Fifty Years An Imp | Page 3 | Vital Football

Fifty Years An Imp

I have a very strange memory indeed of this otherwise wholly unremarkable, routine game.

If possible could someone who has the records and knows about these things possibly confirm whether my memory is right or - as is quite likely - not?

For this to be true Krzywicki would have been terrorising the burly, battle-hardened Crewe left back early in the game and he absolutely scythed him down right on the touchline, Sincil Bank side.

He then turned to the crowd where practically everyone was screaming abuse and showing him the V sign. I have never seen a player so affected by a crowd as for the next 15 minutes he barely moved until recovering his composure.

The other thing about that game was that I'm sure that it was announced over the tannoy that there were several dignatories from Gibraltar at the match. If so, I've always wondered if that would that have been the beginning of the Lincoln Red Imps?

I'm aware of the fallibility of memory but I know those two incidents happened, it's just a case of when?

Sadly, all I can remember is, I was there. I was only seven.

Can't remember the first game I was taken to, possibly 59/60. Just very vague recollections of being in the ground at the railway end. Was too young really.
Started going fairly regularly from about 1964. That's when my first run of programmes start. Frequent opponents in those early years were Barrow, Southport, Workington, York, Wrexham as well as many other usual suspects. I've been a glory hunter with City ever since.
Didn't realise it was a bit of a nadir at the time. But we were a Football League Club and that was important. We were part of the 92 clubs, the big time. However, even that period of underachievement ( how many bottom four finishes in Div 4?) did not prepare me for the darkest days still to come. Thank goodness we came out the other side, and compared to the early 60s are in a much better position now. Still part of the 92, though the distinction is not as clearcut any more.
The world has changed, but one constant is we still have a club in pretty rude health to support which kind of makes all the memories and emotional investment we have all made down the years seem worthwhile.

Congrats!

Top 3 moments?
Impossible to say, a rollercoaster of cup ties, promotions, last-minute winners, full houses, local derbies, away days, great players, great managers, the opening of new stands, salvation from the brink of insolvency, meeting players and so many more. I could give you a list of a hundred probably.

The proverbial 'perfect' hat-trick - scored with both feet and a header.
It was, and I can't remember that being equalled until Jonny Margetts surpassed it with an even more perfect four against Southport (header, right foot, left foot, penalty).

Can’t remember my actual first game but the oldest goal I distinctly remember was Terry Branston scoring with a header from a corner at the South Park end 5 minutes from the end of the game against Darlington in 1973. It was Graham Taylor’s first win as manager after several games in charge without a win. Was Heanage Dove on the verge of sacking the great man, who knows?
Dennis Bocock was chairman at that time, and I believe Dove was pretty much the only member of the board who stood up for Taylor when the other directors became restless.

Heading towards 53 years of purgatory for me, Boxing Day 1968, lost 1-0 v Port Vale as that season's promotion bit started to fizzle away.

We only lost because Ray Harford slipped over on the frozen pitch and allowed their man a clear run on goal.

First vivid recollection was the match Roger Holmes broke his leg, think it was v York and we won 3-0.

Yes, 12 October 1968. There were complaints about what were referred to as 'juvenile fun makers' letting off fireworks on the terraces at that match.

Impossible to say, a rollercoaster of cup ties, promotions, last-minute winners, full houses, local derbies, away days, great players, great managers, the opening of new stands, salvation from the brink of insolvency, meeting players and so many more. I could give you a list of a hundred probably.
I feel a book coming soon

Dennis Bocock was chairman at that time, and I believe Dove was pretty much the only member of the board who stood up for Taylor when the other directors became restless.
Yes that’s right thank you. Heanage Dove took over as Chair in the mid 70s and was in the hot seat for the Championship 75/76 season as well as the Taylor to Watford saga. Heanage was a local farmer based at South Scarle, not sure if his family are still there.

The other thing about that game was that I'm sure that it was announced over the tannoy that there were several dignatories from Gibraltar at the match. If so, I've always wondered if that would that have been the beginning of the Lincoln Red Imps?

I don't particularly remember that, but it's quite possible as the Lincoln Red Imps came about due to director Reg Brealey who had business interests in Gibraltar.

It was after the end of that season, in the last week of May, that the team went to Gibraltar to take part in a four-team tournament arranged by the Government of Gibraltar. City played two games before being eliminated, drawing 2-2 with Sheffield United and 3-3 with Blackburn Rovers, losing both times on penalties.

As well as the official party from the club the Red Imps Association and the Supporters Club also organised a trip for supporters.

It was this visit which saw the origins of the Lincoln Red Imps. Brealey inspired a friend and business contact to form the club which he agreed to sponsor as long as they named themselves after Lincoln.

Indulge me for a few seconds.

Fifty years ago this evening, I attended my first game at SB. It was a League Cup second round replay against Third Division Blackburn and City thumped them 4-1. Phil Hubbard scored three of them and I was hooked.

I keep meaning to catch up with Hubbard at a Players' Association gathering to tell him the last fifty years have been entirely his fault.
Well done Scotimp! My first match was in 1967 1-1 v Aldershot. There was a small gang of us from St Peter-Gowts school use to meet up in the Railway end. Supported ever since despite moving away when I was 18. Reading the stories I think there are enough qualifiers to form a '50 years an Imp' club

My first game was sometime around 65/66 season, sadly no idea who it was against. First vivid recollection was the match Roger Holmes broke his leg, think it was v York and we won 3-0.

It happened just outside the box at the then South Park end. The 'CRACK' when the challenge went in was loud enough for everyone there to know that a bone had been broken. I can still vividly recall the sight and sound of that event; I think all who were there felt it.

Fifty years pah!! My first game was 1953, no Idea of the opposition or score but know that Ernie Whittle and Roy Finch were playing. I know that makes me an old git but not much i can do about that.🙄
I remember the forward line of Munroe, Garvie, Graver, Whittle and Finch. No idea who my 1st game was against but it would have been the 1st home game of the season - either 1954/55 or 1955/56.My Dad had a season ticket and when he went to renew his the seat next to him was available and he thought I was old enough to go and he got it for me. Row I seats 30 & 31 in the old wooden St. Andrews stand.