Coronavirus | Page 154 | Vital Football

Coronavirus

Someone I work with made a comment about teachers during lockdown last year. Basically said they do nothing at all and one of her neighbours even had a tan...
She missed the whole irony of that particular barbed comment as she herself has a permanent caked on tan!

I always wish people that think teachers do nothing could be imported into a classroom for a term.

Another public sector employee who's been shat on from a great height for the last 11 years.
When I was still teaching, I got so tired of the short hours, long holidays comment that I worked out how my working week (75 hours) compared to office hours (37 hours) and worked out that I worked 18 months a year, so used that as a response.

I have experience of public sector (family members) and private sector and my conclusion is that all people work way more hours then they are contractually obligated. Teaching is particularly bad the planning and marking is like a full time job in itself.

We're finding that more and more time is being taken up dealing with parental and other various issues which occur outside of school, e.g. parents coming to us asking for help with housing issues. This all creates time and people pressures. We're once again becoming the go-to for any service required.
This week, we've had 3 teachers off with COVID/illness (my wife included). That's 90 kids who still a teacher putting in front of them to teach. It's already stretching us as a staff body and we're only 2 weeks back in.

We're finding that more and more time is being taken up dealing with parental and other various issues which occur outside of school, e.g. parents coming to us asking for help with housing issues. This all creates time and people pressures. We're once again becoming the go-to for any service required.
This week, we've had 3 teachers off with COVID/illness (my wife included). That's 90 kids who still a teacher putting in front of them to teach. It's already stretching us as a staff body and we're only 2 weeks back in.

Teachers are cops, social workers, benefits advisers, kids counsellors and mental health supporters and goodness knows what else these days.

I wouldn't do it for all the tea in China.

And still they are regularly undervalued and criticised by the government and their attack-dogs in the right-wing press.

Report from the US shows being vaccinated makes you 29 times less likely to be hospitalised compared to unvaccinated..

Plus other handy data presented...

I have seen it all now stupid person tries to get into walk in test centre without face mask and then kicks off with them when they say you need a mask.

whilst I was only a bystander I got so annoyed I gave her my view i now need to put a lot of money in a jar.

difficult to tell if it’s arrogance lack of intelligence or both

Anti vaxxers were protesting at the carholme roundabout on Friday teatime.
Causing the traffic to slowdown and distract people on an incredibly busy roundabout