The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 440 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m gonna abide by JPA‘s post, that this is the wrong thread now, so thanks to everyone for the great discussion, I really have enjoyed it, and it shows what a great site this is that we can all disagree but no one gets personal. Thanks guys n gals. Enjoy the break.
You smell.

I’m gonna abide by JPA‘s post, that this is the wrong thread now, so thanks to everyone for the great discussion, I really have enjoyed it, and it shows what a great site this is that we can all disagree but no one gets personal. Thanks guys n gals. Enjoy the break.

I disagree with you and you are clearly an idiot

:nerner:.

Lol

Because he isn't a midfielder - simple
I have defended Dean from the day he was appointed. He delivered what it says on the tin. However, watching our lightweight midfield wee after week overrun too often was a serious concern. Love his philosophy of attacking football but this Premier league is ruthless and a balance is required. We have had another close season to find a midfielder with the balls of an Ian T

Well Deano, you had one apparent tactic last season which was give it to Jack, and when he wasn't available the team looked clueless and couldn't buy a win, basically relegation form.

Well you'd better wise up quickly now he's gone and prove that you actually can coach and mould a team capable of winning games at this level.

You've said you're happy with the squad so no hiding behind Suso and other excuses either. This is your squad now so get on with it.

No pressure ;)

I've noticed over Deans' tenure (but particularly in the Premier League) that we tend to struggle against teams with basketball-size players like Watford, Brentford Brighton, etc who have the technique to suck the life out of a game (exactly like Brentford did second half) while Deano is left looking lost on the touchline struggling with what to tactically do or how to change it around and hopefully waiting for some sort of individual goal from someone rather than tactically readjusting to counter?

Just an observation;)

Last edited:
Well Deano, you had one apparent tactic last season which was give it to Jack, and when he wasn't available the team looked clueless and couldn't buy a win, basically relegation form.
You aren't allowed to mention the 2021 form mate ;)
anyway i think we are in for a bumpy few weeks as the fixtures look very tough.
I think we will see a better 2nd half of the season this time, who will be the manager though

Well you'd better wise up quickly now he's gone and prove that you actually can coach and mould a team capable of winning games at this level.

You've said you're happy with the squad so no hiding behind Suso and other excuses either. This is your squad now so get on with it.

No pressure ;)
I prefer to be more optimistic that he can find solutions but it's undeniable that he has a hell of a lot to do and this has not been helped by an all round dreadful preseason.

You aren't allowed to mention the 2021 form mate ;)
anyway i think we are in for a bumpy few weeks as the fixtures look very tough.
I think we will see a better 2nd half of the season this time, who will be the manager though
You had to mention it didn't you?:ban:

We'll definitely see what we're made of after the break, we were resilient against all of the big 6 last season, so that's the benchmark for me. If we can stay resilient we can definitely nick a goal or two - as we did last season. September is definitely squeaky bum time.

I've noticed over Deans' tenure (but particularly in the Premier League) that we tend to struggle against teams with basketball-size players like Watford, Brentford Brighton, etc who have the technique to suck the life out of a game (exactly like Brentford did second half) while Deano is left looking lost on the touchline struggling with what to tactically do or how to change it around and hopefully waiting for some sort of individual goal from someone rather than tactically readjusting to counter?

Just an observation;)

I think thats correlation without causation because all 3 of those teams play completely differently to us.

Watford try to outbattle you, hindsight would say he should have started Ramsey for his energy.
Brighton are excellently well drilled and organized. They have one of the best presses in the league. Brightons only basketball-sized lads are in the backline. Theyve had Lallana at CM FFS.
Brentford again arent exactly full of colossal players either but they're pretty organized.
Southampton are an example you didnt give, again full of energy and highly organized with a strong press.
Leeds again not very tall in MF but high energy and battling.

Beating the press is the problem we have and against some teams, having enough battle. Like Newcastle, Palace and Burnely have basketball teams but we've usually swept them aside.

We have a smaller midfield but we dont have a powder puff midfield, we have lads who do get stuck in. The problem is our inability to keep the ball. McGinn at a certain point in time needs to be on the bench because he simply cannot pass it 10 yards consistently.

I do 100% agree Dean has game management issues just not for the reasons you outlined.

I do have this deep feeling, maybe it’s after being so obsessed with villa for 40 years that you get such feelings for certain situations. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we are seeing the beginning of the end for Deano. It might not happen until next year or post season but we must remember he is well over the average tenure. It might be that after this season we both need to move on and freshen up the coaching and management. Not saying it’s what I want either. Sooner the better we get players back from injury etc and settle a side to find out .Early days but can’t get rid of the feeling that things are not quite right following the summer.

I do have this deep feeling, maybe it’s after being so obsessed with villa for 40 years that you get such feelings for certain situations. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we are seeing the beginning of the end for Deano. It might not happen until next year or post season but we must remember he is well over the average tenure. It might be that after this season we both need to move on and freshen up the coaching and management. Not saying it’s what I want either. Sooner the better we get players back from injury etc and settle a side to find out .Early days but can’t get rid of the feeling that things are not quite right following the summer.
i think the loss of he who can't be mentioned has hit us harder than expected or as hard as expected (depends on viewpoint). factor in the injuries and COVID and players putting country before club etc, the movements in coaches etc and its been a bumpy few weeks .
We've looked quite unfit though and under prepared which is 100% unacceptable at this level and with all the facilities they have . Watford A was shambolic.

Every year will also be even more pressure-filled than the previous too.

I don't get the impression our management will ever make a mid-season change unless it is absolutely essential. I am absolutely certain we wouldn't make any managerial change until each season is over.

I don't get the impression our management will ever make a mid-season change unless it is absolutely essential. I am absolutely certain we wouldn't make any managerial change until each season is over.

We will if we are in the crap.

Which we won’t be , obviously.
Gulp .

that's nonsense. A manager is only ever 7 or 8 games away from the axe

that's nonsense. A manager is only ever 7 or 8 games away from the axe

He was ripe for the sack the season we got promoted.

I am not saying they'd never do it or there would never be probable cause. I just think it is unlikely unless we're clearly diverging from where we should be with no hope of things changing. And honestly, EPL Season 1 with Deano at the helm looked like that for quite some time and he survived.

To me (and this is just a feeling) I believe there is a proper long-term plan in place and a short-term poor run of form isn't going to cause them to deviate. The club has made huge efforts to move away from a manager-based system toward a DoF/Coach system. That should limit a catastrophe if we did change coaches but I still believe you have to throw away elements of your plan when you sack the coach.

Sacking a manager could just as easily send you back 5 years as it can put you back on track or even accelerate progress.

He was ripe for the sack the season we got promoted.

I am not saying they'd never do it or there would never be probable cause. I just think it is unlikely unless we're clearly diverging from where we should be with no hope of things changing. And honestly, EPL Season 1 with Deano at the helm looked like that for quite some time and he survived.

To me (and this is just a feeling) I believe there is a proper long-term plan in place and a short-term poor run of form isn't going to cause them to deviate. The club has made huge efforts to move away from a manager-based system toward a DoF/Coach system. That should limit a catastrophe if we did change coaches but I still believe you have to throw away elements of your plan when you sack the coach.

Sacking a manager could just as easily send you back 5 years as it can put you back on track or even accelerate progress.
i think that is the key point. It makes a managerial change easier (in theory). I just sense it's coming unless results and league position are decent before January . We have owners who are serious players (allegedly) and they won't accept going backwards .

Status
Not open for further replies.