2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 119 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

Rubbish - a ludicrously high risk strategy is panic buying above asking price and paying daft wages, specifically to over the hill journeymen.
That is a total logical fallacy OKD. Trying to denigrate one high risk strategy by comparing it to another isn't even an argument. Both strategies are high risk and undesirable, and surely neither constitute the only possible things we could have tried.

As posted above - we have to balance the books, we have to move players on that contribute nothing - especially in the current economic environment.

We have moved on players that contributed around 40% of our shockingly low goals total last season, as well as 9 assists. We have replaced them with nothing more than hope and faith. I don't apologise for lacking either.

If we are broke, I can live with that. But ultimately, this world is all about the people who come up with solutions Vs those that don't. Our previous model of loaning from Greek clubs can no longer work, and they have known that for some time. We needed to plan to have a better squad as a starting point given those difficulties.

I don't deny that we need additions, but so do many other clubs - the nucleus of the squad is good - Brennan & Gabriel enhance that -hope so does Carvalho.

A fully fit Lolley & Colback add to that too.

There is no such thing as a fully fit Colback. He has barely played in two seasons.

Fitness isn't necessarily Lolley's problem either; it is form and ability. We know what he can do and what he can't do. He can score from outside the box. He can't reliably put a sweet ball into the box, nor will he get in the box himself to score. That's fine as long as you've got other people who will do those things. Last season, and the one before, we didnt. What's changed?

I don't share your pessimistic outlook, yes the squad needs work - but, I'm very confident CH & co will get the quality additions needed - just need patience.

I am not confident in.the least that forest will get the additions needed, quality or otherwise. There simply isn't time and too much has been left to do. Even if we were to get all the currently known targets, we would still be left with gaping squad holes and a squad size not remotely sufficient to cope with a 48 game season.

On top of that, our failure in the market already and our disaster of a pre-season has ensured that we have basically written off the first four games and we'll be delighted with whatever palfry points we might be able to scrape from them, if any. We have recent experience of how well that sets you up for the season ahead.

As for patience, that is utterly irrelevant given that I have absolutely no role in the procurement process, nor any communication with the club. Whether I sit here not giving a shit, or jump about for the next 30 days in a frustrated rage will not have the slightest impact on anything forest do or don't do.

The forum is therefore the perfect place for me to say what I think, with patience having no bearing on it

I imagine we know about those three as the selling club wants to try and drum up some kind of bidding war and has said we are miles off the mark. Where were the reports that we were in for Horvath?
By that token, where are the actual signings then?

If we are dealing with only things we 100% know for sure, all we 100% know is that forest have done sod all in terms of completing signings.

If we are dealing with only things we 100% know for sure, all we 100% know is that forest have done sod all in terms of completing signings.
We 100% know that we signed a player that no one had any leaked info about.
unless you have knowledge from within the club you cannot say we only have 3 potential signings and are miles away from all of them.

We 100% know that we signed a player that no one had any leaked info about.
unless you have knowledge from within the club you cannot say we only have 3 potential signings and are miles away from all of them.
That is what has come out of the media.

That is information that has been passed to them by one of the clubs involved, or by an agent. Either way, it is significantly more information than either you or I are ever going to be privy to.

Your vague hopes and faith do not necessarily trump the information that is out in the media.

Again, if you are going to be like that, the only 100% fact that we know is that we have done fuck all business so far, at least for outfield players.

That is what has come out of the media.

That is information that has been passed to them by one of the clubs involved, or by an agent. Either way, it is significantly more information than either you or I are ever going to be privy to.

Your vague hopes and faith do not necessarily trump the information that is out in the media.

Again, if you are going to be like that, the only 100% fact that we know is that we have done fuck all business so far, at least for outfield players.
The media will only report on what they have been told as you say, their information will be given to them for a reason, as I said before probably to try and instigate a bidding war to make it harder for us to get the bargain we all want.
I have no inside info but I’m not at your wrist slashing level of optimism with the potential of making signings that we have no idea about.
I don’t think we knew anything about garner signing either?

The media will only report on what they have been told as you say, their information will be given to them for a reason, as I said before probably to try and instigate a bidding war to make it harder for us to get the bargain we all want.
I have no inside info but I’m not at your wrist slashing level of optimism with the potential of making signings that we have no idea about.
I don’t think we knew anything about garner signing either?
I will rejoice at the signings when we know about them then.

But I won't be counting them in the squad until they happen.

With 30 days to go, they haven't.

If I thought this current squad could survive in this division on its own it would be different. It would be disappointment and frustration at failing to push on.

Bit I don't believe at all that this current squad could survive.

They scored the same number of points as the squad that stayed up on goal difference. But I think this is a weaker squad than that one in attack, by some way. Strong in defence, but half of that good defence has been torn out.

And now we have lost the sources of 40% of that miserable goal tally of last year.

There are only four teams still in this division who finished below us. All have added players to their squad, bar one (Derby). None have lost as many first team players as we have, to my knowledge, bar Derby.

I believe all three promoted sides would have beaten us the way we played at the end of the season. I do not currently see three of the sides that finished around us that are likely to be worse than us this season; I see one (Derby).

