US Politics Thread | Page 641 | Vital Football

US Politics Thread

My heart is breaking for the Afghan people, specifically the women and children. I don’t think there is a good answer to this problem. No matter what decision was made there were going to be people who got their panties in a wad.

The only people criticising Biden for this are war fanatics and political opportunists.

Obama should have cut and run during his term but wouldn't because it would make him look weak.

Trump agreed to give Afghanistan back to the Taliban but didn't actually do it.

Biden did it and now it's done.

Fair play to Biden for putting morals ahead of politics.

The only people criticising Biden for this are war fanatics and political opportunists.

Obama should have cut and run during his term but wouldn't because it would make him look weak.

Trump agreed to give Afghanistan back to the Taliban but didn't actually do it.

Biden did it and now it's done.

Fair play to Biden for putting morals ahead of politics.
So Trump gets slated, but Biden goes ahead and does what Trump initiated and now its done, and he gets slated aswell.
Cant help but feel Trump would have been crucified as well if he had done it.
I remain to be convinced that any politician has any morals.

So Trump gets slated, but Biden goes ahead and does what Trump initiated and now its done, and he gets slated aswell.

I was very sceptical of Biden when he was elected but he hasn't put a foot wrong for me, yet.

Sleepy Joe is getting the job done.

As for Trump, he was right about China and a lot of US foreign policy. He was terrible on domestic policy. Swings and roundabouts, eh?

I was very sceptical of Biden when he was elected but he hasn't put a foot wrong for me, yet.

Sleepy Joe is getting the job done.

As for Trump, he was right about China and a lot of US foreign policy. He was terrible on domestic policy. Swings and roundabouts, eh?
I am not being critical of your post BB. I agree with it.
It is just that Trump gets slagged off by many, but in essence as you say two sides of the same coin on this one.

Of course he would, the left has to take a lot of responsibility for the doubt around vaccines. IMO everything is simply opportunistic political talk.

I heard absolutely zero about Afghanistan 2 weeks ago, maybe even a week ago. Look at the chatter in this forum, very little up until about 5 days ago. Its crazy.

I’m with wittonite on this, it isn’t as binary as Trump is bad, Biden is good. It’s probably that Biden is a lot less bad overall, depending on your point of view. I’m no trump supporter perhaps obviously, but I’m far from pro American full stop.

From what I’m reading on Sky News, the Yanks have their own citizens and army personnel in a very precarious situation right now. It feels like a complete clusterfuck at the moment with this withdrawal, it doesn’t feel like there has been any strategic thought with all this.

If I were military or an embassy worker in a dangerous country, I think I’d be having a look in the mirror, with how these politicians treat you like pawns in a big, bad game.

https://news.sky.com/story/afghanis...o-the-airport-defence-secretary-says-12384820

Last edited:
I’m with wittonite on this, it isn’t as binary as Trump is bad, Biden is good. It’s probably that Biden is a lot less bad overall, depending on your point of view. I’m no trump supporter perhaps obviously, but I’m far from pro American full stop.

From what I’m reading on Sky News, the Yanks have their own citizens and army personnel in a very precarious situation right now. It feels like a complete clusterfuck at the moment with this withdrawal, it doesn’t feel like there has been any strategic thought with all this.

If I were military or an embassy worker in a dangerous country, I think I’d be having a look in the mirror, with how these politicians treat you like pawns in a big, bad game.

https://news.sky.com/story/afghanis...o-the-airport-defence-secretary-says-12384820

I bought a very nice custom-made table off an American guy who was being sent to Afghanistan about 2 years ago. He worked at the embassy here. His wife and child were going back to Utah. I assumed that they were Mormans and he was CIA. Can you be a Morman and join the CIA?

Anyway, the table is beautiful and was dirt cheap.

The Taliban seem to have copped on that pissing off the Yanks is a terrible idea so they are on their best behaviour at the moment. Once the news cycle moves on, they can get back to their good, old-fashioned justice.

Last edited:
I've been reading up on Afghanistan this morning. It's fascinatingly unstable. They don't seem to be able to keep any government going for long. I guess, with such horrendous geography and a demographic split of almost exactly 50/50 between Pashtuns and others, it's easy for foreign influence to tip the balance one way or another.

The thought that Afghanistan would be at all stable was a myth. Obama knew, and so did Biden. The difference was, Biden was determined to bring troops home. too determined, maybe, but how many of us have called this a pointless war before?

They all knew the deadline of troop withdrawals, so why are people still there? Why did the military not organise an exodus? Surely that's their job?

Of course he would, the left has to take a lot of responsibility for the doubt around vaccines. IMO everything is simply opportunistic political talk.

I heard absolutely zero about Afghanistan 2 weeks ago, maybe even a week ago. Look at the chatter in this forum, very little up until about 5 days ago. Its crazy.
Yes absolutely, opportunistic political talk.
I listend to the sanctimonious Labour MPs in the debate yesterday, and never heard one single word acknowledging that it was Labour, Tony Blair, who took us into both Iraq and Afghanistan.
All I heard was a proccesion of MPs wanting to get in front of the cameras to be seen to be outdoing each other with regards to how many refugees they would take.
Virtue signalling at its worst.

it doesn’t feel like there has been any strategic thought with all this.
Spot on, and this is the really worrying bit.
This is the worlds most powerful nation, and it is almost an indentical situation to the scenes that I vividly remember of the US embassy in Saigon all those years ago.
For Biden to have referenced it two weeks earlier, that the same thing wasnt going to happen on his watch, and then it did, something is seriously wrong.

Spot on, and this is the really worrying bit.
This is the worlds most powerful nation, and it is almost an indentical situation to the scenes that I vividly remember of the US embassy in Saigon all those years ago.
For Biden to have referenced it two weeks earlier, that the same thing wasnt going to happen on his watch, and then it did, something is seriously wrong.
There are implementation details that appear to be going badly wrong. The idea is fine, but Biden has to own his role in the chaos rather than consistently passing the buck.

I'm sure certain individuals would be jumping all over this if Trump had had the balls to withdraw with the same chaos ensuing.

There are implementation details that appear to be going badly wrong. The idea is fine, but Biden has to own his role in the chaos rather than consistently passing the buck.

I'm sure certain individuals would be jumping all over this if Trump had had the balls to withdraw with the same chaos ensuing.
Yes, as posted earlier it would have fitted with certain peoples narrative if Trump had done it.
He, Biden, stood up and gave a speech to the effect that the buck stopped with him, and then promptly blamed everyone else in the rest of the speech.
Its so worrying that none of the major intelligence organisations throughout the world saw what was comming.
It does make you wonder if Americas intel people did see it comming but for whatever reason chose to leave this way, to maybe embarrass Biden.
Who knows what goes on at these levels of politics.

Well, that's the funny thing, isn't it. The very people who are criticising Biden for "abandoning Afghanistan" are the same pricks who were lauding Trump for agreeing to "abandon Afghanistan".