. Because your name is Dele Alli, you get slaughtered for that as much as your restricted on-pitch impact because of injuries. It's not as if you've been falling out of Stringfellows drunk at 3am with a different girl each week. On top of this, you're carrying another burden of the strained and estranged relationships with own mum and sister. You are 22 or 23 years old when all of this is happening.

Then Mr Toxic walks into the football club and tries to bully and control your mind. You know you should have just sparked him out, but you maintain a dignified silence as you see a season of your career pass you by. No meritocracy, he won't pick you because you're stronger than him mentally. You also know you're better than the dross being selected.

So knowing all of that, does anyone wonder why Dele is absolutely up for it this season? Unlike the current England captain, he didn't get possessed by the Toxic one. He saw straight through him from day 1. Spurs needs mentally strong players. There are none stronger than Dele. We now get to benefit from that tough period he has been through personally.

Some interesting insights into Dele and his personal life. On the face of it he isn't playing as well as he used to. It's a case of why. Then whether or not allowances are made or just write him off and discard into lower echelons of football. There are those that have lost their patience and those that are prepared to wait. But for how long?

His tough time were mostly caused by injuries. So avoidable if Levy and Poch had given him and Eriksen some respite by bringing in more players in that key position. I'm guessing when you're on your 3rd or 4th soft tissue injury then it's quite easy to let your mental health suffer. You then find ways of filling your days and throw yourself into your other businesses. Because your name is Dele Alli, you get slaughtered for that as much as your restricted on-pitch impact because of injuries. It's not as if you've been falling out of Stringfellows drunk at 3am with a different girl each week. On top of this, you're carrying another burden of the strained and estranged relationships with own mum and sister. You are 22 or 23 years old when all of this is happening.

Then Mr Toxic walks into the football club and tries to bully and control your mind. You know you should have just sparked him out, but you maintain a dignified silence as you see a season of your career pass you by. No meritocracy, he won't pick you because you're stronger than him mentally. You also know you're better than the dross being selected.

So knowing all of that, does anyone wonder why Dele is absolutely up for it this season? Unlike the current England captain, he didn't get possessed by the Toxic one. He saw straight through him from day 1. Spurs needs mentally strong players. There are none stronger than Dele. We now get to benefit from that tough period he has been through personally.

Spot on 👏