The World Cup Thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

The World Cup Thread

I definitely see the way forward with this though. Sign a player. Then tell him that the club decide when he plays for his country. Then if we do let the player go off and play then the club will sit thousands of miles away and dictate to the country FA how they run their team and manage their players while away.

What an attractive club we will be for top players.

we're gonna be flooded with players from the rest of the Prem big boys now all wanting to join.
Salah might be handy back up tbf.

Sounds like multiple tails wagging the dog. International teams who don’t pay the players wages and players who don’t recognise that their income comes via their clubs.
How about requiring the National f.a.s to pay the players’ wages while on international duty.

I thought England did give out match fees which are then donated to charity. The FA can't pay the players' wages because they have no contract of employment with them.

I assume this applies to other FAs as well.

Last edited:
Sounds like multiple tails wagging the dog. International teams who don’t pay the players wages and players who don’t recognise that their income comes via their clubs.
How about requiring the National f.a.s to pay the players’ wages while on international duty.

Correct me if I am wrong , but I think the players still receive a fee for playing international football..

Correct me if I am wrong , but I think the players still receive a fee for playing international football..

For England, at least, it's a small amount (in comparison to their normal wage!). They more than make up for that through sponsorships, etc..

The bottom line is if you told your boss you were going to a red list country and wouldn't be in work for the next 10 days when you got back I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be going or you'd be looking for another job on your return.

What makes footballers special?

Its not a comparable situation to an every day job. If we sign good players we are fully aware that they are likely be called up by their national teams. Going forward very few top players would want to join us too

Most outside of Europe wouldn't be able to afford it.

Is that down to Purslow or the Argentinian F.A though ? The players were in the care of the AFA as I understand it.

Emi comments have been cropped I read them in the way I read Purslow's statement.

In any event, it's not for us to understand, we aren't involved - this falls squarely on Argentina. It's not Villa's job to chaperone another Football Association.

Erm.

Their 'bosses' told them they could go .

Or to make it even more simple .

Emi Martinez and Emi Buendia were told by Aston Villa football club they were allowed to go and play for their country during this international break
yeah , once they were already airborne possibly

Its not a comparable situation to an every day job. If we sign good players we are fully aware that they are likely be called up by their national teams. Going forward very few top players would want to join us too
You are missing some of the context here, global pandemic and players fucking off to a RED list country making themselves illegible to play for a further 10 days minimum

Performance not that bad really, but we can't score to save our lives, absolutely toothless up front.

Just have to suffer through it, I do agree with the idea of sticking Kenny in and building for the better part of half a decade or more.

At least that keeper looks good

Just have to suffer through it, I do agree with the idea of sticking Kenny in and building for the better part of half a decade or more.

At least that keeper looks good

Yep, it's that or go back to caveman football. He's under pressure apparently if we lose this, names to replace him? Roy Keane, Robbie Keane, Damian Duff, Neil Lennon, Sam Allardyce

I think we'd be better off sticking with him.