2021 Summer Transfer Thread | Page 117 | Vital Football

2021 Summer Transfer Thread

Just makes decisions to release the likes of Ameobi without much bother even more frustrating and baffling.

I did like Sammy but he could blow hot and cold. Keeping him would have blocked Mighten and Johnson’s path and if reports are to be believed Zinkleman is sorted, Watford just need replacement. Releases his wages to supplement additions elsewhere. Only becomes frustrating and baffling if we fail to bring in players in areas we know are weak.

calm down, calm down, everything comes to he who waits & everything will be fine, not saying for a minute we'll get everyone we want, but have faith in our new recruitment team to make a decent job of it. I would imagine that as a club we are better placed than many.

Agreed, I think we may be better off than the average Championship club. Our owner looks as though he's prepared to put his cash where his mouth is, new recruitment team in operation and a coach with a decent reputation. And so far as I'm concerned he did the job he was hired to do last season, kept us up.
Wouldn't surprise me if we ended up with a reasonably decent team for the season.

That makes at least two optimists on here tonight.

:cowboy:

Garner was amazing… for us. In our worst-performing team for years. Would love to have him back but can’t help but it feel it was a lot easier to stand out in our absolute shower than at a good team like say - Watford. Where he was pretty anonymous.

United will probably be thinking that if he tears it up in the championship, he could be worth 8-10 mill for them. I don’t think they’re really entertaining the idea that he could make it into their first team when they have Van de Beek already warming the bench.

..and incomings

I did like Sammy but he could blow hot and cold. Keeping him would have blocked Mighten and Johnson’s path and if reports are to be believed Zinkleman is sorted, Watford just need replacement. Releases his wages to supplement additions elsewhere. Only becomes frustrating and baffling if we fail to bring in players in areas we know are weak.

I don't think Ameobi was even a 50/50 man.

Do you know who their core targets are and if so what is the fee they are willing to pay? I certainly don’t, so this would be most enlightening.
Of course we do.

We know that Fleming, Buchanan and Kuvenovic are core targets.

Are you disputing this, given we have bid for all three?

It is widely reported that the club remain some way apart on our valuation of two of them. Do you know more than the entirety of the sports media? If you do that would be most enlightening

calm down, calm down, everything comes to he who waits & everything will be fine, not saying for a minute we'll get everyone we want, but have faith in our new recruitment team to make a decent job of it. I would imagine that as a club we are better placed than many.
I have zero faith in anyone connected with Nottingham Forest now. That is built on hard experience.

Absolutely fuck all comes to he who waits at forest- that is based on hard experience too. I cannot think of a single example off the top of my head where forest have initiated a summer-long persuit of any really good player and then got their man at the end.

What am I, as a fan, waiting for anyway? Other than to be entertained by our players, which hasn't happened for over 18 months and only very, very rarely in the last decade.

Just makes decisions to release the likes of Ameobi without much bother even more frustrating and baffling.

We did not release Ameobi - he was offered a contract and declined it - end of story! Decent squad player, frustratingly disinterested at times, fantastic at others - if a player wants to move (like Yuri) and has run his contract down - nothing we can do about it!

Would you rather us try to keep the other deadwood out of contract players - just to fill the squad too?

Like every other club, we have to balance the books - we have Bong, Arter, Bach & Jenkinson on around £80 - £90k per week between them - all in the bomb squad.

To bring players in, we had to move some on - still a work in progress but basic economics appear to be beyond many because we aren't panic buying!

I don’t like to be negative about a new season before it has even started, but I can’t see how we’re going to even stay above the water-line at the moment. Even if we improve this weak squad, we’re putting tremendous pressure on the new guys to hit the ground running - possibly after a poor start to the season if they come in late in the month.

We have no senior full-backs at the club (Bong doesn’t count), a midfield of very similar types of player (no natural pace or width), and an old strike force that really struggled last season. I think it’s the lack of width that is really going to kill us, so much of the modern game is about explosivity in the turnover of possession. Our pedestrian counters mean that our fairly decent defence has to work too much, too often, and often with no goals in our own column to help out.

At the moment, the best we can hope for is grinding out 0-0s and 1-0s because we have all the flair and vigour of magnolia paint.

Just because most deals will be done late on doesn't mean

a) there will be many of them or
b) Forest will get any, or at least any that they want.

