Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news | Page 81 | Vital Football

Summer transfers rumours, speculation, news

An unglamorous club like Burnley were sold not so long ago at 200m+ due to being in the Premier League. If anyone wants to buy a Prem club now your chances of making a return on investment is very tough as a business and if you want to buy a toy it's a huge initial outlay due to the initial buying price. But if you can buy a L1 or Championship club for 3.5m quid and you have the ambition and right people in place you can probably get to the Prem for a fraction of the cost of buying a club already there.

We made a profit insome of the Prem years under Whelan when the tv revenue was about a quarter of what it is now, so the argument in the game today is always if you are willing to speculate to accumulate there is the potential for a huge reward.

I'm not suggesting the rights or wrongs of any approach but i don't think that Phoenix or anyone else (outside fans who probably couldn't afford to run the club) would have bought us if they were happy to stay in L1.
Good point well made 👍

Maybe I've missed it but has there been any update on the Scarlet Pimpernel Massey or will our largest wage earner spend the ridiculously contracted extension year with the physios and medical team ?

Maybe I've missed it but has there been any update on the Scarlet Pimpernel Massey or will our largest wage earner spend the ridiculously contracted extension year with the physios and medical team ?

Richardson said he has made the call to carefully manage his training to ensure when he comes back he will be at his best and won't break down again. Not sure when he is due to be available to play though.

Bailey Wright not in Sunderland friendly squad. No word on if he's injured or it's due to potential move.

Someone said rumour at Sunderland end was they've agreed to sign a new CB in principle but the selling club want to bring in a replacement before sanctioning the move. After Sunderland get their new CB Wright will be allowed to leave. No idea if it's true inside info but even if it's a guess it's probably not far off. As it looks like the owners want to move him on but they are already short of defenders so probably won't let him go until they get some in first.

Nixon in the paper saying we are 'sorting terms' with Bailey Wright - no mention of a fee so I am wondering if they are letting him go on a free. That was a rumour i read earlier in the summer from the Sunderland end.

'Wright could fancy the move if he gets the right length of contract, - which indicates he's probably after 3 years when we've mostly been giving out 2. He turns 29 this week so he probably wants a deal that will see him through to 32. For the length of contract and decent wage I can't see us paying a fee as well so I am thinking this adds to the theory Sunderland could very well be willing to let him go on a free.

It sounds like the deal is there to be done if we want to do it.

No doubt when he's on form he's one of the best defenders at this level and certainly capable of doing a job in the Championship. If he'd not have had some recent injury and form issues Sunderland probably wouldn't considering letting him go and would be making him their captain. But those factors have opened the door for us - it's just a case of if Sunderland over reacted and are mistakenly going to let go a good player for a bad blip or if Sunderland have correctly identified the player is on the way down and moving him on while his reputation is still pretty good.

Sunderland will say it's the latter while we clearly must think it's the former. Let's hope we are right and he's another Grigg who rediscovered his form once he left.

I agree with all of that (& it's worth pointing out that Burnley's takeover has saddled them with a huge debt at interest rates that haven't been made public).
I'd also agree that I doubt Phoenix would have bought us if they were happy to stay a Lge1 club

My point is that I hope whatever ambition they do have is done so with the ambition to stay within our means - I know they're looking at increasing revenue streams are are already bidding for concerts etc.. but I don't want us to get back in the same boat of an owner subbing the club £1mill a month to match those ambitions. It'll only end one way if that starts to happen again
Burnley unfortunately could be a ticking time bomb and one their fans are very much aware of.
For a good ten years they have been a good example for any club re their finances.
With one swoop and £200 million quid they are taken over with the vast majority taken as a loan set against the clubs assets.We all know assets mean nothing. So if the lads from the turf are relegated from the greed league then they could have major problems.

Hopefully we get Wright, That Chelsea lad, and McGrath in before the start of the season and I feel we will be okay, and have a really decent squad. The Chelsea lad is versatile and will really help and play a big part for that alone. I do feel we will need another centreback. I am confident enough with Lang, Aasgard, Edwards, and even Massey covering the wings. (Maybe Viv signs, but I don't think he wants to be here). Our midfield is already one of the best in the league with Naylor, Cousins, and Power, and potentially McGrath. Wyke, Humphreys, Lang, and Keane outputted a shed ton of goals between then last season so if they get the service then goals won't be a problem.

Forgot to mention that trialist Taylor Lad too that will also bolster the options on the wing so Viv is not really required. I think we will be safe there. I really rate Aasgard and with the right players around him he will flourish

Hopefully we get Wright, That Chelsea lad, and McGrath in before the start of the season and I feel we will be okay, and have a really decent squad. The Chelsea lad is versatile and will really help and play a big part for that alone. I do feel we will need another centreback. I am confident enough with Lang, Aasgard, Edwards, and even Massey covering the wings. (Maybe Viv signs, but I don't think he wants to be here). Our midfield is already one of the best in the league with Naylor, Cousins, and Power, and potentially McGrath. Wyke, Humphreys, Lang, and Keane outputted a shed ton of goals between then last season so if they get the service then goals won't be a problem.

Forgot to mention that trialist Taylor Lad too that will also bolster the options on the wing so Viv is not really required. I think we will be safe there. I really rate Aasgard and with the right players around him he will flourish
I think VIV is no longer in our thinking mate

I think VIV is no longer in our thinking mate

Viv has been spotted around the place a couple of times recently (probably doing his rehab) so while I'm not expecting him to stay I don't think the door is completely shut on him yet.

Later in the window depending on if we still need a player in Vivs position and offers he gets elsewhere I could see him signing even if just until January.

The loanee from Tranmere did more in 45 minutes at Fylde than VSO did all last season.
Forget about him, he wasn't good enough, isn't good enough and never will be good enough.
He's not fit to lace Gavs boots!!!!!

Nixon added some detail to his bit from the paper via Twitter: 'Wigan; Growing optimism on a deal for Bailey Wright at Sunderland. Should be fit for a game this week and then pose departure. Although clubs meeting in first match may be an issue …'

If we aren't paying a fee I can imagine Sunderland will want to probably delay the deal so he doesn't play against them. Makes sense from their perspective but we still need another CB anyway so hopefully even if we can't have Wright for the first game we'll have someone else to cover by then.

We're being linked with Jordan Jones a winger from Rangers. On loan at Sunderland last season who we apparently watched.

I can't get any links to work 🤔.

Chelsea youngster Henry Lawrence is set to complete a loan move to AFC Wimbledon tomorrow.

It will initially be a six month loan but likely be extended in January.

He had offers from Wigan and other teams in the Championship but he will get good playing time at the Dons. #CFC⁹