Preseason Fixtures | Page 26 | Vital Football

Preseason Fixtures

Yes not worth panicking about and changing our transfer policy over. Yesterday wouldn't have changed anything.

Smith often talks of 2 players for each position. The first two training games have tended to show which two are being eyed for which, subject to the several absentees returning. Nowhere clearer in this thinking is up top, where its Watkins or the other two. Wesley has shown he isn't ready mentally or physically so time to mix it up seems likely. No sign yet of Barry or Jones. Which could get the nod? My guess Barry is the closest based on similarities with Watkins but Jones looks a real handful in a different way. Be interesting to see the team for the next warm up.

I know these are pre-season friendlies, but while we were huffing a puffing to a 2-0 defeat by Stoke City, West Ham were beating Celtic 6-2......

Just sayin'.

The worrying thing about yesterday for me was not the defeat but the fact that we could not even score despite having Emi B and Ollie.

Smith often talks of 2 players for each position. The first two training games have tended to show which two are being eyed for which, subject to the several absentees returning. Nowhere clearer in this thinking is up top, where its Watkins or the other two. Wesley has shown he isn't ready mentally or physically so time to mix it up seems likely. No sign yet of Barry or Jones. Which could get the nod? My guess Barry is the closest based on similarities with Watkins but Jones looks a real handful in a different way. Be interesting to see the team for the next warm up.

Jones ?? I think Brad Young is closer than both of them tbh.

I thought it was hilarious the clamour on here and elsewhere for Louie Barry last season, now he's hardly mentioned. Typical overreaction from football fans.
I'm glad Dean runs the team and not some fans
Absolutely. And I include myself in that.

I thought it was hilarious the clamour on here and elsewhere for Louie Barry last season, now he's hardly mentioned. Typical overreaction from football fans.
Barry actually seems quite far off the first team considering Chukwuemeka, Bidace, A Ramsey, and a couple of the defenders have been given decent game time in the friendlies. The first two also making their PL debuts. Kesler has also been on the bench in the PL.

Maybe there’s concerns about his physicality, he’s pretty small for a professional footballer he’d have to almost be twice as good as the others to compensate

Barry actually seems quite far off the first team considering Chukwuemeka, Bidace, A Ramsey, and a couple of the defenders have been given decent game time in the friendlies. The first two also making their PL debuts. Kesler has also been on the bench in the PL.

Maybe there’s concerns about his physicality, he’s pretty small for a professional footballer he’d have to almost be twice as good as the others to compensate

The first thing you notice with him is how small and lightweight he is. I think the fact that he scored against Liverpool and he came from the Barca academy etc goes to people brains. He might make a Marc Albrighton type of winger I think, perhaps for us or at least for anther club.
Doesn't appear to be in the first team thinking this season Like Chuk and Kestler the Ramseys' etc.

Ever thus 57.

If we are relying on or giving anything more than cameos to thr likes of Chuck, either Ramsey , the unpronounceable one , Kesler , Barry etc then we are in a bad place .

I never pay much heed to friendlies, rarely can be arsed to watch them let alone worry about the results. All about fitness and match time. Fine, always prefer a win, winning is a great habit, but totally chilled.

Ever thus 57.

If we are relying on or giving anything more than cameos to the likes of Chuck, either Ramsey, the unpronounceable one, Kesler, Barry etc then we are in a bad place.

Friendlies probably being the best place to try out kids with the first-team squad
I'm fairly confident that despite what we may all want to see that most of those kids won't be playing for Villa in the future, it's the law of averages. The best of them will rise to the top regardless of the vast majority or 90% of them won't make the grade either with us or another big club.
Unless of course, we've suddenly unearthed 6 Jack Grealish level players in one batch and we really are better than any other club in the world at finding talent.

Anyway friendlies are a waste of time unless you are winning the of course

We only signed him last year. Has he shrunk since then?

Louie Barry will need to fill out and find a lot more strength to make it. At 5’10 (according to Google) he’s a decent height, but far too lightweight at the moment.

Brad Young is around 5’8 again according to Google. Unless he’s super quick, he’ll have to compensate with his goalscoring ability similar to Kevin Philips say.

I obviously hope they both make it, however the chances are they’ll make it in the lower leagues - which to even get to that level is very strong in the game.