Fifty Years An Imp | Page 2 | Vital Football

Fifty Years An Imp

I cannot remember my first game but it would have been some time in the mid to late 50's. Bill Anderson was the coach and Roy Chapman was one of our main strikers at the time. I do recall in the early 60's the team ended up bottom of Division 4 a few times and were required to apply for re-election into the football league. So a real long suffering Imp and wouldn't have it any other way.

For me , March 12th 1960 , City 5 Middlesborough 2, stood by the wall at the South Park end, last season but one in what is now the Championship. I can remember I pestered my dad to take me who was a Season ticket holder, he has a lot to answer for !!
First away game, Sheffield Utd FA Cup January 28th 1961, lost 3-1, Andy Graver scored for us, but apart from it being a Lincolnshire Road car trip and being beep cold can remember nothing about the game.

Last edited:
April 1964. A 2-0 home loss to Workington. For some reason I was still hooked. For most of my life it’s been downhill since then. Thank goodness for the last 4 or 5 years

Last edited:
Indulge me for a few seconds.

Fifty years ago this evening, I attended my first game at SB. It was a League Cup second round replay against Third Division Blackburn and City thumped them 4-1. Phil Hubbard scored three of them and I was hooked.

I keep meaning to catch up with Hubbard at a Players' Association gathering to tell him the last fifty years have been entirely his fault.
Pah! Johnny-come-lately :grinning: Good match to start with though.

Heading towards 53 years of purgatory for me, Boxing Day 1968, lost 1-0 v Port Vale as that season's promotion bit started to fizzle away.

Congratulations on 50 years, fascinated to read the stories of those going back to the 50s and before even I was born.

Fifty years ago this evening, I attended my first game at SB. It was a League Cup second round replay against Third Division Blackburn and City thumped them 4-1. Phil Hubbard scored three of them and I was hooked.

I keep meaning to catch up with Hubbard at a Players' Association gathering to tell him the last fifty years have been entirely his fault.

Certain on year? Not perhaps only 49...?😁😁

Congratulations Scotimp on your 50 years 👏👏.
1st February 1969 for me, so 52 years - Rochdale at home, 0 - 0 (why would I go back after that 🤔).
Don’t remember the Blackburn game but I seem to remember Phil Hubbard and his hat-trick - Phil was one of my all-time all time Imps heros. I was totally gutted when he left for Norwich.

09/04/1960 Lincoln 5 Charlton 3 barely out of Terry's taken by my Uncle. Then most Saturdays and about once every 6 weeks or so via the barbers on the corner of Sincil Bank and Ripon St. Every Saturday after the match straight to Brumptons on St Andrews St for fishcake and chips.

My first game was sometime around 65/66 season, sadly no idea who it was against. First vivid recollection was the match Roger Holmes broke his leg, think it was v York and we won 3-0.

Southend at home on September 19th 1970 was my first game. My 50th anniversary would have been at MK Dons last season. Unfortunately Covid spoiled the party for me and I had to watch it on iFollow.

Great performance and result, then and now.

As I have mentioned a few times on here, my first game was the much-postponed Third Round FA Cup game Vs Coventry City, 7th March (my dad's 40th birthday) 1963. We lost 1-5 and I cannot explain why I went again, and again, and again...

Jal?

For me , March 12th 1960 , City 5 Middlesborough 2, stood by the wall at the South Park end, last season but one in what is now the Championship. I can remember I pestered my dad to take me who was a Season ticket holder, he has a lot to answer for !!
First away game, Sheffield Utd FA Cup January 28th 1961, lost 3-1, Andy Graver scored for us, but apart from it being a Lincolnshire Road car trip and being beep cold can remember nothing about the game.

That was my first away game, too!!

Just a handful of weeks ahead of you: Crewe at home, March 2nd 1976.

I have a very strange memory indeed of this otherwise wholly unremarkable, routine game.

If possible could someone who has the records and knows about these things possibly confirm whether my memory is right or - as is quite likely - not?

For this to be true Krzywicki would have been terrorising the burly, battle-hardened Crewe left back early in the game and he absolutely scythed him down right on the touchline, Sincil Bank side.

He then turned to the crowd where practically everyone was screaming abuse and showing him the V sign. I have never seen a player so affected by a crowd as for the next 15 minutes he barely moved until recovering his composure.

The other thing about that game was that I'm sure that it was announced over the tannoy that there were several dignatories from Gibraltar at the match. If so, I've always wondered if that would that have been the beginning of the Lincoln Red Imps?

I'm aware of the fallibility of memory but I know those two incidents happened, it's just a case of when?