Stadium is looking shabby | Page 8 | Vital Football

Stadium is looking shabby

I've said it before but surely the rugby having their own facility away from the ground to sell food and drink is a breach of their contract with the stadium owners?
As far as I know this didn't happen when the Whelan family were in charge. Just when the Chinese crooks took over and they took their eye off the ball.

I've said it before but surely the rugby having their own facility away from the ground to sell food and drink is a breach of their contract with the stadium owners?
As far as I know this didn't happen when the Whelan family were in charge. Just when the Chinese crooks took over and they took their eye off the ball.
Correct though if Wigan Council hadn't given em Robin Park for nowt it wouldn't be an issue !

In (weak) defence of Greenalls and Burtonwoods ….their standard fare was indeed bordering on ‘unsuppable’…..however if you were able to chance on ‘Festival’ and ‘Top Hat’ respectively …you could (on occasion) be pleasantly surprised.

It's a wonder any of us oldies ever managed to get pissed with the amount of shit ale there was back in the day!!!

It took plenty of practice ... and commitment.
:cool:
It was Whitbread in The Windmill, 1 star, Thwaites in The Brown Cow, 5 stars, and Bass Charrington at Park Hall, 0 stars.
I can't remember what it was in the Bowling Green back then, but it would guess at Bass with John Rigby owning it then.
Its no wonder we used to mix a can of Barley Wine with our beer.
NB Thwaites in The Brown Cow was decent but it was soured by Tom the landlord, what a grumpy owd git he was.
I remember the first time I went to Malham or the Lakes and had proper beer like Theakstons, 10 stars or Jennings, 10 stars, it was/is so different to the rubbish we were being forced to drink. I soon turned to Guiness in the village to get away from the fizzy froth they palmed off as beer.

Bottom Farmers - Whitbread
Anchor - Matthew Brown ...... which meant they had John Peel :cheers:
Top Farmers - can't remember .......... but they used to have guest beers on
Don't think th' Insti had opened before you left. One of the lagers they used to have on in the early days was Warsteiner ! :wack:

Bottom Farmers - Whitbread
Anchor - Matthew Brown ...... which meant they had John Peel :cheers:
Top Farmers - can't remember .......... but they used to have guest beers on
Don't think th' Insti had opened before you left. One of the lagers they used to have on in the early days was Warsteiner ! :wack:

Is Warsteiner that cloudy lager, or was the pint had that gave me the shits off?
John Peel was drinkable, but the rest of Matthew Brown ale was akin to Bass Charrington.
I rememer having a pint of Lion Ale somewhere once, it tasted like soap.

Nah, Warsteiner shouldn't be cloudy ............. that's (normally) wheatbeer, like Hoegarden.

Agree re Matt Brown (& Lion as it was) normal shite.

Didn't they have Boddies in t' Cobblers?

Nah, Warsteiner shouldn't be cloudy ............. that's (normally) wheatbeer, like Hoegarden.

Agree re Matt Brown (& Lion as it was) normal shite.

Didn't they have Boddies in t' Cobblers?
Hoegarden, thats the one.
Yeah it was Boddingtons in the Cobblers and that was a big improvement on Whitbread and Bass, quite similar to Thwaites if I remember.

Boddie‘s was poor….unless….you supped it in Manchester….different drink

Thank God for Tetley’s generally in the 70’s….but there again it was a good bit better still over in ‘Sheepshire’

Worthington ’E’ ….barely passable ….

”Whitbread big head …Trophy Bitter….the pint that thinks it’s a quart“ Hmmmm 🤨

Double Diamond didn’t ‘work wonders’….Watney’s Red Barrel …oh no

Holt’s Bitter ….smelled like sick, but weirdly tasted pretty good

Skol/Slalom/Harp lagers, interchangeable yellow fizz

They don’t know they’re born these days ….all that said with notable exceptions like Thwaites Theakstons, Tim Taylor’s and the magnificent Moorhouse’s …..there’s too much obsession with craft or ‘extra hopped’ pale ales and the like ….all over hopped shyte …..if I wanted alcoholic ‘grapefruitade’ I’d ask for it.

Sorry, notable mentions for local brewers in Wigan, Warrington (Coach House) and one or two from B****n 😳

Very valid points re both Tetleys and Boddies there Zeb.

Personally, I like the extra hopped, but I know what you mean.

Couple of additional decent local(ish) ales ... Walkers (Warrington) and Higsons (Liverpool).

Very valid points re both Tetleys and Boddies there Zeb.

Personally, I like the extra hopped, but I know what you mean.

Couple of additional decent local(ish) ales ... Walkers (Warrington) and Higsons (Liverpool).
Walkers was always a nice pint in the seventies and eighties certainly in the Springfield, the only pub in Wigan that I recall being Higsons was what was called The Blood Tub in Ashton.
I did like Boddies, Gerrard Arms Aspull and The Bridge Horwich always served a good pint, whatever you do don't be tempted to buy Boddies in cans or draught, since they shut the Manc brewery and moved production to Magor and Salmesbury it's taste is unlike any beer that I've ever tasted and I don't mean that in a good way, thanks to the bean counters what was the second or third most popular bitter in the country is almost unheard of now.

..there’s too much obsession with craft or ‘extra hopped’ pale ales and the like

I disagree. There’s a vast array of independent breweries these days with a great range of beers on offer. Seeking out a decent real ale pub and sampling their wares is joy that’s been missed these last 18 months.