Racism in football/booing/the knee | Page 31 | Vital Football

Racism in football/booing/the knee

I don't don't know but has it been as headline as the Polish bloke making monkey gestures. Which completely overshadowed the England game? I don't think it's over shadowed the Lukaku love fest
Abuse concerning which sect you belong to is different to racism. Each side in a sectarian issue is there because of thought as opposed to unchangeable physical attributes. The sectarian thing in Scotland is rather tedious.

Abuse concerning which sect you belong to is different to racism. Each side in a sectarian issue is there because of thought as opposed to unchangeable physical attributes. The sectarian thing in Scotland is rather tedious.
Well if you have a Celt/Irish name and background, that's not your choice. You may look similar but in other respects it is classic bigotry.

I don't don't know but has it been as headline as the Polish bloke making monkey gestures. Which completely overshadowed the England game? I don't think it's over shadowed the Lukaku love fest
Well the national team is going to get more attention than Aston Villa isn't it? There are daily incidents of much worse racism that don't get any attention because they're not aimed at elite pro sports people.

The point is, it *is* news. It *is* being taken seriously, so why does there have to be some sort of false competition set up?

It should be a focus on abuse, and to be fair players can lead the way there a bit with their conduct to refs (no matter how frustrating they are) but also, all of us. We've all (?) got carried away at times I'm sure, but some go and every week you see the same contorted faces of bitterness and bile. I don't get it, when an oppo has scored a screamer over the years, I have occasionally stood and applauded. Pretty sure the one was Zola years ago.

I’ve got mates of Irish descent, and it seems like both sides enjoy it as much as each other. I’ve been in pubs where British born and bred people sing “Up the Ra”… which I always find wrong. On the other hand you have the English chanting “no surrender” during the national anthem.

This stuff is probably chanted and sung about for 90 minutes during an old firm Derby, and probably the same in Edinburgh and Belfast during certain games.

I don’t condone any of it as I don’t understand it (as a non-religious Brit) but it really isn’t one sided. The bloke is an idiot, but it really isn't new or isolated.

when i was a kid, i was livng in aston i was always rooting for ireland, but funny how time changes things, now im back home.nearly 25 years. im actually missing the uk, over here at the moment the uk is getting a terrible slagging from the irish social media, its not the ireland i loved when i came over on holiday 50 years ago, the simple way of living as turned into a high tech nightmare, but i suppose coming out of europe dosent help... seanie

That's my point really. If there's a racial element it's national news yet nasty abuse of someone's family is somehow ok

Have to be careful of the "whataboutisms" because in the big picture thousands are discriminated against daily due to the colour of their skin. Familial abuse absolutely should not be tolerated but at the end of the day its not stopping you from putting food on your table, improving your living situation or even getting basic needs met.

If I take myself as an example nobody knows I am Irish until I open my mouth and even then in my corner of the world not everyone picks up on it. If someone has called my family a bunch of thick Irish travellers the morning of an interview the hiring manager isnt going to know that. Now if I am black and walk into an interview I cant hide my skin.

Thats why things are a little different.

Have to be careful of the "whataboutisms" because in the big picture thousands are discriminated against daily due to the colour of their skin. Familial abuse absolutely should not be tolerated but at the end of the day its not stopping you from putting food on your table, improving your living situation or even getting basic needs met.

If I take myself as an example nobody knows I am Irish until I open my mouth and even then in my corner of the world not everyone picks up on it. If someone has called my family a bunch of thick Irish travellers the morning of an interview the hiring manager isnt going to know that. Now if I am black and walk into an interview I cant hide my skin.

100% agree that racial slurs are worse than standard abuse. Yet vile chants about family shouldn't be OK in my view

Totally true, you can't hide skin colour, and that's a different level.

I think a lot of the anger (from what I've seen) re McGinn, goes back to the amount James McClean has had to put up with, and how its never really been dealt with. And yes I know, most people hate him, he's an idiot and he certainly doesn't help himself, but the lad doesn't deserve half the abuse he gets, especially death threats towards him and his family.

Totally true, you can't hide skin colour, and that's a different level.

I think a lot of the anger (from what I've seen) re McGinn, goes back to the amount James McClean has had to put up with, and how its never really been dealt with. And yes I know, most people hate him, he's an idiot and he certainly doesn't help himself, but the lad doesn't deserve half the abuse he gets, especially death threats towards him and his family.

Well its nearly November so I'm sure all the James Mclean stuff will be flaring up again soon.