No one is going to panic at any stage, but the reality is that it is unlikely the current squad is good enough to compete in the championship, even on a survival level, especially with injuries, suspensions etc. As of nearly August, nothing has been done to remedy that.

32 days of the window to go is nothing. Forest are miles off agreeing a fee for their core targets. They haven't attempted any of the vital squad filler signings to insulate us from the injuries etc that we know full well we'll experience. Nothing has been done to at least put us on a base from which we could be confident of survival, before making the signings that would then push us further.

It's a ludicrously high risk strategy.

If I were an outsider looking in, I would assume two things;

1) Forest are in big financial trouble, have made cuts accordingly and can't afford to even be in the market (I suspect in reality this isn't the case)

2) I would be putting a quiet tenner on forest to go down. Probably a double with Derby.

Rubbish - a ludicrously high risk strategy is panic buying above asking price and paying daft wages, specifically to over the hill journeymen.

As posted above - we have to balance the books, we have to move players on that contribute nothing - especially in the current economic environment.

I don't deny that we need additions, but so do many other clubs - the nucleus of the squad is good - Brennan & Gabriel enhance that -hope so does Carvalho.

A fully fit Lolley & Colback add to that too.

I don't share your pessimistic outlook, yes the squad needs work - but, I'm very confident CH & co will get the quality additions needed - just need patience.

Absolutely fuck all comes to he who waits at forest- that is based on hard experience too. I cannot think of a single example off the top of my head where forest have initiated a [B said:
summer-long[/B] persuit of any really good player and then got their man at the end.

Verhoek

Of course we do.

It is widely reported that the club remain some way apart on our valuation of two of them. Do you know more than the entirety of the sports media? If you do that would be most enlightening

The Croatian turned us down, thinking he'd get betters terms/offers - we stood our ground.

He had a change of heart 'apparently' but his agent is touting him around other clubs still..... see latest news on 'other' interested clubs.

If he doesn't want to join, then move on.

Buchanon - different mechanics involved due to the fact it involves Derby, Lee will not sign a new contract & has told the club, he wants to move he has made that clear to them - whether that be to Forest or elsewhere... but Derby hold his contract and really don't want to sell him to us.

Derby have to sell players to be able to sign their 'free agents', but they don't want to sell one of their best prospects to us.

Fleming is valued at c£1.5m - his club want £3.5m - we revised our offer & terms of the deal - they want more - even the player is quoted as saying that the price they are asking for is too much.

We cannot just meet their asking price, because if we do - we'll end up doing it for every player - in business, you have to negotiate and it has to be to Forest's benefit too!

I have zero faith in anyone connected with Nottingham Forest now. That is built on hard experience.

Absolutely fuck all comes to he who waits at forest- that is based on hard experience too. I cannot think of a single example off the top of my head where forest have initiated a summer-long persuit of any really good player and then got their man at the end.

What am I, as a fan, waiting for anyway? Other than to be entertained by our players, which hasn't happened for over 18 months and only very, very rarely in the last decade.

You perhaps ought to watch Notts?

Of course we do.

I imagine we know about those three as the selling club wants to try and drum up some kind of bidding war and has said we are miles off the mark. Where were the reports that we were in for Horvath?

I don’t like to be negative about a new season before it has even started, but I can’t see how we’re going to even stay above the water-line at the moment. Even if we improve this weak squad, we’re putting tremendous pressure on the new guys to hit the ground running - possibly after a poor start to the season if they come in late in the month.

We have no senior full-backs at the club (Bong doesn’t count), a midfield of very similar types of player (no natural pace or width), and an old strike force that really struggled last season. I think it’s the lack of width that is really going to kill us, so much of the modern game is about explosivity in the turnover of possession. Our pedestrian counters mean that our fairly decent defence has to work too much, too often, and often with no goals in our own column to help out.

At the moment, the best we can hope for is grinding out 0-0s and 1-0s because we have all the flair and vigour of magnolia paint.

We'll see when the season starts - biggest impact is lack of match fitness due to covid.

If Hughton can get Brennan & Carvalho firing, with Lolley & Mighten - that is a much more attacking and pacy threat than we had.

Taylor & Grabban are both experienced players, far from over the hill.... our biggest area of weakness is full backs - but, we do need more depth to the squad.