So yeah, that's why I'm not a cool cat at the moment. We aren't in a position to just shrug our shoulders if the highly dubious recruitment team (who have performed woefully in the last 3 windows) fail yet again; if they fail, we'll go down in my opinion.

I do not want to be a League 1 fan again. I look at Sunderland and 100% see us, because all the spriteliness and pluck of this club has gone. We just aren't a club that would come straight back up anymore

How do you know they have done sod all. For all we know they could have loads of players lined up behind the scenes with plan A B and C if they are not signed at earmarked price. Would you prefer negotiating via loudhailer.

I will rejoice at the signings when we know about them then.

But I won't be counting them in the squad until they happen.

With 30 days to go, they haven't.

If I thought this current squad could survive in this division on its own it would be different. It would be disappointment and frustration at failing to push on.

Bit I don't believe at all that this current squad could survive.

They scored the same number of points as the squad that stayed up on goal difference. But I think this is a weaker squad than that one in attack, by some way. Strong in defence, but half of that good defence has been torn out.

And now we have lost the sources of 40% of that miserable goal tally of last year.

There are only four teams still in this division who finished below us. All have added players to their squad, bar one (Derby). None have lost as many first team players as we have, to my knowledge, bar Derby.

I believe all three promoted sides would have beaten us the way we played at the end of the season. I do not currently see three of the sides that finished around us that are likely to be worse than us this season; I see one (Derby).

So yeah, that's why I'm not a cool cat at the moment. We aren't in a position to just shrug our shoulders if the highly dubious recruitment team (who have performed woefully in the last 3 windows) fail yet again; if they fail, we'll go down in my opinion.

I do not want to be a League 1 fan again. I look at Sunderland and 100% see us, because all the spriteliness and pluck of this club has gone. We just aren't a club that would come straight back up anymore

Of the four clubs who have added to the squad, is there one player you would have in our squad.

How do you know they have done sod all. For all we know they could have loads of players lined up behind the scenes with plan A B and C if they are not signed at earmarked price. Would you prefer negotiating via loudhailer.
You are spectacularly missing the point of the discussion, which was that posters can't have it both ways; you can't dismiss absolutely anything put out in the media as false because it can't be verified, whilst then debating on the basis of even less factual hopes and dreams

We are debating. Don't mistake vociferousness for antagonism or anger. I'll argue my case forcefully; that doesn't mean I'm having a go or not respecting your opinion
I'm not arguing & have every respect for your opinion & not mistaking anything for anything, just that I know you like things to be accurate and you said the club had done "sod all in terms of completing signings" which doesn't fit that criteria as they have completed a signing even if it was a rather underwhelming one.

Utterly irrelevant.

There are more than four by a long way by the way.

But your point is irrelevant and, once again, completely missed the point I am making.
Our squad, in my opinion, is not one of the 3 weakest in the division. Our squad last year woefully underperformed, so comparing what we have left, to last years actual performances (not on paper) we are stronger (Garner apart, yet he may come back)
Knocks, Krov, Sami, contributed nothing but inconsistency, so like some others on here, a fully fit Lolley, continued progression from Mighten, plus Brennan and Carv will not regress against the actual output from those I just mentioned.

Right Back, based on new year onwards we are weaker. But Gabriel has promise. Need another in here.
Left back - Certainly weaker
Garner - Could be back

Derby, Blackpool, Luton, Millwall, Peterborough, Preston should be weaker than us. We may start poorly, and hopefully not with 4 straight losses, but as others have pointed out, in 30 days we will know where we stand. I hope we have 6/7 points by then, and look forward from Sept on.

Our squad, in my opinion, is not one of the 3 weakest in the division. Our squad last year woefully underperformed, so comparing what we have left, to last years actual performances (not on paper) we are stronger (Garner apart, yet he may come back)
Knocks, Krov, Sami, contributed nothing but inconsistency, so like some others on here, a fully fit Lolley, continued progression from Mighten, plus Brennan and Carv will not regress against the actual output from those I just mentioned.

Right Back, based on new year onwards we are weaker. But Gabriel has promise. Need another in here.
Left back - Certainly weaker
Garner - Could be back

Derby, Blackpool, Luton, Millwall, Peterborough, Preston should be weaker than us. We may start poorly, and hopefully not with 4 straight losses, but as others have pointed out, in 30 days we will know where we stand. I hope we have 6/7 points by then, and look forward from Sept on.
You say the players who left contributed nothing but inconsistency.

What did the ones who are here contribute?

Aside from McKenna and Worrall?

The ones left contributed even less than that.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to believe that three teams (Preston, Milwall, Luton) who finished comfortably above us, and who comfortably beat us last season should suddenly be worse than us. What is your evidence for that?

We have two teenagers at fullback, one of which isn't actually considered all that good.

We are relying in midfield on two more teenagers, and we really have no one in back up to replace them other than two overseas players who have utterly failed in both this country and on loan abroad.

Why on earth would any of those sides, other than Derby, be worse than this squad?

Where are you seeing the sudden upturn in skill and form from a bunch of players who were breathtakingly shite last season?

Let's face it, we may have scored the same number of points as the team that survived on goal difference; but that was a better team than last year's, and last year's was a massively better and more complete squad than what we have now