Fifty Years An Imp | Vital Football

Fifty Years An Imp

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
Indulge me for a few seconds.

Fifty years ago this evening, I attended my first game at SB. It was a League Cup second round replay against Third Division Blackburn and City thumped them 4-1. Phil Hubbard scored three of them and I was hooked.

I keep meaning to catch up with Hubbard at a Players' Association gathering to tell him the last fifty years have been entirely his fault.

Indulge me for a few seconds.

Fifty years ago this evening, I attended my first game at SB. It was a League Cup second round replay against Third Division Blackburn and City thumped them 4-1. Phil Hubbard scored three of them and I was hooked.

I keep meaning to catch up with Hubbard at a Players' Association gathering to tell him the last fifty years have been entirely his fault.
You're nowt but an old boy!

I wonder who on vitals has the honour of following the Imps the longest taking their 1st actual attendance as a starting point?. Not me for sure, 6/9/1980 v Halifax, so at just 41 yrs im still wet behind the ears compared to some.

Congratulations Scotimp 50 years is great I am just a bit behind you.

Seem to be a few 1976, mine was 21st August 1976 the first match of the new season after the Graham Taylor Championship season in Division 3 and here we are just over 45 years later still in Division3. Been a few ups and downs since then though.

Sat in the old St Andrews stand with my dad 1-1 was the score against ShrewsburyTown.

Last edited:
Can’t remember my actual first game but the oldest goal I distinctly remember was Terry Branston scoring with a header from a corner at the South Park end 5 minutes from the end of the game against Darlington in 1973. It was Graham Taylor’s first win as manager after several games in charge without a win. Was Heanage Dove on the verge of sacking the great man, who knows?

Can’t remember my actual first game but the oldest goal I distinctly remember was Terry Branston scoring with a header from a corner at the South Park end 5 minutes from the end of the game against Darlington in 1973. It was Graham Taylor’s first win as manager after several games in charge without a win. Was Heanage Dove on the verge of sacking the great man, who knows?
Terry Branston, an uncompromising gentleman.

October 1965 for me. Highlights would include the 67 League Cup run with the sheer excitement of matches under the lights, the 71/72 season, 75/76 obviously, and 81/82.
The last 5 years haven't been bad either.

1959 for me. On the train from Collingham with my dad for all home matches Lived in Lincoln 1973 to1976 so got the 75/76 winning season and still an Imp today. George and Dragon for a pint after the win