Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm | Page 44 | Vital Football

Chelsea v Aston Villa Match Thread - 11/9 - 5.30pm

I prefer to think of it being another example of a good team not playing very well and yet still winning. I have an account with "The Sunday Times" and the BTL comments on the match report from Chelsea supporters mostly say that the scoreline flattered them. One even said he expected Villa to be challenging for the top six this season.....

Yep, I think 99% of Chelsea, Villa fans and neutrals would agree with the sentiments regarding yesterday’s match, if not the ‘top 6’ claim! Ultimately despite a more than decent first half in particular, poor defending and finishing cost us big time. That said, 3-0 certainly did flatter Chelsea.

Yeah well they don't watch us every week, if he'd seen the opening 3 games I doubt he'd hold that opinion

No I’m sure he hasn’t taken any notice of our loss, win and draw in the first 3 games Silhill….so by clearly basing his ’top 6’ claim on yesterday alone, it suggests he must have been far more impressed with aspects of our performance yesterday than you were….:grinning:

Yet again missing my point Ollie was having an off day as well but he can do no wrong in some peoples eyes because he is a trier.
Other managers recognise when their star striker has missed 4 or 5 chances it might not be his day either.
I was saying is that Dean never subs Ollie or McGinn regardless, I'm not talking specifically (pacific for Brummies) about yesterday

Trier doesn't cover it. He's highly mobile, moves into great positions, and causes defences problems. He's more than just a striker which is why he gets some leeway when the sharpness isn't quite there. I suspect DS was prepared to go along with that on the basis Ollie needed the minutes, he was close even if he hadn't scored, he was always capable of scoring, and he was still as strong an option as we have. Not surprised if he doesn't get subbed.

I like Watkins a lot but he was given a great chance on a plate in the first half which he ruined with a poor first touch and then tried to round the keeper, giving defenders the opportunity to get back.

Lukaku on the other hand is at least one of the very best strikers in the world and undeniably world class. Watkins is not in his league.

Watkins needs to dramatically improve his first touch, especially in front of goal, and sharpen up some of his decision making in front of goal. Other than that I think Watkins played extremely well but let himself down a bit in the part of the pitch that counts the most for a player in his position.

I think until we can find someone in midfield you can keep the supply going for Ollie and Ings, they will both struggle to score, especially Ings. I think in midfield we should play with the following:

Buendia
Ramsey Nakamba Bailey/Traore

Decent 30 mins or not , I will never be happy with a 0-3 loss or being patronised by sky6 fans patting plucky villa on the head.
If you get off on that shit good luck to you but it's not for me .

Nobody’s ‘getting off on that shit’ as you politely call it….just because you praise certain aspects of a performance when your team loses doesn’t mean you’re happy with losing. It is possible to both be pissed off with losing but recognise elements of a performance which gives a bit of encouragement.

Nobody’s ‘getting off on that shit’ as you politely call it….just because you praise certain aspects of a performance when your team loses doesn’t mean you’re happy with losing. It is possible to both be pissed off with losing but recognise elements of a performance which gives a bit of encouragement.

Very true mate just as I was trying to point out about SJM, he played very well but if you analyse his final pass he just kept giving it away. Same with Watkins it wasn't going to be his day after his early misses.
People then immediately feel is necessary to tell me what they do well when it is blindingly obvious what they do well but not so obvious what they don't do well due to the Claret and Blue googles we wear.

- he's 28 now so don't think there's much scope for him to improve all that much.
Value wise we should be looking to cash in on him sooner rather than later.
Don't really agree with that tbh. Most/many centre-backs get better with experience, and in terms of experience Mings is still very very raw. He is prone to mistakes still for certain but I'd hardly be ready to write him off at 28, even if he had been playing the position at this level for 5-6 years. Look at Jonny Evans - accident waiting to happen for years at ManUre, yet as he got older he got better and better. Moyes is also an example who trusts older centre-backs. He has Dawson now at Spam and at Everton he had players like Weir, Stubbs, Unsworth all playing into their mid-late 30's. Similar to goalkeepers, central defenders improve with experience as they learn to organize, read the game, situations etc.

Mings has come out and apologised to his team mates and the fans on Instagram for the pass. Takes balls, fair play to him - wasn’t expecting that. Let’s hope it is the wake up call for his decision making that he needs, it’s what some fear on the big stage which could be career defining in a Scott Carson or Steven Gerrard way.

Mings has come out and apologised to his team mates and the fans on Instagram for the pass. Takes balls, fair play to him - wasn’t expecting that. Let’s hope it is the wake up call for his decision making that he needs, it’s what some fear on the big stage which could be career defining in a Scott Carson or Steven Gerrard way.
He did it last season after he got stick though Dan, he made a point of booting it in row ZZ when he could have played it back to the keeper or down the line. I don't mind players trying to play but 6ft 5in lanky fecking defenders are defenders for a reason, they can't do fancy stuff, just pass it to someone who can

Very true mate just as I was trying to point out about SJM, he played very well but if you analyse his final pass he just kept giving it away. Same with Watkins it wasn't going to be his day after his early misses.
People then immediately feel is necessary to tell me what they do well when it is blindingly obvious what they do well but not so obvious what they don't do well due to the Claret and Blue googles we wear.

‘Claret n blue goggles’ or ‘googles’!! as you call them ‘57…..don’t know what you’re talking about, definitely doesn’t apply to me….:grinning: