Barrow v Aston Villa Match Thread 24/8 7:45pm | Page 15 | Vital Football

Barrow v Aston Villa Match Thread 24/8 7:45pm

The ball for Archer's last goal was cheeky goodness.

I actually enjoyed an early round league cup game against lower league opposition! What's going on?!

It was a bit special.

Bidace is on my naughty step though. Needed him to score to win me £50 and he did everything but, and missed the sitter that Guilbert finally finished.

Archer did in 90 minutes what it's taken Keinan Davis 3 years and 40 games to do...... Score 3 goals.
Archer did nothing much at Solihull Moors 4 goals in 26 games. Suddenly gets picked for this game..talked after about something happening to him. Flash in the pan or something else? The chip for his second was sublime.

Our eldest grandson lives in Barrow! That is really all I have to say. Its a dump too. Should be a win providing we don't take it as given

A really pleasant night all round. Went as well as it could possibly have gone to be honest.

Totally professional performance from all involved. The more experienced heads kept it cool and that gave the youngsters the platform to shine. The back 5, Marvelous, Hourihane all excellent. El Ghazi doing what he does best. Sticking away penalties and back post finishes. 2 lovely assists as well.

The youngsters will get the headlines though. Chukwuemaka the younger and Philogene-Bidace I expected to do well and they didn't disappoint me. JPB has everything you want from a winger, should have scored himself though. Chukwuemaka looks a classy player. Both will get plenty of game time this season I reckon. Smith obviously has lots of faith in them.

The surprise for me was Archer. I must admit I thought he might be done after he did ok but nothing special at Solihull Moors last year. A couple of weeks ago he had Ings, Watkins, Wesley, Davis, Barry and Brad Young in front of him plus we'd just signed Chukwuemeka the elder who has been playing first team football in league 2. Now he's potentially looking at being on the bench Saturday after scoring a hat trick on his first start!! What a night for him. I can't remember a Villa player getting 3 on his first start, can any older villa fans remember such a thing happening?

I also like the look of Caleb Chukwuemeka. Tall, strong, quick and a good technique too. He'll do well. Aaron Ramsey looks ready for the first team already based on his cameo. A very confident performance from him, in particular where he spun the defender then pinged a perfect ball to Targett.

Great night. Some lovely goals and a glimpse of a potentially exciting future with some of the lads coming through. UTV

Never seen Archer as behind Barry and Brad Young; he's that bit older and has done his time out on loan, so has been a bit under the radar. He may only have scored 4 goals at Solihull Moors, but they thought well enough of him to extend the loan to a full season.

Archer looks a talent doesn't he. Pace to be burn and some cool finishing

This reminds me of how Rashford burst onto the scene at Man United.

Basically they had nobody else to pick coz of injuries and loans. He was their 4th or 5th choice youth striker at the time and got thrown in and grabbed his chance.

Similar story now for Archer. Interesting to see if Smith gets him involved more regularly now.