The Olympics thread | Vital Football

The Olympics thread

tomytony

Vital Champions League
Probably the most low key Olympics ever for obvious reasons.
Feel for the athletes who have trained for such an occasion but feel it will be largely meaningless.

We all saw football (endlessly) behind closed doors and that was difficult to get involved in.

In some of the more obscure sports a lot of the crowds were made up of family and friends and , without them,I fear it will be soul destroying with no atmosphere, no encouragement and no extra drive and motivation generated.

It will fill a few watching hours in between avoiding The 100 though.

Last edited:
I see Vital Blades favourite and scourge of Juventus Adolfo Gaich is playing for the Argies, GLTTL. It's a bit strange how the men's football tournament is under 23s plus some older pros but the women have named full strength squads of all ages - there must be a story behind it but I couldn't be bothered to look it up. The media will concentrate on the awful Megan Rapinoe and trying to make the whole thing a celebration of woke.

Low key, bloated, lacking in atmosphere - that's unfortunately what these games are looking like. Hopefully it heats up for the track & field events.

See they've added to the Olympic oath-
Faster,Higher, Stronger with Together

How's that work in a race??

Can't get interested. Especially in 'Team GB' if they're continuing the woke kneeling crusade.

Will watch the men's cycling and the main track events but that's about it.

Really struggling to muster the will to watch the football, straight after the Euros - and I guess that's something that's a factor in every Olympics as the years always align.

The hideous reality of an Olympics with no crowds is a total insult to all involved and single handedly ruins it, like it has everything else.

Just thought about that. I'm sure they'll manage somehow, even if it means falling in. Priorities.

So the men's road race podium......

Gold - Richard Carapaz
Silver - Wout Van Aert
Bronze - Tadej Pogacar

All riders fresh from stage winning form in the TdF, and even the overall winner of it.

Great effort from Carapaz. What a 2 years it's been for him.

So the men's road race podium......

Gold - Richard Carapaz
Silver - Wout Van Aert
Bronze - Tadej Pogacar

All riders fresh from stage winning form in the TdF, and even the overall winner of it.

Great effort from Carapaz. What a 2 years it's been for him.

Pleased for Carapaz after his attacking efforts in the tour and while the course suited him (and many others) the heat and humidity would probably have affected him far less than any of the European riders.
Good also that the first 10 home all came from different nations.
Small teams, many with no team mates at all, and no radios, usually makes for more interesting racing. Good race to watch.

My heart bleeds.

In an echo of the Norwegian commentator - "Dame Jess, Dame Kelly,Dame Tanny,Baron Coe,Sir Steve, Sir Chris,Sir Mo,the Brownlees,Doroothy Hyman,Anita Lonsborough and so many others I respect your commitment, effort, dedication and support of the Olympic motto -Citius, Altius,Fortius because today your wonderful achievements of the past have been totally and utterly trashed, disrespected and rendered meaningless"

To what do I refer?

Woke up early, put the tele on and there's some prats in a skate park with a bit of wood with wheels on jumping onto a railing and, at the end they gave one of them a gold medal.

FFS the world's gone mad :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Dumbing down for dumber and dumber recognised at the Olympics- what next ? Crib?

My heart bleeds.

In an echo of the Norwegian commentator - "Dame Jess, Dame Kelly,Dame Tanny,Baron Coe,Sir Steve, Sir Chris,Sir Mo,the Brownlees,Doroothy Hyman,Anita Lonsborough and so many others I respect your commitment, effort, dedication and support of the Olympic motto -Citius, Altius,Fortius because today your wonderful achievements of the past have been totally and utterly trashed, disrespected and rendered meaningless"

To what do I refer?

Woke up early, put the tele on and there's some prats in a skate park with a bit of wood with wheels on jumping onto a railing and, at the end they gave one of them a gold medal.

FFS the world's gone mad :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Dumbing down for dumber and dumber recognised at the Olympics- what next ? Crib?

2024 is supposed to have Competitive Cheerleading.

There certainly sports that have lost their place through losing popularity, but some of the replacements are laughable. Any sport that has to be subjectively marked by judges should be booted.

"Dumbing down for dumber and dumber recognised at the Olympics- what next ? Crib?"

Only if the Americans play it.