Odd random stuff | Page 3 | Vital Football

Odd random stuff

In other news about great british success stories

In Sunday Times Business section today
Can't modify the file size to post full article with this phone

Looks like we questioned his commitment to the game, then he went to Bolton.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210912-123942_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210912-123942_Chrome.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 22
In other news about great british success stories

In Sunday Times Business section today
Can't modify the file size to post full article with this phone

Looks like we questioned his commitment to the game, then he went to Bolton.
Glad he's made a success of his life outside of football, but he's still a dick.

British girl? Not sure about that. If Canada provided more financial funding to young tennis players than Great Britain do, she'd be Canadian. Ditto China or Romania. Congrats though.
She came here at the age of 2,Really cannot see that her parents moved her for funding at that age!Lets just celebrate a British success!!

She came here at the age of 2,Really cannot see that her parents moved her for funding at that age!Lets just celebrate a British success!!
They didn't.
They moved to the UK because of their jobs.
Both parents professions are in the financial sector, so both probably work in London City.

Ironically, I was also born in Toronto and moved here with (military) British-born parents when I was in single-figures. I've always identified as Canadian, but I was over the moon for her win this mornng / last night. Just celebrate a success, and a female success, and one from mixed heritage... i know that's quite difficult for the old codgers on here.

Ironically, I was also born in Toronto and moved here with (military) British-born parents when I was in single-figures. I've always identified as Canadian, but I was over the moon for her win this mornng / last night. Just celebrate a success, and a female success, and one from mixed heritage... i know that's quite difficult for the old codgers on here.
It was brilliant to see a British sportsperson win a major sporting event. Irrespective of where she was born. Greatest sporting achievement since May 2013.

As I was saying, an identical upbringing to Osaka, yet Osaka represents her country of birth…

Are we now starting to question the right of sportsmen and women to represent the country that has given them a home since childhood. The question of were they were born should not even enter into the conversation, a person brought to this country at the age of two is hardly going to be seen as a sporting prospect and to suggest that anyone of that age was simply brought here to benefit from sporting grants and coaching is simply ridiculous.

Do you apply the same to Sir Mo Farah and other such sporting greats that have made their home here and gone on to represent the country as ambassadors for their sports. Under that criteria most of the Australian and USA sportsmen and women would not be seen as representing the counties of their birth.

Are we now starting to question the right of sportsmen and women to represent the country that has given them a home since childhood. The question of were they were born should not even enter into the conversation, a person brought to this country at the age of two is hardly going to be seen as a sporting prospect and to suggest that anyone of that age was simply brought here to benefit from sporting grants and coaching is simply ridiculous.

Do you apply the same to Sir Mo Farah and other such sporting greats that have made their home here and gone on to represent the country as ambassadors for their sports. Under that criteria most of the Australian and USA sportsmen and women would not be seen as representing the counties of their birth.
Seems to me someone is questioning the rights of anyone to do anything at anytime now or in the past which may upset someone else somewhere else now or retrospectively- it's a pathetic state of events

I’m not disputing her Britishness. Just stating that she’s probably representing the nation due to the funding they provide, especially when considering that her parents are Chinese and Romanian respectively. Look at Naomi Osaka, she’s had an identical upbringing being born in one country before moving to another at a young age. Yet she represents her birth country and Raducanu doesn’t…

Maybe I’m looking into it too much.
I think you are C latic. If she had all her training from Bromley tennis club and the LTA and won the US Open then suddenly declared herself Canadian I somehow don't think you would be posting "fine by me".

She is British because she chooses to be and is quite entitled to do so.

What does Richardson mean when he keeps going on about hitting numbers ?

“The easiest thing would have been to throw them straight in, but we’d like them to hit the numbers we need them to hit before making that decision.”

What does Richardson mean when he keeps going on about hitting numbers ?

“The easiest thing would have been to throw them straight in, but we’d like them to hit the numbers we need them to hit before making that decision.”
I imagine it's in terms of stats .... whether it be to do with fitness (eg yards covered) or contribution to the game (eg passes made/completed, tackles, duels won, etc).

There are probably different ones for each area of the field, which is why he's so happy with Wyke, as he's pulling the defences all over the place, creating holes for others to score.

I suppose it's something tangible that those challenging for a start can be measured against.

Last edited:

Not difficult for ALL the old codgers here....I watched the final & was made up for her - nowt to do with ethnicity or gender...just the fact she did the bloody hard way via qualifiers, not dropping a set , her steely determination of overcoming big hurdles & all at a very tender young age.......hardly a comparison but bit like our 2013 cup victory - against the odds on a big stage when it mattered.
BTW thought both girls came across very well during the interviews at the end of the match....they must all be given lessons in media approach etc.

Reactions: GSM
It was brilliant to see a British sportsperson win a major sporting event. Irrespective of where she was born. Greatest sporting achievement since May 2013.

Hang on Jeff...do u not mean the greatest sporting achievement since Scotland winning the 0-0 Cup against England in the 2020 Euros 🤔😉

Ex-Wigan Athletic boss Gary Caldwell is joining Manchester City.

The former Football League manager is poised to join the Premier League champions as ‘loan team coach’,

WTF is that:slap:

Ex-Wigan Athletic boss Gary Caldwell is joining Manchester City.

The former Football League manager is poised to join the Premier League champions as ‘loan team coach’,

WTF is that:slap:

He is the Coach responsible for players out on loan, similar to Shola Ameobi at Newcastle who has been overseeing Kell Watts with us.