Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 104 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

He’ll have got his 5 grand back. Very grateful for his financial contribution but looking forward he’s too much of a disruptive influence and would rather look elsewhere. Plus his wages certainly won’t be cheap.

McClean is a funny one at his age, as we have so many attacking mids. But if the link is true i have a suspicion that we'd not be looking at him for left mid, but looking at him for potential left back competition.

The way we attack from full back, we need our full backs to be very attack minded and converting a midfielder into that role does make sense in that regard.

But we have Pearce and neither Pearce nor McClean would be happy to sit on the bench, so unless we are looking at selling Pearce (why would we want to?) i'm not sure it fits.

Nixon is probably that that we have been offered him, but i imagine the wages would be pretty decent and i'm not convinced it would be the best use of the budget when we still need players in other positions.

Dunkley or Wright is an interesting one. Personally, I'd put them on a par but in different ways. Dunkley is a brilliant old school CB. Big strong lad, good 'stopper', great in the air. Ball skills leave a lot to be desired... Wright probably isn't as good at that old school CB thing, but seems much more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Imho, Wright is better suited to how we play than Dunkley. He'd be another top drawer signing if we can make it happen, that's for sure.

Last edited:
McClean would be top class at this level. That both benefits us, but would also benefit our rivals if they got hold of him.
My concern is if we see him as a winger then we're already heavy in that department. The ability to reshuffle the likes of Lang and Humphreys to the centre will push Aasgaard further down the pecking order. If we see him as a full back, the same happens with Robinson. There was very little to celebrate last year, but the development of our young lads was a joy to watch. I just hope we don't crowd them out this year

TBH Kendal I doubt we will have a big enough squad to crowd them out I'm sure they will be involved in what's going to be a long season.

McCleans politics are questionable to say the least, but i wouldn't criticise him for not wearing the poppy as where he comes from the Poppy has political connotations that i don't think it does over here. McClean made a good statement explaining this when he was here that i thought was where he should've left it.

I can understand when you are getting abuse it's hard to ignore it, but in his situation McClean really probably needed to be off social media and not add any fuel to the fire. But he has often made thing far worse for himself by responding to criticism over his politics on social media where he has seemingly played up the IRA supporter accusations to try and wind up his critics.

I don't know if he's genuinely pro IRA or if he's just making some ill advised attempts to troll his haters or somewhere in between. But football, politics and social media are a terrible mix and McClean is proof of that.

If the management and recruitment department believe he can help us succeed and they bring him back - he's a Wigan player and i will support him like any other player while he's on the pitch representing our club if he's working hard.

His perception is already out there and you can't help that but I would hope he is a little older and wiser now and would avoid making himself or the club look bad on social media.

But i'm not convinced it will happen to be honest, if he was a right back, centre half or central mid then maybe it could make sense but as a left winger or left back i don't think he fits into the squad.

No point of signing him whatsoever if he doesn't get a free run to run at defenders and put crosses in and we have Jones and Massey to do that if Leam comes to try that out.

In all honesty I dont really think it matters what he says in his private life as long as he does a job on the football pitch? Carl Bradshaw was an ex prisoner, yet he did a good solid job for us.

Bradshaw was a cracking signing. Always used to be the last one getting picked up by a taxi at the bottom of King Street after a night out for some reason. Even the MFI shuffle didn't bring him any joy.

McCleans politics are questionable to say the least, but i wouldn't criticise him for not wearing the poppy as where he comes from the Poppy has political connotations that i don't think it does over here. McClean made a good statement explaining this when he was here that i thought was where he should've left it.

I can understand when you are getting abuse it's hard to ignore it, but in his situation McClean really probably needed to be off social media and not add any fuel to the fire. But he has often made thing far worse for himself by responding to criticism over his politics on social media where he has seemingly played up the IRA supporter accusations to try and wind up his critics.

I don't know if he's genuinely pro IRA or if he's just making some ill advised attempts to troll his haters or somewhere in between. But football, politics and social media are a terrible mix and McClean is proof of that.

If the management and recruitment department believe he can help us succeed and they bring him back - he's a Wigan player and i will support him like any other player while he's on the pitch representing our club if he's working hard.

His perception is already out there and you can't help that but I would hope he is a little older and wiser now and would avoid making himself or the club look bad on social media.

But i'm not convinced it will happen to be honest, if he was a right back, centre half or central mid then maybe it could make sense but as a left winger or left back i don't think he fits into the squad.

If McClean were to sign, would it be too bad to loan Robinson out so he can get consistent starter game time somewhere else? I get that someone like McClean isn't a priority with the other gaps in the squad, but Pearce is the only left footed player that can put a good cross in the entire team... and he's been quite unfortunate with injuries, so someone as good as him to rely on would be really good (and Robinson isn't that someone, yet).

Won't talk politics, I just find it rather unfortunate that they are usually linked to football...